BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

Probably one of the best examples of politics and football always being hand in glove.

BBC 2 at 11:15pm (BST UK): The Great Game.

A look back at the World Cup match from France '98, which during the build-up was considered one of the most politically charged fixtures in history. Behind the scenes, officials had to contend with an alleged Al-qaeda terror plot, an attempted sabotage of the contest by an anti-Iranian government group, and an intervention by Iran's Supreme Leader

20 years ago already. ?Scary stuff.

• Moderation Lead

I thought Croatia were worthy winners tbh. Argentina didn’t pick their best team really, but even so, very disappointing for them.

A lot rides on Nigeria vs Iceland tomorrow with all to play for. Wouldn’t think a win was beyond Nigeria either!

I thought it was a terrific game for the neutral. Both sides were great, going at each other, either could have scored. Then the terrible mistake by the Argie keeper.

After that Croatia were being pulverised but, to their credit, kept attacking on the break. Then the great goal by Modrić and the Argies went to pieces; much like Brazil did when 3-0 down to Germany.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

With VAR, this is an improvement on what we saw in our domestic game, but it is still a work in progress. It works pretty well in both codes of rugby, but you have rucks, tackles and so on.

The problem with VAR is that it still involves people.

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

If argentina had croatias midfield their strikers would score 10 goals a game..in reality argentinas midfield, defence and goalkeeper are awful..says alot when they have no one better than the over the hill mascherano.  Their forwards are quality poor everywhere else.

It’s probably one of the worst Argentina squads in some time.

Croatia has a good team with one of the best midfields in the competition. They could go far this World Cup. Realistically they only have France and Spain as contenders for a spot in the final, and France have looked really poor so far. 

Australia played well against Denmark. The penalty goal was very fortunate for us, but we were by far the better team in the second half and I was disappointed we couldn’t get a winner. Arzani looks like a very promising player and Leckie was excellent. 

3 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

If Argentina lined up like this they would have strolled through the group as they would have had some balance to their side, the way they lined up tonight was square pegs in round holes with better more suitable players on the bench. A real shame to lose them from the competition as Argentinian fans are the finest football fans in the world.

Armani

Otamendi          Mascherano         Fazio

Salvio                                                                                     Tagliafico Di Maria

Banega                                Lo Celso

Dybala                        Messi                     Di Maria  

Aguero/Higuain

I'd drop DI Maria back so I could play either Aguero or Higuaín up top. Goals galore there.

3 hours ago, bazza said:

I thought it was a terrific game for the neutral. Both sides were great, going at each other, either could have scored. Then the terrible mistake by the Argie keeper.

After that Croatia were being pulverised but, to their credit, kept attacking on the break. Then the great goal by Modrić and the Argies went to pieces; much like Brazil did when 3-0 down to Germany.

It was a great game. I wonder how it would have ended if the Argentina lad (Meza?) hadn't missed an open goal?

Modric and Ratikic are an outstanding pairing. As good a partnership as Uruguay's Giminez and Godin.

The latest England gossip has Sterling being dropped. I'd wager that few would argue against Rashford and Loftus-Cheek starting.

6 hours ago, Husky said:

I heard a rumour that Donkey Murphy is on the BBC stream. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Yeah he is pal. He’s cringeworthy and thoroughly useless. Just before Ronaldo took that late free kick against Spain he said that he wouldn’t score! Someone mentioned that you can swap the commentary whilst watching games for a Radio Five commentary but unfortunately unable to work out how to do it. 

Brilliant game- agreed Argentina have a rubbish manager.

Croatia look very dangerous opponents in a competition lacking a stand out side so far. Russia are banging them in but are in the worst group ever seen in a World Cup finals- there's an invitation for someone to offer worse.

Croatia look a very very good team. It's amazing a country smaller than Scotland keeps on turning out such great players. Didn't quite realise the level of quality they have right through the side.

Argentina are gonnas, absolutely shambolic. Player for player they have a great side, probably the best set of attacking players at the tournament. To perform like that was inexcusable.

France were boring and flat yesterday, but ultimately effective. Look like they are going to grind their way through which is a shame considering their talent.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Argentina are gonnas, absolutely shambolic. Player for player they have a great side, probably the best set of attacking players at the tournament. To perform like that was inexcusable.

What is inexcusable is Sampaoli's selections. No Banega, Di Maria, Lo Celso, Dybala, Pavon. I could go on. Needs sacking before the Nigeria game!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Croatia look a very very good team. It's amazing a country smaller than Scotland keeps on turning out such great players. Didn't quite realise the level of quality they have right through the side.

France were boring and flat yesterday, but ultimately effective. Look like they are going to grind their way through which is a shame considering their talent.

A few of the Baltic states produce real quality players with great desire. I saw Serbia play their first game and they, like Croatia play an exciting brand of football but have a real strength and desire about them. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

What is inexcusable is Sampaoli's selections. No Banega, Di Maria, Lo Celso, Dybala, Pavon. I could go on. Needs sacking before the Nigeria game!

Not to mention his inability to pick a proper formation. Apparently the 3-4-3 (ended up being more like a 3-5-2) they used last night was the same formation that they used when Spain beat them 6-1 in March. Although Sampaoli has used it successfully in the past with Chile, it's a system the Argentina players aren't comfortable or particularly familiar with. Messi apparently doesn't like that formation as he doesn't think it affords him enough space. 

It's easy to forget that Argentina had some top players out there, though. Sergio Aguero is supposed to be one of the best forwards in the world and I've barely seen his name mentioned. 

• Like 1

Argentina didn't play a single ball player in the middle of the park. They couldn't build or dominate possession. So they were stuck with a bunch of attackers not getting the ball and subsequently drifting out of position to come and get it. At one point Messi dropped between the centre backs to receive the ball! 

At the same time Sampoali was to arrogant to have them sit back, the side didn't press the opposition and didnt have anyone who could put a foot on the ball in the middle of the pitch. Modric and Rakatic must have been creaming themselves. On top of this the two wing backs had no interest in defending so Croatia had 3 up top against 3 at the back. 

Sampaoli then once the argies are 1 - 0 down decides to bring on dybala for a midfield player. This was the only time Argentina were regaining a foothold then he ruined it as dybala was just up top and drifting so they became overrun in midfield again. 

The funny thing is Argentina have a few central midfield playmakers who simply weren't on the pitch. With the players at his disposal that was the most dismal set up of a side I've ever seen in my entire life. Made even worse by him posing with his tattooed guns out in a stupidly tight t-shirt at the end. He's a nob. Aguero at the end storming out saying the manager can say what he wants, he doesn't care. He needs to be sacked now and Argentina hope for a miracle. 

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I fancy Argentina to beat France in the knock-out stage.

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, Husky said:

Ah, the infamous.

England

Algeria

Slovenia

Yanks

The 0-0 Vs Algeria was one of the most soul-crushing ninety minutes in recent memory. Capped off by Rooney having a pop at the fans at the end. 

Just now, Audax said:

I"m looking forward to a Netherlands Italy finals but do see the USA going far in the knockout rounds.

Another one jumping on the over reaction bandwagon. ?

Iceland aren't going to score many goals and a crap Nigeria side are going to feel the wrath come the last group game.