BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Its all guesswork and rumour. I  pay no notice of such random figures, not to offend anyone on here before you say im calling people liars.

If you choose to believe the rumours then fair enough. 

Only reason we are discussing what we think of the budget is because we have nothing tangible to talk about, ie transfers!

In regards to todays rumour, us scouting Ashley Fletcher ahead of signing him up, a definite no from me, we could have just been looking at someone else, ie Chapman.

Its all well and good saying hes not settled at Sunderland or whatever but across his career, nothing about it shouts that he will be a good addition at Championship level.

Id be surprised however as it doesnt fit into Mowbray saying that his loans were on hold until their Prem parent clubs came back from their pre-season tours etc.

I have zero reasons not to trust @J*B or @unleaded and their info.

why would we need to scout Chapman? 

I wouldn't Fletcher as a striker. he brings pace and that's we need. I would say his career has kick on due to never had time to settle down play for a full season or 2. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Room for improvement is practically an irrelevance when the player is a loan, which he almost certainly will be.

And hes never shown any real signs of quality for any of the 4 clubs hes been at. Barnsley was his best spell and even there in League 1, he was far from prolific.

We have to be able to get better, otherwise we may as well persist with Nuttall and Samuel.

did you see him much at Sunderland or Barnsley? 

2 hours ago, scotchrover said:

Even if they did have money, the financial rules governing the league currently would stop us from buying every Tom, Dick and Harry. 

I’m disappointed with how the current summer transfer situation is, but I still think we’ll bring someone in before next weekend, maybe more. Even if we don’t, I still think there’s 3 worse teams in this league than us.  Bolton, Rotherham, QPR, Birmingham, Reading, Hull and Ipswich all come to mind when I think of crap squads. There’s plenty of other teams without world beaters too, like Swansea and Preston.

To cheer you all up, have a look at some of the other club’s signings. I reckon Sheffield Wednesday, Swansea, Preston, Ipswich and QPR have all had transfer period worse than us....

https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2 

Birmingham could be in a transfer embargo shortly so that's will be interesting for them. 

Bolton need 6 or 7 more players and Rotherham haven't bought I wish we had. 

QPR were never going to spend big and it will be tough for McClaren. Guess their use the under 23's and Bring through some academy players. 

Ipswich have signed no one I would deffo buy. Like Edwards but only see him in 2 games. 

Hull need signings. 

Surprise at Preston signings tbh. 

Sheffield Wednesday look like cost cutting there and getting rid of high earners

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't Fletcher as a striker. he brings pace and that's we need. I would say his career has kick on due to never had time to settle down play for a full season or 2. 

Birmingham could be in a transfer embargo shortly so that's will be interesting for them. 

QPR were never going to spend big and it will be tough for McClaren. Guess their use the under 23's and Bring through some academy players. 

Ipswich have signed no one I would deffo buy. Like Edwards but only see him in 2 games. 

Hull need signings. 

Sheffield Wednesday look like cost cutting there and getting rid of high earners

Sheffield Wednesday had a massive bloated and expensive squad. Even letting a few go and not adding anyone they've still got a strong squad for this league.

Preston very nearly made the play offs and haven't lost anyone major.

When will Birmingham be put under an embargo? October when the window is shut? 

We are weaker than last season and we were in the 3rd division last season. Can't say that for many of our rivals.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AJW said:

Without wishing to open up old wounds , we are capable of getting 20k plus gates also , only we have fans who no longer wish to come to games 

Completely the fault of these owners that we’ve lot so much of our match going support, but the facts are we don’t get close to 20,000+ crowds and won’t in this division, so our lower income is a reality.

• Like 2

Really?!
Jordan Roberts is a decent option, and would obviously offer more than Gladwin.

Gwion Edwards is a talented winger, something we definitely need and at worst would be a decent option to complement Conway.

Ellis Harrison is a very talented forward who would sit ahead of Samuel for me. Would have been a decent second striker out of the two strikers we need to sign.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neophox said:

Alot of things will happen this week and next week regarding Rovers and other teams in the league. Its been set of today with alot of signings imminent.

I agree. I think we can expect a bust week now. 

2 hours ago, neophox said:

Nice to go into a season with a manager that knows his players and knows and spin on from the promotion!

Exactly. Mowbray has his targets and that's he is still waiting. either club want too much money or not willing sell them until they got their signings in

Just now, JHRover said:

Sheffield Wednesday had a massive bloated and expensive squad. Even letting a few go and not adding anyone they've still got a strong squad for this league.

We are weaker than last season and we were in the 3rd division last season. Can't say that for many of our rivals.

Preston have lost Cunningham and still haven’t really replaced Huggil. I think they’ll struggle this year. I’d be furious if I supported that lot- all that money from West Ham and they’re still signing people for next to nothing. 

• Like 1

Hull need signings. 

Fair enough, thats your choice but im not going work off any presumptions that anyone knows our exact budget.

If you believe what unleaded has said I presume you are mad at Mowbray for convincing the owners to spend less than what they initially planned?

Regarding Fletcher, firstly im not convinced that Alan Myers has his finger on the pulse seeing as he left Rovers a few years ago, so not convinced the story is true. (Not calling him a liar either before you say it) Like I said, hes also not a loan whose at a Prem club as per what Mowbray has said.

Samuel and Nuttall have pace, and neither of them are good enough for us. Pace isnt enough, and hes not provided a goal threat. His goal return thus far is pitiful. I find it slightly hypocritical that you are writing off my opinion implying that I havent seen them enough, considering your defiant views on the likes of Maddison and Kent, negative and positive, when you havent seen them play.

I would say his career has kick on due to never had time to settle down play for a full season or 2 - that maybe the case to an extent, but hes never done anything to suggest that hes a good Championship player, anytime soon. He may have some raw attributes but the likelihood is that hed be on loan anyway.

Preston have done well in this league for a couple of years and are well ahead of us. Sheffield Wednesday settled down towards the end of last season once their best players, Bannan, Lees, Forestieri etc returned to fitness and again both of them are well ahead of where we are now.

That said, there are some pretty poor teams at the moment, Bolton, Rotherham, Birmingham etc, but we are amongst them at the moment with our non existent attack. Sign players like Fletcher and I still see us amongst them, sign better and youd think we would finish above the likes of these.

Just now, scotchrover said:

Preston have lost Cunningham and still haven’t really replaced Huggil. I think they’ll struggle this year. I’d be furious if I supported that lot- all that money from West Ham and they’re still signing people for next to nothing. 

Hugill isnt very good. Seani Maguire is a far better player IMO. Cummingham will be a miss but Ledson (far more highly rated than Rothwell) will be a good accompaniment to Pearson and Browne, and they have plenty of attacking options.

Just now, JHRover said:

The same Sheffield Wednesday squad that was poor and didn't perform. 

Preston wont achieve that again. 

That's a question for Football League not me. 

The Transfer Window isn't close yet so lets wait and see who we sign 1st. Patience is need. Mpowbray is on the record saying his 1st targets are still available. So lets see who he can sign them

Just now, RovingRover said:

Really?!
Jordan Roberts is a decent option, and would obviously offer more than Gladwin.

Gwion Edwards is a talented winger, something we definitely need and at worst would be a decent option to complement Conway.

Ellis Harrison is a very talented forward who would sit ahead of Samuel for me. Would have been a decent second striker out of the two strikers we need to sign.

all 3 have never played Championship football. Had to google Jordan Roberts name. Edwards impress me but would like to see over a longer time. Harrison very talent but never played this level. Would take Armstrong over him every day of the week and twice on Sunday

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, renrag said:

However, it wouldn’t have made any difference, we would still have been down on goals scored. Lack of goals and Coyle were the main causes of our demise

True, but it would have been a whole other ball game that last day if we were two goals closer. All what if's though isn't it. What if Gallagher had kept it in the corner, what if Gallagher had got that stone wall pen vs Brisol etc. 

What if David Raya had played 46 games...

What if the window closes and all we do is loan a few unproven premiership kids ?

The Transfer Window isn't close yet so lets wait and see who we sign 1st. Patience is need. Mpowbray is on the record saying his 1st targets are still available. So lets see who he can sign them

all 3 have never played Championship football. Had to google Jordan Roberts name. Edwards impress me but would like to see over a longer time. Harrison very talent but never played this level. Would take Armstrong over him every day of the week and twice on Sunday

11th, 11th and 7th are Prestons last 3 finishes. Can you please say why you think they wont finish around there again, and if you think that they will finish below us? Turned themselves into a consistent top half Championship side, far ahead of us at the moment sadly.

Agree that we should judge him on who he signs. But no one has said otherwise. Need to sign 4 players that combined, are better than Armstrong/Chapman/Payne/Antonsson to be better than last season.

Armstrong over Harrison? Totally agree, but hes not our player so its irrelevant! 

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Fair enough, thats your choice but im not going work off any presumptions that anyone knows our exact budget.

If you believe what unleaded has said I presume you are mad at Mowbray for convincing the owners to spend less than what they initially planned?

Regarding Fletcher, firstly im not convinced that Alan Myers has his finger on the pulse seeing as he left Rovers a few years ago, so not convinced the story is true. (Not calling him a liar either before you say it) Like I said, hes also not a loan whose at a Prem club as per what Mowbray has said.

Samuel and Nuttall have pace, and neither of them are good enough for us. Pace isnt enough, and hes not provided a goal threat. His goal return thus far is pitiful. I find it slightly hypocritical that you are writing off my opinion implying that I havent seen them enough, considering your defiant views on the likes of Maddison and Kent, negative and positive, when you havent seen them play.

I would say his career has kick on due to never had time to settle down play for a full season or 2 - that maybe the case to an extent, but hes never done anything to suggest that hes a good Championship player, anytime soon. He may have some raw attributes but the likelihood is that hed be on loan anyway.

Preston have done well in this league for a couple of years and are well ahead of us. Sheffield Wednesday settled down towards the end of last season once their best players, Bannan, Lees, Forestieri etc returned to fitness and again both of them are well ahead of where we are now.

That said, there are some pretty poor teams at the moment, Bolton, Rotherham, Birmingham etc, but we are amongst them at the moment with our non existent attack. Sign players like Fletcher and I still see us amongst them, sign better and youd think we would finish above the likes of these.

I respected both JB and Unleaded. 

I see no reason to question Alan Myers and his comments. Still know people who worked at Rovers at the time he worked the same time he did like Ian Slivester, Etc

We have to agree and disagree on Fletcher. 

Preston have done well but no investment over the summer despite the sale of Hugill and Cunningham. 

• Backroom

Remember Mowbray saying one problem was he had too many good options with regards to who to sign.

Would be interesting to know if he still sees that as an issue 

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

11th, 11th and 7th are Prestons last 3 finishes. Can you please say why you think they wont finish around there again, and if you think that they will finish below us? Turned themselves into a consistent top half Championship side, far ahead of us at the moment sadly.

Agree that we should judge him on who he signs. But no one has said otherwise. Need to sign 4 players that combined, are better than Armstrong/Chapman/Payne/Antonsson to be better than last season.

Armstrong over Harrison? Totally agree, but hes not our player so its irrelevant! 

Preston have done well but no investment over the summer despite the sale of Hugill and Cunningham.  

Yes some players are panicking and worrying instead of trust Mowbray and over the past 18 months he has earned the trust of every fan since all his time here. 

Yet again but hopefully he signs shortly

I respected both JB and Unleaded. 

I see no reason to question Alan Myers and his comments. Still know people who worked at Rovers at the time he worked the same time he did like Ian Slivester, Etc

We have to agree and disagree on Fletcher. 

We will see.

You mention Hugill but they sold him in Jan, hes not the best of players and they had Maguire who looks a far better and more prolific striker and pushed them higher in the table. They are another example to us that even with little money, quality is out there.

And who has said that they dont trust Mowbray? No one has. Any distrust is understandably at the feet of our terrible owners. If we dont spend anything/a competitive amount the brunt of the blame will end up at their door. That said, there have been cheap deals and loan deals that have already taken place to show you can get decent players on a budget but thats a conversation for another day.

As pointed out previously, you are getting as impatient and panicky as anyone based on your pestering of journalists and supposed people who claim they know transfer news.

20 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

Hugill left in January yet they maintained their play-off push without him. Almost dingle-esque. Fair enough on Cunningham though not sure how much of a miss he'll be. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It wasn't a poor Sheffield Wednesday squad. They had a bad run with injuries and massively underachieved after 2 play-off campaigns before last year.

We'll see on Preston. They probably won't hit the same heights but they're starting from a healthier position than we are.

Just now, K-Hod said:

A lot of talk about people not trusting Mowbray, when it’s Venky’s people don’t trust. (With good reason).

Ironically this appears to have been initiated by our main ITKer in recent times.

Why would anyone turn down being given more money to spend? To lower expectations?

I’d be astonished if Mowbray said to Venkys “no don’t give me any more money, we’ll just make do”.

• Like 2

I'd be astonished nah totally utterly amazed if he went in there asking for 20 million it's a sure way to get fook all out of this lot and at the same time put your head on the block.

If this has come from where I think it might have it seems to be the stock answer afforded to every manager meeting with Venkys from that source.

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

Ironically this appears to have been initiated by our main ITKer in recent times.

Why would anyone turn down being given more money to spend? To lower expectations?

I’d be astonished if Mowbray said to Venkys “no don’t give me any more money, we’ll just make do”.

I think it’s poetic licence myself, we know Mowbray said he wants to organically grow the squad rather than bring in high earners and upset the balance but I don’t think that necessarily translates to him turning down for money for players   

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

How many players out of our starting XI have successfully?

Neither Marcus Maddison or Jack Marriott have played in the Championship. Would you turn them away?

Simple fact of the matter is Venky's have turned Blackburn Rovers into beggars and we certainly cannot be choosers as long as they continue.

Any chance we have of success comes through risk. I'd rather have talented League One players who could surprise us all than be lacking in numbers. Something I fear we could be in the not to distant future.

• Like 1

Just now, RovingRover said:

How many players out of our starting XI have successfully?

Neither Marcus Maddison or Jack Marriott have played in the Championship. Would you turn them away?

Simple fact of the matter is Venky's have turned Blackburn Rovers into beggars and we certainly cannot be choosers as long as they continue.

Any chance we have of success comes through risk. I'd rather have talented League One players who could surprise us all than be lacking in numbers. Something I fear we could be in the not to distant future.

Its a bizarre and inconsistent theory. Dack hasnt played any Championship football, hes our best player. Jason Lowe has loads, same with Hope Akpan, both rubbish. Ashley Fletcher has very little, of which all is negative, yet he wants to sign him. Armstrong hasnt been that successful in the past in the Championship, yet he wants to sign him. Chapman, has he played in the Championship? If he has, very little experience, yet he wants him. Maddison, Edwards, Adelakun? No he doesnt want them as they dont have the elusive Championship experience.

If a player has been successful in this league, then yes, its a positive. But players who have played in this league and been below the quality needed, are not better than those that have yet to play but have been very successful in other leagues, just by saying "Championship experience."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, briansol said:

Yeah you misrepresented opinion knowingly. Uncalled for in my book. I've tried to keep a polite profile here, doesn't seem to work so well so maybe I've been too soft.

Totally agree we are weaker than Div 1 and this transfer window hasn't gone to plan. Mowbray asked to be judged at the end of the window and I will.  He says he is confident the deals wil be done by then, if they're not the window has been a major fail. 

I did no such thing nor would I but let's not bore everyone. We will all judge the manager when the window closes but it doesn't stop people from saying things don't appear to be going to schedule(to put it mildly).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its a bizarre and inconsistent theory. Dack hasnt played any Championship football, hes our best player. Jason Lowe has loads, same with Hope Akpan, both rubbish. Ashley Fletcher has very little, of which all is negative, yet he wants to sign him. Armstrong hasnt been that successful in the past in the Championship, yet he wants to sign him. Chapman, has he played in the Championship? If he has, very little experience, yet he wants him. Maddison, Edwards, Adelakun? No he doesnt want them as they dont have the elusive Championship experience.

If a player has been successful in this league, then yes, its a positive. But players who have played in this league and been below the quality needed, are not better than those that have yet to play but have been very successful in other leagues, just by saying "Championship experience."

You only have to look at delli ali at spurs..played league 1 and has gone on to become one of spurs top players (most of the time)

• Like 1