BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

39 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We haven't created anything for him in the last few games.If we were creating chances and he was missing then fair enough but the team in general have been below par.

We had 2 decent chances the other night and Brererton created the penalty appeal himself

It would have been most likely he'd scored that penalty which may have given him a much needed boost.

• Like 1

Ben's arrival in Chile, mins 0:38 to 1:32

"Ben Brereton heads the arrival of national team players" reads the title during that segment

Ben was quickly whisked off to his hotel.  Here: https://www.noihotels.com/noi-vitacura

That oxygen tank chamber was paid for by the Chilean FA and installed in Ben's own home in December in preparation for these games in January vs Hungertina and Bolivia at altitude.  There is concern that Ben style of play, which involves a lot of running and sprinting, may cost him during these games since he as no experience playing in the thin air he can expect for these matches.  Chilean players also are not used to playing at altitude but at least every player on the team has done so before.  

The first team practice will be Sunday.  Brereton is the first player from abroad to arrive.  The report stated BBD went to train by himself later that same day.

Edited by LordBaltimore

5 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

Ben's arrival in Chile, mins 0:38 to 1:32

"Ben Brereton heads the arrival of national team players" reads the title during that segment

I really don’t think ‘he almost went to Leeds’, as she’s claiming. There’d have been mention of that here at some point if so, but there’s been nothing of the sort. I get the impression that in Chile they just like linking him with transfers.

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

He does normally come back ftom International duty with a confidance boost and a spring in his step, hopefully that's the case again. 

Just worried he's going to pick up a nasty injury out there sometime, especially if he starts getting singled out by the oppo due to all the hype around him

I'm hoping for that too,  or 4 games without a BBD goal seems strange.

Even if he does get injured, I'm not worried, we have the mighty Sam Gallagher, who I'm sure would easily take up the slack should that occur.

🤔😂😂😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frosty said:

I really don’t think ‘he almost went to Leeds’, as she’s claiming. There’d have been mention of that here at some point if so, but there’s been nothing of the sort. I get the impression that in Chile they just like linking him with transfers.

You are correct.  He has been no where close to a Leeds transfer despite their interest.  Leeds has totally given up on him at least until summer given how expensive he is & how much Rovers want to keep him.  Sports journslists are the same all over, often ill informed and talking out their ass.

Leeds is the most popular premier league team in both Argentina & Chile.  This is due to Marcelo Bielsa coaching there.  All Leeds games are broadcast in both countries.  While Bielsa divides opinions in Argentina due to his "failure" at getting the great 2002 Argentina team out of the 1st round (i'm sure many here remember their game vs England), Marcelo is almost universally loved/beloved in Chile for his imprint on the national team and the so-called "golden generation" of Chilean football.

For those that don't know, the Bielsa family is one of highly intelligent high achievers in Rosario, Argentina's 2nd largest city.  Marcelo's brother Rafael is the current ambassador to Chile.  His sister is a prominent politician, was vice governor of a province and has been a cabinet member.

So the idea of Ben playing at Leeds and being improved and moulded by Marcelo Bielsa excites everyone in Chile.  This reporter obviously let wishful thinking get ahead of the facts.

Edited by LordBaltimore
  • Like 6

The biggest sports news last night was, of course, Ben's arrival in Santiago.

Big Ben has arrived

20220122_103038.thumb.jpg.52566a66676da65f9cb7252d57aec608.jpg

Unlike what the earlier video I posted stated, Ben did NOT go to his hotel but instead was taken to a private bedroom at the Chilean national team training grounds in order to await the results of his Covid test, as required by Chilean regulations, where he then trained alone.  The team will take a private plane north to Calama on Sunday with their first training at 2260m on Monday.

"Big Ben is in Chile and ready for the altitude"

20220122_103145.thumb.jpg.4d919b55bab6da4bd2696326cb5b4fad.jpg

Much of the coverage again focussed on his "specialized training" in his use of a hyperbaric chamber provided to him by the Chilean FA in his own residence.

20220122_103148.thumb.jpg.e361ea5418c35dbfd8f02dce24091a00.jpg

The hyperbaric tank, presumably this is the actual tank in Ben's abode.

20220122_103233.thumb.jpg.8d2437dbb3094426560f489bb58759e6.jpg

Edited by LordBaltimore

On 19/01/2022 at 02:33, LordBaltimore said:

his training for altitude should benefit him even at sea level (or 6ft above sea level).  more oxygen to the muscles, increased aerobic capacity.  at least that is what the research seems to show.

So why doesn't every athlete use that training ?

1 hour ago, LordBaltimore said:

Who knows.  When was the last time a Bolivian or someone from Tibet won a marathon?  

32 minutes ago, rigger said:

Or a snickers.

All the East African countries like Kenya, Ethiopia etc, have athletes born and brought up at altitude. Plus athletes like Paula Radcliffe, Mo Farah trained at altitude. It well known that it increases the oxygen carrying ability of your blood. Why it’s not used in other sports, I suppose for football the come round so quickly that it’s not practical.

Regarding this hyperbaric thing, I cannot understand how being put under greater atmospheric pressure and greater oxygen levels can help someone who will be sprinting around in a rarified atmosphere containing less oxygen. Seems topsy turvy to me.

4 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

All the East African countries like Kenya, Ethiopia etc, have athletes born and brought up at altitude. Plus athletes like Paula Radcliffe, Mo Farah trained at altitude. It well known that it increases the oxygen carrying ability of your blood. Why it’s not used in other sports, I suppose for football the come round so quickly that it’s not practical.

That would point to it being useful for stamina, not so much for sprinting or quick movements. 

1 minute ago, bazza said:

Regarding this hyperbaric thing, I cannot understand how being put under greater atmospheric pressure and greater oxygen levels can help someone who will be sprinting around in a rarified atmosphere containing less oxygen. Seems topsy turvy to me.

Isn't the chamber used, to get the body acclimatised to a lower amount of oxygen and pressure in the atmosphere ?  

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

Isn't the chamber used, to get the body acclimatised to a lower amount of oxygen and pressure in the atmosphere ?  

I glanced quickly through the wiki link but couldn't find anything about that. It's used to treat bubbles in the blood in deep sea divers plus lots of other medical conditions.

52 minutes ago, bazza said:

I glanced quickly through the wiki link but couldn't find anything about that. It's used to treat bubbles in the blood in deep sea divers plus lots of other medical conditions.

That is when they are used to increase the atmospheric pressure, to simulate being back  below sea-level. The chambers can also be used to reduce the atmospheric pressure to simulate being at altitude, this allows the body over time to gradually acclimatise to the lack of pressure and less oxygen.   

Edited by rigger

38 minutes ago, rigger said:

That is when they are used to increase the atmospheric pressure, to simulate being back  below sea-level. The chambers can also be used to reduce the atmospheric pressure to simulate being at altitude, this allows the body over time to gradually acclimatise to the lack of pressure and less oxygen.   

The key aspect being over time as doesn't it take 2-3 weeks for the body to adapt to the lower O2 content.

5 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

The key aspect being over time as doesn't it take 2-3 weeks for the body to adapt to the lower O2 content.

It depends on the body. I presume that it is being used, to maximise the effect. It might not be perfect, but it is better than nothing.