BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Most chileans would face-palm if those 3 chileans were to be flown up to Blackburn & give red-carpet treatment.  They find the song, those guys, and their "fame" to be, as chileans now say, "cringe".  But fair play to them.  I think it'd be fun.  My 4 & 2yr old kids seem to like the song.

• Like 1

• Backroom
5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I was wondering if his Spanish has come along yet...the answer is clearly no! Ah well, great to see Chileans willing to fly out in these uncertain times to see us and our famous Chilean. It won't become a regular occurrence that will up our gates of course, but great for the player and great for those two lads who got to see him score, meet him and take a signed shirt home for their troubles. 

His spanish is still non-existant.  I dont think he has a head for a 2nd language.  I'm not saying he's dim, just languages arent his thing.  The older chilean who greets him, 1st thing he did was ask Ben how his spanish was progressing.  When Ben tells him it isnt, the guy responds with an emphatic and surprised "¿¡Not yet!?" (Still nothing?!), then starts listing the most common chilean-spanish expletives, and Ben nods & repeats the words enthusiastically.

A few weeks ago, Ben's mom did a long interview on a Chilean morning tv talk show where she marvelled at how quickly he was embraced & accepted by his team mates & chileans in general.  BUT she "complained" that he returns from his Chile stints with nothing but expletives and a very dirty mouth, LOL.

Edited by LordBaltimore
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

A covid passport does not prove that you havent currently got covid. I just thought it seemed strange that fans have specificaly been told not to interact with players yet the club are promoting a video doing exactly that. Seems an unnecessary risk at a time where games are being called off left right and centre.

It was planned visit and the club cleared organised the meet which was outside with the fan and Ben Brereton. Plus Brereton is tested everyday and the fan who have need a PCR test to enter the country. Everything was done properly

This stuff going over the top now. 

What are we to make of the growing media conviction that BBD is the focus of strong attention from Leeds and Brighton this January? 

If it was me, I'd stay till the end of the season, just to see where it goes - but then again, as we know with Rovers, things can go from being rosy at home, to being desperately bad very quickly. So, maybe his head might be turned by the prospect of getting to test himself in the Premier League sooner, rather than later.

I do hope not!

Leeds seems the most desperate for his services.  Their starting team is depleted and they can't score goals.  But Leeds won't be spending UK$30M on an "untested" player like Ben.  I've read a lot more about Newcastle's apparent interest in BBD than from Brighton.  Newcastle seems to have the money but I hope BBD doesn't move to a team that could be relegated (Leeds dosn't look great either in this respect).  I haven't seen much from Spain in the last 6wks so maybe Sevilla has moved on.

7 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

Leeds seems the most desperate for his services.  Their starting team is depleted and they can't score goals.  But Leeds won't be spending UK$30M on an "untested" player like Ben.  I've read a lot more about Newcastle's apparent interest in BBD than from Brighton.  Newcastle seems to have the money but I hope BBD doesn't move to a team that could be relegated (Leeds dosn't look great either in this respect).  I haven't seen much from Spain in the last 6wks so maybe Sevilla has moved on.

Newcastle need a nailed on proven top level goal scorer. They would be foolish to gamble on Ben. That’s not to say they won’t. I’m not impressed with the management set up there.

I didn’t think Armstrong would cut it in the premier league and I don’t think Brereton would either. He’s not technically very good, he’s not that quick and he’s not strong either; top class defenders in the PL would dominate him easily. He also seems to be a player who thrives on confidence, as at present, and would soon go back into his shell. I’m enjoying his current run of form but the reality is even if we got promoted we’d need to replace him if we wanted to survive in the top flight 

• Like 1

It's incredible to think that BBD was arguably our biggest liability and is now our biggest asset. His confidence has gone from zero to massive in a few months and even considering selling him now would scupper any chance of success this season in my view. Clearly strengthening the squad is important but I really believe that the best signings we could make are the soon to be out of contract players. Anything else would be a bonus to me.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

I didn’t think Armstrong would cut it in the premier league and I don’t think Brereton would either. He’s not technically very good, he’s not that quick and he’s not strong either; top class defenders in the PL would dominate him easily. He also seems to be a player who thrives on confidence, as at present, and would soon go back into his shell. I’m enjoying his current run of form but the reality is even if we got promoted we’d need to replace him if we wanted to survive in the top flight 

The standard of the Premier League and financial inequality is immense, especially, towards the top, and will likely only rise as Newcastle recruit first team players. The current Prem topscorer is Mohammed Salah and amongst the joint 20th league top scorers are Bruno Fernandes, Benrahma, Foden, De Bruyne and Maddison. In previous years, they would be near the top. (The fact that teams have big squads and tend to play with three forwards does spread the goals out more, now, I think).

Contrast that with the Championship and the current top scorers are Mitrovic, Brereton, Solanke, Piroe, Grabban, Adebayo and Weimann. Without knowing a great deal about most of these players, the gulf seems huge. Perhaps, insurmountable.

For Armstrong or Brereton to score goals in the Prem will take much more than would have been the case in the past when, for example, an Andy Johnson or Marcus Stewart could lead a newly promoted team up the league. The season Rovers last got promoted to the Premier League in 2000-01, newly promoted Ipswich Town, who had attained promotion via the play-offs, finished 5th in the Premier League. Sunderland finished 7th and Charlton 9th. Back then, there was great inequality, with Leeds, Chelsea, Man U and others spending big but nothing like what we're seeing now.

The financial and squad quality inequality is, perhaps, greater than ever for the bottom of the league clubs and the rest. However, I think that players like Patrick Bamford and, perhaps, Teemu Pukki should give them some hope. Brereton's goals, at the moment, remind of me of Jamie Vardy, in the sense that a lot is off counter-attacks and racing against the last defenders. A counter-attack side would probably suit him much more than a possession based one. Probably, the same for Armstrong.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 3

There are exceptions but Mitrovic is a good example of what it takes to make it in the premier league. Couldn’t hit a barn door in the prem with Newcastle. Went to Fulham in the championship going at a goal a game. Back into the prem nothing, back into the championship mid 20s, back into the prem 3 goals last season and back into the championship going at 22/22.

Pukki went at about 30 a season in the championship probably 10 a season in the prem. It’s a big gulf. If either Armstrong or Brereton get into double figures it would be surprising so £30 million is a lot to ask and I’d be equally surprised if a club took the punt with that price tag. 

8 minutes ago, matt83 said:

There are exceptions but Mitrovic is a good example of what it takes to make it in the premier league. Couldn’t hit a barn door in the prem with Newcastle. Went to Fulham in the championship going at a goal a game. Back into the prem nothing, back into the championship mid 20s, back into the prem 3 goals last season and back into the championship going at 22/22.

Pukki went at about 30 a season in the championship probably 10 a season in the prem. It’s a big gulf. If either Armstrong or Brereton get into double figures it would be surprising so £30 million is a lot to ask and I’d be equally surprised if a club took the punt with that price tag. 

I think Mitrovic has been decent where ever he has been.  To say he couldn't hit a barn door is a bit unfair.  He is a very good, well proven striker. His international record speaks volumes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Anyone who wants Brereton will need to pay over 30 million pounds and I cannot see Leeds or any other club paying that

Do you really think if 25m was offered that Venkys would be able to resist?

I dont think anyone will bid that amount but if they do, Venkys wont care where we are in the league.

17 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

He isnt going anywhere in January

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Do you really think if 25m was offered that Venkys would be able to resist?

I dont think anyone will bid that amount but if they do, Venkys wont care where we are in the league.

And nor would 90% of owners.If forest got offered big money for Johnson in the morning he would be gone .If Bournemouth got offered 25 for Solanke he would be gone.

I wouldnt take £25 million personally as likely to get 15-20 in the summer anyway but many other owners would take the money.

Talk that Stoke selling Campbell to Newcastle for £20 and he is under contract longer than Brererton.That would put a dent in their hopes of promotion

4 hours ago, rigger said:

Is that meant to be an image of Diaz booting out the corona virus ?

that is the great thing about Art:  it's democratic and there are no right and wrongs.  Everyone makes it their own.  Sure, maybe he's giving the boot to coronavirus.  Or maybe he's about to boot one of those spikey naval mines.  I found it on my chilean meme site so i have no idea.  

On 02/01/2022 at 19:49, islander200 said:

Talk that Stoke selling Campbell to Newcastle for £20 and he is under contract longer than Brererton.That would put a dent in their hopes of promotion

Cheap. The Fox and Hound could afford that.

• Like 1