BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s pretty underwhelming news.

Majority would have said the same if Brererton had been given a new deal 12 months ago.

It only takes one good season from a young english striker and you see their value in the market increase

To me its good news in the sense they are trying to get players tied down rather than getting into the situation we are now with 3 important players out of contract in the summer

• Like 4

If we’ve activated the extension there is no way that we should be selling BBD in January.

Thanks to selling Arma, and some financial jiggery pokery with the training ground sale, we should be ok in regards to FFP. We appear to have a very strong first XI now, with capable players in reserve to help cope with injury. We’re playing the best football I’ve seen since Venkys rolled up, with a genuine chance of promotion to the PL. Taking all this into consideration, TM should be telling Diaz and the money men that if we get another 6 months out of Diaz then we either get promoted and his value rockets, or we don’t and we sell him to one of the clubs interested now. We don’t need the money now to improve the squad or satisfy FFP demands, but we do need a player of BBD’s quality to achieve our aims in the league.

In an ideal world there is no way we should sell our best player and top scorer halfway through a season that promises so much. 

• Like 1

I honestly can't see anyone paying £25m for a striker after an exceptional half season. It's a massive risk to take a striker from the Championship to the PL as it is so I would imagine most chairmen will want to see how he fares over an entire season.

My worry is that Rovers decide to cash in early and accept substantially less thinking he'll go for even less in Summer. They are capable of anything.

If Rovers manage to be near the automatic promotion spots when the transfer window opens, and we sell, they deserve all the abuse they get. I can't see one fan taking that.

31 minutes ago, booth said:

My worry is that Rovers decide to cash in early and accept substantially less thinking he'll go for even less in Summer. They are capable of anything.

One of the few things that it is difficult to criticise the owners for is not holding out for a good price when selling players. I can't think of too many times where we have had our pants pulled down? Cairney maybe?

38 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

One of the few things that it is difficult to criticise the owners for is not holding out for a good price when selling players. I can't think of too many times where we have had our pants pulled down? Cairney maybe?

Capable of anything oldjam.

• Like 1

Chilean national sports news talking about the increassing chatter surrounding a possible move by Benjamín, most likely to a Premier League team, given the recent news stories in the British press.

Ben prepares his luggage [suitcases]

20211213_084728.thumb.jpg.330d06d1f4a027450197d715f9304460.jpg

Ben Brereton closer & closer to the Premier League

20211213_084742.thumb.jpg.6791d8cb1741fbe1d41d1bc509f012e9.jpg

4 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

Chilean national sports news talking about the increassing chatter surrounding a possible move by Benjamín, most likely to a Premier League team, given the recent news stories in the British press.

Ben prepares his luggage [suitcases]

20211213_084728.thumb.jpg.330d06d1f4a027450197d715f9304460.jpg

Ben Brereton closer & closer to the Premier League

20211213_084742.thumb.jpg.6791d8cb1741fbe1d41d1bc509f012e9.jpg

If he stays, we could be the Premier League team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, booth said:

If he stays, we could be the Premier League team.

i agree.  

however, they were saying Mowbray, by his tone and some recent statements, already seemed resigned to losing BBD in January.  i don't know how true that is but it is something i have also read in a few articles recently.

13 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

i agree.  

however, they were saying Mowbray, by his tone and some recent statements, already seemed resigned to losing BBD in January.  i don't know how true that is but it is something i have also read in a few articles recently.

Doesn't Mowbray just sound resigned in general?

• Like 1

I don't think there is anything to suggest he's off in January. He effectively has 18 months left. If he is to leave in Jan then a buying club will have to pay a premium. 

Say we were languishing mid table then I could see him leaving. But our current position adds millions to his current value. We shouldn't even be entertaining talk below £25 million. I don't think he's worth that much but he's worth that amount to us right now. 

Keep him and we don't get promoted and I'm sure there will be teams still willing to pay over £15 million in the summer.

• Like 4

It doesn’t make sense for Brereton to leave in January. Clubs rarely spend big in January, Venkys have been very good under Mowbray keeping our big players when we need them. He’s having a great season with a potential World Cup coming up.

Price shouldn’t drop to much between now and the summer, so just can’t see it.

Of course this is where Newcastle come in and get him, then get relegated.

Hopefully his form, the teams form, and our powers that be is enough to see the season out with us.

2 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

It doesn’t make sense for Brereton to leave in January. Clubs rarely spend big in January, Venkys have been very good under Mowbray keeping our big players when we need them. He’s having a great season with a potential World Cup coming up.

Price shouldn’t drop to much between now and the summer, so just can’t see it.

Of course this is where Newcastle come in and get him, then get relegated.

Hopefully his form, the teams form, and our powers that be is enough to see the season out with us.

I can’t see Newcastle gambling on Brererton getting them out of the mire. With the funds they’ve got they’ll be going for a more high profile striker.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can’t see Newcastle gambling on Brererton getting them out of the mire. With the funds they’ve got they’ll be going for a more high profile striker.

True, but I don’t see a decent striker joining them in their position. A high profile lower league seems the way to go, but hope not.

10 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Here's a half-serious / half-jokey question to discuss; having been born in the delectable (ahem) Stoke on Trent, in 2 or 3 years' time might BBD regret nailing his colours to the Chilean mast at the tender age of 22?

Off you go...!

I bet his bank manager is òk with it at the moment. 

• Like 1

it really was is good timing for Ben with Chile.  He would never have been sought out at all if Chile had any half-decent young strikers and was scoring goals.  It was Chile's desperation up front (and in the middle...and back) that opened the door for Brereton.  He would never have gotten a looking at pre 2018, not in the form he was in before morphing into the current Brereton Díaz 5mo ago.  The fact that he has the stage to himself as the only new talent on Chile's team (that's not totally true, but..) combined with his charisma/likability has made him a star, regardless of Chile making it to Qatar.  I don't see that happening if he played for England.  I don't think he would have gotten the chance the way he had been playing.  

I would not bet money on Chile making it, so BBD might indeed miss out next year.  Chile play Argentina at home, then Bolivia away at 12k feet.  Later Chile plays Brazil away and ends with Uruguay at home.   Chile sits in 6th place, out of contention, 1pt behind Colombia & Perú.  Only 4pts separates 4th place (direct qualification) from 9th place in CONMEBOL with 4 remaining games.  Chile missed WCs 2018, 2006, 2002, 1994, 1990, 1986, 1978, 1970....

Edited by LordBaltimore
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Here's a half-serious / half-jokey question to discuss; having been born in the delectable (ahem) Stoke on Trent, in 2 or 3 years' time might BBD regret nailing his colours to the Chilean mast at the tender age of 22?

Off you go...!

I very much doubt it.

He's a megastar in Chile, here he would be flavour of the month for a bit before having thw media tell us he shouldn't be anywhere the England squad (if he were to carry on scoring goals at the top level that is).

All valid points in the posts above.

Playing devil's advocate a little, Lord Baltimore admits that there's not much young talent coming through in Chile hence why they looked further afield for qualifying players, so in 2/3 years' time will they realistically be challenging for the latter stages of the Copa America or the WC in 2026?

Also Matty, who would have said 12 months ago that he would be flying like he is now? If he continues to develop, who knows what ghat could lead to? Look at Jamie Vardy for an example of how a player can come through from nowhere & hit the top, especially if they offer something different to their peers.

Anyway it was a daft question, albeit thought provoking. I would tend to agree that whatever happens from here he should have no regrets as it's been a unique journey for him.

Thanks for humouring me!