BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

38 minutes ago, Madon said:

Trigger the extension and sell him in the summer if we don't go up. We'd be bonkers to sell him in January with the table looking how it is at the minute! 

It's also no less than £20 million. He's an absolute animal!

Is Ben Brereton Diaz of 21/22 better than Adam Armstrong of 20/21?

• Backroom
1 minute ago, J*B said:

100% yes

Arma scored a lot but was taking shot after shot and not contributing otherwise (no arguments he was doing his job well), Brereton puts in so much more effort and works for the team 

• Like 9

• Backroom
1 hour ago, J*B said:

Yes (in my opinion of course!). He's an absolute animal on the pitch and off it the crowd absolutely adore him. Arma was good but I don't think the crowd took to him half as much as we have Diaz. 

• Like 1

100% no to selling him in Jan. He needs to stay and become a hero at this club.

The clubs he’s being linked with like Leeds & Southampton - he’s going to be joining them for relegation scraps. Not much glory there. Sevilla is a different story, but hopefully if they do come in it will be at the end of the season.

12 hours ago, J*B said:

Is it only me that wants us to cash in ASAP? Love him, love the story, love celebrating his success. But Rovers - at 7m - can’t risk him returning back to just Ben Brereton, can they? 

My god how to put a dampener on it!!!! Your a glass half empty man. Brighten up and enjoy the journey. If it goes tits up we’ll join in the wailing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreyski said:

Heard an interesting stat yesterday: He’s scored as many goals this season as since he first broke through at Forest, 6 years ago.

Can’t fathom it but love to see it!

I suppose he's still a very young man. 

If he stays til the end of the season I reckon if we don't go up , he will go for close to £30 million. 

They will do studies on Mowbrays transfer accumen 

😉

3 hours ago, Spartakfenni said:

My god how to put a dampener on it!!!! Your a glass half empty man. Brighten up and enjoy the journey. If it goes tits up we’ll join in the wailing.

Yea it’s a strange mentality to have one of the hottest prospects in football at the minute, only to want rid.

It’s probably justifiable from certain viewpoints, because he’d been written off here before he’d even started a game.

Edited by JBiz

7 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Yea it’s a strange mentality to have one of the hottest prospects in football at the minute, only to want rid.

It’s probably justifiable from certain viewpoints, because he’d been written off here before he’d even started a game.

He was certainly written off when he had started a game. 

15 hours ago, Madon said:

Trigger the extension and sell him in the summer if we don't go up. We'd be bonkers to sell him in January with the table looking how it is at the minute! 

It's also no less than £20 million. He's an absolute animal!

Sell him in January and it will knock the stuffing out of the team. We will instantly lose the momentum we've built up.

This is the best chance we have ever had of promotion since Venkys relegated us.

Surely we have to keep doing what we are doing?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, 47er said:

He was certainly written off when he had started a game. 

Still remember Jal, Mercer et al suggesting the lad is a “dud” before that game though. Multiply those voices through Twitter / FB, the murmurs of “waste of money” in the ground, even in the first 12 months.

I’d be a liar to say I am not surprised by what he’s achieved this season, but I the way he’s gained confidence so rapidly through “love” and being wanted by chile - it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch to suggest the 19 year old variety really struggled with being written off.

Do you think we should cash in?

20 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Still remember Jal, Mercer et al suggesting the lad is a “dud” before that game though. Multiply those voices through Twitter / FB, the murmurs of “waste of money” in the ground, even in the first 12 months.

I’d be a liar to say I am not surprised by what he’s achieved this season, but I the way he’s gained confidence so rapidly through “love” and being wanted by chile - it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch to suggest the 19 year old variety really struggled with being written off.

Do you think we should cash in?

I've already said "No" to January. Beyond that it all depends on Brereton, assuming ,of course that Rovers have made him an appropriate pay offer.

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

I've already said "No" to January. Beyond that it all depends on Brereton, assuming ,of course that Rovers have made him an appropriate pay offer.

Do you remember when the argument was “he cost 7 Million, you don’t sign for low wages with that fee…” 😂 

Alls I’m saying is 12 months ago he was an absolute disaster for Rovers. We had spent big and he wasn’t coming good, there’s no avoiding it. He was a £3M player at best.

If you read back, in my defence, you’ll see I thought he might come good, was worth persisting with, has the attributes. But now, they can’t afford for him to stop this form because he’s a £7m signing and they need a return on that.

Armstrong was different, he was cheap. We could have sold him for 4M and it would have been a success story.

I think I’d stick with him in January simply because everyone involved deserves this success, but come summer I honestly feel like the Diaz story needs to continue to be written elsewhere. Another £15M for Rovers, another chapter for Ben, everyone leaves happy. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J*B said:

Alls I’m saying is 12 months ago he was an absolute disaster for Rovers. We had spent big and he wasn’t coming good, there’s no avoiding it. He was a £3M player at best.

If you read back, in my defence, you’ll see I thought he might come good, was worth persisting with, has the attributes. But now, they can’t afford for him to stop this form because he’s a £7m signing and they need a return on that.

Armstrong was different, he was cheap. We could have sold him for 4M and it would have been a success story.

I think I’d stick with him in January simply because everyone involved deserves this success, but come summer I honestly feel like the Diaz story needs to continue to be written elsewhere. Another £15M for Rovers, another chapter for Ben, everyone leaves happy. 

£15 million is way too cheap and if there is anyway we can do it, we sign him to a new deal. 

The club and fans could not be happy if he left for £15 million 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

£15 million is way too cheap and if there is anyway we can do it, we sign him to a new deal. 

The club and fans could not be happy if he left for £15 million 

Come summer he’s 6 months away from joining a foreign club for free, which is a serious risk now that he’s playing for Chile.

Valencia, Sevilla, none of them sound implausible. 

I’d take 15M in summer. 

24 minutes ago, J*B said:

Come summer he’s 6 months away from joining a foreign club for free, which is a serious risk now that he’s playing for Chile.

Valencia, Sevilla, none of them sound implausible. 

I’d take 15M in summer. 

I get your point ,but it's we would probably still get £15 million for him that January. It's not set in stone he will go abroad. 

Need to tie him down to a new deal 

43 minutes ago, J*B said:

I think everyone has to admit that whoever made the initial decision to pay £7m for Brereton has been proved right. Very few people expected that and we now need to acknowledge it.

However, to make the deal a real success, we need his good form to benefit Rovers on the pitch, not on the balance sheet. Given the sale of Armstrong and the training ground, we surely have enough FFP buffer for his sale not to be a necessity. If we cashed in just to pay off some of the overdraft or to pay for some upcoming bills, I would see that as a backward step.

We have a player who is getting results for the club, raising the profile of the club and seems to be enjoying being at Rovers. I would hold on to him at all costs. It's a chance for the owners to show some ambition and interest - they could put the club's footballing interests before financial gain - they can afford it. I hope they make that choice.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I get your point ,but it's we would probably still get £15 million for him that January. It's not set in stone he will go abroad. 

Need to tie him down to a new deal 

No, we wouldn’t. If he signs a pre contract deal with Seville, let’s say, on January 1st 2023, he’s going for free in July regardless of whatever bids we receive. He decides where he moves and once he’s signed a pre contract he’s going. 

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, J*B said:

No, we wouldn’t. If he signs a pre contract deal with Seville, let’s say, on January 1st 2023, he’s going for free in July regardless of whatever bids we receive. He decides where he moves and once he’s signed a pre contract he’s going. 

He and his agent are also likely to get a bigger piece of the pie in terms of signing on fees due to there being no transfer fee, so there is an incentive for the player and the agent to run down the contract if they so desire. 

• Like 1