BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

7 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

This has to be one of the most remarkable turn arounds in my Rovers memory 

I remember Bale turning from the worst left back in the country to the best winger in the world and it certainly feels a similar story with Brereton, although a few steps lower obviously 

It really is a confidence thing. The way he celebrated the second was almost nonchelant, as if there was no other outcome. Amazing to think that a couple seasons ago you'd expect him to fall over his own legs.

• Like 1

"Ben prepares his leap"

20211126_072606.thumb.jpg.16b3e69f4aa27678d77e3804f4cb04d1.jpg

On Chilean news last nigh, they discussed the "imminent" departure of "Big Ben" from Blackburn to "a more competitive league" in January following his great success with Rovers & the Chilean national team this year.  

Real Sociedad and Sevilla from Spain have had their eye on him, as have Tottenham, Leeds United, and Everton among other Premiere League teams (I've read Newcastle is looking at BBD as well).

"Brereton prepares for his great leap in Europe"

20211126_072555.thumb.jpg.ad742980aa27d215f755380189e4e081.jpg

7 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I think I saw something recently - transfermarket.com or somewhere - which has him valued at 10m.

I imagine that the reality will be somewhere in the Armstrong bracket.

Whatever he goes for, it will leave a big hole in the goals-for column.

That is said every season that we lose a forward

35 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Hope the rumours don't impact his form and that we don't sell him!

Watched the 72 little mini doc on youtube yesterday. I see the message board got a mention and a viewing. Seems like a good grounded lad and what a story it is. Why was Dack in it though? 

He's a big mate of Ben's.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We have done well with forwards in general but it wont work like that every season otherwise every team would have a prolific goalscorer.

It's been happening, in my lifetime, on a regular basis, since we sold Tony Field. 

I also didn't say it happens every season. I said it happens every season we lose a striker.

Edited by rigger

On 25/11/2021 at 09:35, Dreams of 1995 said:

I remember Bale turning from the worst left back in the country to the best winger in the world and it certainly feels a similar story with Brereton, although a few steps lower obviously 

When was Bale the worst left back in the country?

51 minutes ago, rigger said:

It's been happening, in my lifetime, on a regular basis, since we sold Tony Field. 

I also didn't say it happens every season. I said it happens every season we lose a striker.

And before that too.

In the depths of my own Field grief in early '74, an older gentleman neighbour, who had not been to Ewood since the 1960 ticket scandal, told me I'd better to get used to it. He cited Fred Pickering....

We didn't know it then, but I guess Gordon Lee used some of the Field money -£80,000 from memory-to build his own championship winning team the following season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

And before that too.

In the depths of my own Field grief in early '74, an older gentleman neighbour, who had not been to Ewood since the 1960 ticket scandal, told me I'd better to get used to it. He cited Fred Pickering....

We didn't know it then, but I guess Gordon Lee used some of the Field money -£80,000 from memory-to build his own championship winning team the following season.

What I wouldn't give to follow a team lead by someone like Gordon Lee, again.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rigger said:

What I wouldn't give to follow a team lead by someone like Gordon Lee, again.

The football know-how/the in depth knowledge of the league we were in etc. To think he knew where to find what he wanted and put the team together very quickly.

I do remember him being very unpopular at first though-sales of favourite players, Lambert-style, miserable performances at the end of that 73-4 season...

16 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

The football know-how/the in depth knowledge of the league we were in etc. To think he knew where to find what he wanted and put the team together very quickly.

I do remember him being very unpopular at first though-sales of favourite players, Lambert-style, miserable performances at the end of that 73-4 season...

I seem to remember him saying in the Telegraph that he wanted to build a team of Northerners. I can't remember that coming to fruition, but he became god like to me and my young mates.

15 minutes ago, rigger said:

I seem to remember him saying in the Telegraph that he wanted to build a team of Northerners. I can't remember that coming to fruition, but he became god like to me and my young mates.

Ah, yes...his comments before a game v Charlton..., in his view, we were favourites due to our "Northern grit"...We all loved him too...Gutted, when I read that he had gone to Newcastle!

6 hours ago, rigger said:

What a player Tony was. For a little’un he lead the line. Even playing in the championship he would be worth £30m today. I still feel sad he left us for Sheffield Utd.

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I think what he’s saying he was the worst in the premiership, which he certainly was for his first season at Spurs.

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

There's a now-infamous old thread on our (Stoke's) board about us signing Bale from Spurs. It's full of absolute catastrophising about how garbage he is, not a footballer, shows how little ambition we have, going down if this is the level of player we're going for etc etc etc etc. Always worth a giggle to review now.

• Like 5

Last week there was a bit of an ado in Chilean politics involving a picture of Ben appearing to support the left-wing presidential candidate Gabriel Boric. [Pronounced BOR-ich], who advanced to the 2nd/final round of Chile's presidential election on 19 Dec. (taking on Kast, a right-wing candidate).

Scarf reads: "This December 19 Boric for president".  Caption "Ben with Boric"

FE5vRGSXoA0FH8n.thumb.jpg.8feef206ffbb05db2af718d8749cb045.jpg

This turned out to be a FAKE picture but the Díaz family in Chile (quite bothered by the whole thing) still felt the need to come out & publicly rebuke the doctored picture & were upset Ben's popularity & image would try to be exploited for political purposes.

It should be said this was not done by the Borić campaign but some unknown supporter on social media.

Edited by LordBaltimore

1 hour ago, LordBaltimore said:

Last week there was a bit of an ado in Chilean politics involving a picture of Ben appearing to support the left-wing presidential candidate Gabriel Boric. [Pronounced BOR-ich], who advanced to the 2nd/final round of Chile's presidential election on 19 Dec. (taking on Kast, a right-wing candidate).

Scarf reads: "This December 19 Boric for president".  Caption "Ben with Boric"

FE5vRGSXoA0FH8n.thumb.jpg.8feef206ffbb05db2af718d8749cb045.jpg

This turned out to be a FAKE picture but the Díaz family in Chile (quite bothered by the whole thing) still felt the need to come out & publicly rebuke the doctored picture & were upset Ben's popularity & image would try to be exploited for political purposes.

It should be said this was not done by the Borić campaign but some unknown supporter on social media.

Doesn't take a genius to realise that's fake. Some people will swallow anything these days. A lad who barely speaks any Spanish and has only been 'Chilean' for what, 6 months? As if he is going to get involved in endorsing political candidates over there.

The Diaz family in Chile, I'm curious, how closely related are they to him? I'm guessing it would be grandparents and uncles/aunties that didn't move when his mum did.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Doesn't take a genius to realise that's fake. Some people will swallow anything these days. A lad who barely speaks any Spanish and has only been 'Chilean' for what, 6 months? As if he is going to get involved in endorsing political candidates over there.

The Diaz family in Chile, I'm curious, how closely related are they to him? I'm guessing it would be grandparents and uncles/aunties that didn't move when his mum did.

It was a great uncle whom i saw on tv.  Ben's grandfather's brother.  It was his grandfather who went to the UK with Ben's mom in tow to study ceramic manufacturing.

Ben caused a stir a few months ago by declaring his family's support for Colo Colo, which is of course a divisive issue since it is one of the big teams in Chile.

• Like 1