BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

10 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Thought he was trying too hard last night. Had a few good runs but lost the ball on many occasions. Chile’s passing in the final third was appalling though and there were certainly moments when a good final pass would have given him a chance. Awful game otherwise. 

I wouldn't limit the awful passing to the final third. It was more the entire pitch and included both teams.

• Like 1

Those highlights make Brereton look exceptional but, I suppose, it's a selective account. Nonetheless, some good hold-up play and runs in there. The tackle is a really bad one, I feel. He threw his full body weight into the tackle and the Chilean defender's leg could've got caught between Brereton's legs on the slide. I think they're both lucky to not sustain a serious injury.

Interesting to note that they seem to have moved Brereton around, from central or right and then more to the left in second half.

Big blow to Chile’s WC qualification hopes last night, without BBD playing. Qualification in Europe is a breeze in comparison to the process in S. America, where teams have all to play a minimum of 18 games each.

Yeah, lastnight was a slow trainwreck.  Good goal by Ecuador min 7.  Arturo Vidal straight red for a high kick to an Ecuadorian face min 10, so playing with 10 men for 90 mins [5mins stoppage time ea half].  Starting L midfielder Mena injured around min 25.  Alexis Sánchez injured min 35 [so 3 starters gone before halftime].  Sierralta from Twatford, a defender, ended the game as center fwd bc he was injured & limping but no substitutes.  Luckily Equador couldnt shoot straight or it couldve been 0-4.

This is Chile's first ever loss to Equador at home for a WC qualifier [11wins, now 1 loss].  Chile drops from 4th to 6th in the standings.

Next games are Jan 27 2022 vs Argentina in Chile followed by Bolivia at La Paz's 4000m.  Bolivia beat Uruguay 3-0 there yest.  As mediocre as Bolivia are it is like playing Brazil when you play them at home due to altitude [Argentina lost 0-6 to them there].

Those games are not official FIFA dates so it'll be interesting to watch the tug of wars betwixt CONMEBOL and the players' respective clubs for those dates.  Mowbray certainly wont play ball if Brereton is still at Blackburn.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I see that the completely unfounded hearsay that he was ‘booed off’ at Birmingham (just him?!) and was ‘crying’  has made it in that video.

Never any need for rivals to do down Rovers fans, is there? 🙄

It's time this myth was put to bed. I was there and there was absolutely no booing. There was a cheer as the numbers went up and I still don't know if it was for him going off or the player coming on.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Giant said:

The one that features in the video posted by CD_93.

A lot of chileans are embarassed by that song (the "Ben Ben Ben, scores a goal goal goal" one).  They find it cheesy & lowbrow.  It always has a lot of negative comments.  In that great little mini-doc posted by CD_93 it is particularly singled out for criticism.  I like it though.  But i have bad taste.

Here is the original 2004 version of "Ven Ven" [come, come] by chilean singer Karen Paola.

4 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

A Brereton cumbia....

Chorus:

Ben Ben Ben kicks it, like Bam Bam Bam [iván zamorano],

The goal [the net] goes boom boom boom,

It's a Brereton goal!

Can't be too many on here who will recognise the 'cameo' of the black guy who mocks 'life hacks' by doing a much simpler version then gesturing at it with a hilarious expression. I can't remember his name though.

A Chilean guy gave a presentation at work the other week. He hasn't been home since before the pandemic. I chatted to him after and asked if he was into football. He said he wasn't into it, didn't know any players etc, but when I asked if he had heard of Ben Brereton, even his eyes lit up a bit and he certainly had heard about it. I suggested he get down to Ewood to make some friends back home jealous but he didn't seem like he was going to take me up on that!

On 17/11/2021 at 18:03, LordBaltimore said:

Those games are not official FIFA dates so it'll be interesting to watch the tug of wars betwixt CONMEBOL and the players' respective clubs for those dates.  Mowbray certainly wont play ball if Brereton is still at Blackburn.

wouldn't be so sure...

Mowbray outlines Ben Brereton's likely Blackburn Rovers absence | Lancashire Telegraph

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

Rather marvellously, his Chilean mum speaks with quite a thick, instantly recognisable Stoke accent. Love eet duck

I know you have Potter in your name, but I lived around Stoke myself for about 7 years and I wouldn't call that a thick Stoke accent. I'd say it's a bit of a mix, about 80% Stokie maybe but something else underlying it (which I'd assume is a dash of Chilean, but it doesn't really sound Chilean because of the mix...she almost sounded Geordie in a few brief moments!).

That said, despite the fact I can do a lot of accents and lived down there for 7 years, I was never able to do a Stokie accent properly myself. It's a bit of a hodge podge of a few other accents, I could never figure out the 'rules'. Sometimes it sounds scouse, sometimes brummy, sometimes northern...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I know you have Potter in your name, but I lived around Stoke myself for about 7 years and I wouldn't call that a thick Stoke accent. I'd say it's a bit of a mix, about 80% Stokie maybe but something else underlying it (which I'd assume is a dash of Chilean, but it doesn't really sound Chilean because of the mix...she almost sounded Geordie in a few brief moments!).

That said, despite the fact I can do a lot of accents and lived down there for 7 years, I was never able to do a Stokie accent properly myself. It's a bit of a hodge podge of a few other accents, I could never figure out the 'rules'. Sometimes it sounds scouse, sometimes brummy, sometimes northern...

Maybe “thick” was the wrong word but considering it’s her second language it’s still totally recognisable as Stoke (in words like “received” and “open arms” and “eet”. Actually more or less everything really).