BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

4 hours ago, elwaxo said:

I don't know if this is me reading into it, but isn't he interested in properly learning Spanish, with his mum and Chile, etc? Maybe, if he does slip down a division, it could still be in Spain.

The Spanish second tier is particularly poor, a lower standard than the Championship. I doubt he'd want to drop to that level just to learn Spanish easier. He could just hire a tutor if he's that desperate.

10 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The Spanish second tier is particularly poor, a lower standard than the Championship. I doubt he'd want to drop to that level just to learn Spanish easier. He could just hire a tutor if he's that desperate.

Or employ his mum 😉

On 10/09/2023 at 00:26, dallydally said:

He had one good half season. Very overrated and will struggle for game time in Spain.

Should have sold him in Jan 22 when he had scored 20 goals by Christmas and 18th months left on contract. Would have been peak value and we could have signed 4 or 5 to help with promotion. Costly error

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Should have sold him in Jan 22 when he had scored 20 goals by Christmas and 18th months left on contract. Would have been peak value and we could have signed 4 or 5 to help with promotion. Costly error

Surely history tells you that this scenario would never, ever happen here.

• Like 3

It's wild that people still think if we were to cash in on a player we'd make a promotion push. It's like our fans are a bunch of goldfish. Getting pretty annoying actually. How many decades more of this ownership do you need to realise they'll NEVER execute your ambition as a fan?

• Like 8

On 07/09/2023 at 21:32, bluebruce said:

Maybe not the same level as the championship, but not particularly poor, come on!

A tutor isn't the same as living and being immersed in the country. I hope he can kick on at Villarreal all the same.

On 07/09/2023 at 20:30, bazza said:

If each parent speaks a different language, I can never understand why each doesn't speak to their child in that language from birth.

My granddaughter in Barcelona speaks three languages fluently. She speaks English with no hint of a Spanish accent. Her school teaches her in Catalan whilst mum and dad communicate to each other in Spanish. Dad speaks to her in English and Mum speaks to her in Catalan.

There is a girl at her school whose father is English. She knows very little of the language because he has never spoken to her in it.

Totally agree! It's definitely an opportunity missed by the parents that don't speak to the kids in their own language.

46 minutes ago, elwaxo said:

Maybe not the same level as the championship, but not particularly poor, come on!

A tutor isn't the same as living and being immersed in the country. I hope he can kick on at Villarreal all the same.

Depends on what you're putting it relative to. Relative to the league he now plays in, yes it's pretty poor.

• Like 1

On 11/09/2023 at 10:06, BRFC4EVA said:

It would have been absolute madness to sell him at that point.

He was on fire, we were pushing for promotion and there was nothing to suggest that he’d have a pretty torrid second half of the season.

Hindsight is wonderful, but the fallout from selling him at that point would have been worse than us letting him eventually walk away for free. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

It keeps being mentioned Rovers should have sold him however a point that is constantly missed is that he didn’t want to move nor was a suitable bid for him ever received ! At 18 months to go in a contract footballers have the ace cards not the clubs

How do you know that he wouldnt have wanted to move to the likes of Nice, Everton or Fulham? We will never know because Venkys wouldnt entertain it unless a random, unsubstantiated price tag was met.

And a suitable bid? £8m is a substantial amount of money for a player whose contract has a year on it. So that is bollocks.

45 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How do you know that he wouldnt have wanted to move to the likes of Nice, Everton or Fulham? We will never know because Venkys wouldnt entertain it unless a random, unsubstantiated price tag was met.

And a suitable bid? £8m is a substantial amount of money for a player whose contract has a year on it. So that is bollocks.

If he wanted to move he would have asked to move especially if he was aware of a suitable bid being made. So that says to me no suitable bid materialised from a club that allegedly showed interest in him.

So it not as much bollocks as you make out. It’s reality as any financials are irrelevant be it a severance or loss of loyalty bonus versus potential increased wages and/or signing fee!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

If he wanted to move he would have asked to move especially if he was aware of a suitable bid being made. So that says to me no suitable bid materialised from a club that allegedly showed interest in him.

So it not as much bollocks as you make out. It’s reality as any financials are irrelevant be it a severance or loss of loyalty bonus versus potential increased wages and/or signing fee!

You cant possibly say that he didnt want to go or indeed if he was annoyed that the bids werent considered. Had we accepted and he didnt go, different argument. We should have accepted.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, alex l said:

The suggestions are we received bids of £8m last summer but wanted around £15m. If we had sold him for £8m the fanbase would have been in uproar, particularly given how much Arma went for. 

With the added problem of 99p and a packet of chewing gum being given to the transfer budget from the sale.

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You cant possibly say that he didnt want to go or indeed if he was annoyed that the bids werent considered. Had we accepted and he didnt go, different argument. We should have accepted.

It is well documented throughout football where footballers have been subjected to offers from clubs but that those offers were subsequently rejected by club officials resulting in players demanding moves, going on strike or generally sulking like babies. We have our own examples in the Savage affair with Brum many moons ago.

So, if BB was so KEEN to get a move AND bids were received that HE believed were reasonable then it is REASONABLE to suggest that he MAY have taken such a line. Truth is he didn't take that line, he might have sulked a bit, but if he wanted to have moved then he could easily have forced it despite the view of the owners, players hold that power.

What I have written is a suggestion NOT fact, and is opinion based.

• Like 1

Not only is the theory of declining bids based on fans reactions totally bizarre, its also not true. This supposed uproar should Brereton have been sold is baseless, there was an expectation of a sale with him going into the last year.

Obviously there then is a question over funds available to reinvest. Im assuming there are because what I am pushing for is what Broughton has pushed for and Mowbray before him. The "model" ie the freedom to sell, bring in funds, reinvest a decent chunk and keep the rest to be more sustainable. Broughton mentioned it again recently, for all of his theory which comes from a good place, it wont happen with these owners so it is just hot air.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

It is well documented throughout football where footballers have been subjected to offers from clubs but that those offers were subsequently rejected by club officials resulting in players demanding moves, going on strike or generally sulking like babies. We have our own examples in the Savage affair with Brum many moons ago.

So, if BB was so KEEN to get a move AND bids were received that HE believed were reasonable then it is REASONABLE to suggest that he MAY have taken such a line. Truth is he didn't take that line, he might have sulked a bit, but if he wanted to have moved then he could easily have forced it despite the view of the owners, players hold that power.

What I have written is a suggestion NOT fact, and is opinion based.

My point is, we didnt sell because of a stupidly rigid, unrealistic price tag based on the price of a player who had scored more goals who went the summer before, as if all players are worth the same. 

Had we accepted or even been open minded to bids with the alternative being nothing, and he had declined, different argument and you can have some sympathy. As it was, Broughton has (understandably considering upsetting them will jeopardise his job security) "understood" the stance the owners had. It was nonsensical.