BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I spoke to someone who has actually seen the lad play and is talking from experience.

Unlike a messageboard warrior.

It's that simple. 

You just have to look at the varying opinions on this board to see that we can't agree on any player.

I'll trust Guardiola over your mate - we'll see who's right. 

• Like 1

Just now, RovingRover said:

Can't help but go into his season a little bit baffled.

One core thing we learned last season was that our defence was as leaky as the Conservatives budget. 64 goals scored, and 69 against.
The first thing Mowbray did in response was allow Paul Downing to leave for a minimal fee to Portsmouth and Rodwell departed not terribly long after.
It took one full month from the departure of Rodwell, and two full months from the departure of Downing for Mowbray to bring in any defensive reinforcements. That defensive reinforcement is a loan with a season's worth experience at this level. So a loan replacing two players on a long-term contract. In fact if you recognise Wharton as a 1st team option you could argue his departure on loan has left us further weaker.

It's worth reminding ourselves that Tosin has been our only defensive reinforcement this summer (if you exclude Mowbray's line of thinking that Downing can play along the back-line)

When you take into account defensive injuries last season that saw us playing Magloire and the departures we have already seen. The only conclusion is that our back-line is vastly weaker than last season, following a time when the manager said that was his main concern.

I can dismiss playing forwards as wingers (to a degree). But I am never going to be sold on playing wingers/midfielders at right-back/left-back. That special privilege can only be held by Brett Emerton and maybe at a push Ben Marshall.

The end of the last January window left us scratching our heads in terms of defensive reinforcements. Another full summer without defensive reinforcements at least being done early enough to participate in pre-season training with the team should give everybody pause.

We have lost Rodwell, and replaced with a genuine centre back - not certain how that makes the back line vastly weaker than last season ?

Don't get me wrong - we need vast improvement in this area - but with the addition of Johnston and Downing to help solidify the midfield defensively we may be actually better than last season.

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

You just have to look at the varying opinions on this board to see that we can't agree on any player.

I'll trust Guardiola over your mate - we'll see who's right. 

Baggies fans know their football - thousands of them. They didn't rate him. 

• Like 1

Just now, RovingRover said:

I can dismiss playing forwards as wingers (to a degree). But I am never going to be sold on playing wingers/midfielders at right-back/left-back. That special privilege can only be held by Brett Emerton and maybe at a push Ben Marshall.

Emerton came to us as a wing back (and he'd be by far our best player today, sadly).

11 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I spoke to someone who has actually seen the lad play and is talking from experience.

Unlike a messageboard warrior.

It's that simple. 

Your friend should apply for the City job when Pep blags another ?

• Like 2

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

So who would you have preferred to sign Johnston or Bayliss ? Green or Gallagher/Chapman ?

Johnson is debatable. Chapman injury prone and Gallagher's a striker!! I'd have Green most probably. Last but not least I'd have Neil over boring Tony...in a heartbeat.

So who would you have preferred to sign Johnston or Bayliss ? Green or Gallagher/Chapman ?

If we had have been waiting all summer and then signed Bayliss and Green the day before tomorrows game, there would been massive disappointment and fans saying they are underwhelmed. God almighty they signed Bayliss off Coventry for heavens sake ? Did green even start a game for Villa last year? He started very few anyway.

Severe cases off grassisgreeneritis with some fans 

• Like 2

We have lost Rodwell, and replaced with a genuine centre back - not certain how that makes the back line vastly weaker than last season ?

Don't get me wrong - we need vast improvement in this area - but with the addition of Johnston and Downing to help solidify the midfield defensively we may be actually better than last season.

The fact of the matter is we are a CB down.

Rodwell/Downing out.

Tosin in.

We have too many numbers in midfield and not enough at the back for my liking.

• Like 1

Did Downing not leave at Christmas ?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, apparently not. It seems he was a crucial defender all last season. I just missed that completely. 

We could have recalled him. Could have certainly renewed his contract come the end of the season as well.

Comes across as quite a well balanced WBA fan view

https://roverschat.com/the-verdict-west-bromwich-albion-supporter-tells-us-all-about-rovers-new-signing-tosin-adarabioyo/

"Most of his football at the Albion was at right-back. Whilst putting in some solid performances, it was never a position which he looked comfortable in – especially when required to provide width going forwards. His best performances will no doubt come at center half alongside a steady, solid, no-nonsense defender alongside him. I do see traits of him being a good defensive midfielder however as opposed to a center-half"

So whilst he has played in the Championship he is to quite an extent untested as a CB at this level.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

• Backroom

I'm quite surprised Brad Lyons hasn't received a number, even though we are overloaded in CM. 

Played well in the SPL last year, I assume he will be going back out on loan now..

• Like 3

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Comes across as quite a well balanced WBA fan view

https://roverschat.com/the-verdict-west-bromwich-albion-supporter-tells-us-all-about-rovers-new-signing-tosin-adarabioyo/

"Most of his football at the Albion was at right-back. Whilst putting in some solid performances, it was never a position which he looked comfortable in – especially when required to provide width going forwards. His best performances will no doubt come at center half alongside a steady, solid, no-nonsense defender alongside him. I do see traits of him being a good defensive midfielder however as opposed to a center-half"

God help us if he partners Mulgrew at the back! ?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Message board warrior? 

So why did West brom continue to play him out of position if he was that glaringly bad? Why is he being kept around at one of the best clubs in Europe? 

Ah , look your friend is probably right actually. What does that Guardiola fella know.  

Not sure how much of the Championship you watch based on your ignorance of Webster at Bristol City? But I think the main reason that Adarabioyo had monopolised that right back slot in the first half of the season was a lack of alternatives in the West Brom squad with an imbalanced post relegation squad. The only alternative really was an ageing and crap Tyrone Mings until January when West Brom signed Mason Holgate (again a CB but very comfortable at right back) who played in that role for the rest of the season at Adarabioyos expense.

You keep saying about Pep but as Jim touched on, hes been loaned out for the second season, has played a few Champions League dead rubbers (think he featured in weak teams) and ultimately there is no definitive sign that he isnt one of the many big club loanees who seldom play for their parent club. By your argument, you could say that Mourinho and Conte must really have rated Todd Kane to keep him around and just keep loaning him.

My main hope is that a large proportion of his troubles were due to being out of position and would like to see him ASAP. I also think its critical that we sign further defensive reinforcements.

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Not sure how much of the Championship you watch based on your ignorance of Webster at Bristol City? But I think the main reason that Adarabioyo had monopolised that right back slot in the first half of the season was a lack of alternatives in the West Brom squad with an imbalanced post relegation squad. The only alternative really was an ageing and crap Tyrone Mings until January when West Brom signed Mason Holgate (again a CB but very comfortable at right back) who played in that role for the rest of the season at Adarabioyos expense.

You keep saying about Pep but as Jim touched on, hes been loaned out for the second season, has played a few Champions League dead rubbers (think he featured in weak teams) and ultimately there is no definitive sign that he isnt one of the many big club loanees who seldom play for their parent club. By your argument, you could say that Mourinho and Conte must really have rated Todd Kane to keep him around and just keep loaning him.

My main hope is that a large proportion of his troubles were due to being out of position and would like to see him ASAP. I also think its critical that we sign further defensive reinforcements.

Absolute LOL. Ya that aging and crap Tyrone Mings playing for West Brom. Amazing how he managed to do that without anyone knowing he played for them and then moved to villa for £25 million. Impressive. 

Can you show me quotes from either of those managers about Kane as glowing as peps about Tosin? 

No I didn't watch much of Bristol City apart from highlights. They are on TV around twice a year. How did you get to see so much of them? I hope you were watching them closer than you watched West Brom  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Wasn't it touched on that the City kid was guaranteed a certain number of games at West Brom hence him being shoe horned to right back ?

Either way what he does bring is much needed height that'll be his main attribute despite being raw and something we need but other than that the jury is well out but i love how he's being turned into the reincarnation of Samba.....because his club manager happens to be Pep.. ?

I'd not be surprised in the slightest if he begins his Rovers tenure at right back either coming on as sub or when Mowbray finds another slot for Bennett.  All they've really done to try and bolster the defence is go for the highest profile cheap option, pretty risky i think this debate will get really tasty in the next few weeks.

• Like 1