Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or go?

Mowbray: Stay or Go?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Stay
    • Go

30 minutes ago, DE. said:

Like most of our team, he was doing really well up until November. Then it all seemed to go to shit - for everybody, Dack included. By the 10th November he'd scored 8 goals. Since then just 4. 

Something hasn't been right for a while with him, but nonetheless I can't advocate selling him. Not when we have so little goal threat or creativity across the rest of the team. We can surely only consider selling him if we have more productive players in the team first. 

No I wouldn't sell him either and to be honest I can't see anyone bidding more than 8-10 million now 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Goals cant flatter a player, They are black and white and you cant discredit their importance, indeed the numbers of him and Graham become more impressive compared to the pathetic numbers of everyone else.

But many did with Rhodes and some do with Graham but totally agree strikers are paid to score and creative players to create those chances, they can often be forgiven for other limitations because you tailor your team to cover that if you can.

46 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We need 4 points from the last 6 to match the side Coyle had in terms of points accumulated.

Correction. This was the points total of the caretaker manager Tony Mowbray whose side got to 51 points and accumulated them at a rate associated to a team in mid table to get there. Coyle was on for a much lower points total.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Correction. This was the points total of the caretaker manager Tony Mowbray whose side got to 51 points and accumulated them at a rate associated to a team in mid table to get there. Coyle was on for a much lower points total.

So if anything Mowbray is accumulated points at a slower rate after spending well over 10m over 4 windows.

9 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Think you're missing the point completely. Mowbray is struggling to match the points otal of a side managed for two thirds of the season by Coyle. 

So what does that say about him?

Edited by RevidgeBlue

It keeps being mentioned TMs points total over a full season in that relegation half of one would've seen us safely in midtable which is fair enough. But it's now only right to point out that his points accumulation from the second half of this season over the course of next season will see us rooted in the bottom 3 comfortably.

I'm not sure whether he/we have been found out or the early season form was just new league promotion new contracts 'bounce' and without that, well ..?

• Like 2

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Think you're missing the point completely. Mowbray is struggling to match the points otal of a side managed for two thirds of the season by Coyle. 

So what does that say about him?

So what does 

There’s 6 matches to go lads!! ??

Just now, tomphil said:

It keeps being mentioned TMs points total over a full season in that relegation half of one would've seen us safely in midtable which is fair enough. But it's now only right to point out that his points accumulation from the second half of this season over the course of next season will see us rooted in the bottom 3 comfortably.

I'm not sure whether he/we have been found out or the early season form was just new league promotion new contracts 'bounce' and without that, well ..?

Hard to say. I think it’s a bit of everything. What This late season slide does do is ensures that changes have to be made. 

Edited by Paul Mani
Typo

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Where are they coming from ?

I think we’ll get a point on Tues. derby are blowing hot and cold. Then I think we’ll beat Bolton and then Swansea at home who won’t have anything to play for. 

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

With all due respect, surely Mowbray falls into that category anyway. We're not talking about the possibility of replacing Kenny Dalglish are we?

Thats just it, I think in the long run after the initial excitement of a new manager has gone we'd likely just find we've just swapped like for like, I think of the current list of available managers theres only really Hughes that id be excited about, but that's mainly just because im a sentimental idiot :)  If not Hughes then i think its about time we started looking at continental managers   (slavisa jokanovic proven winner in the championship or Daniel Stendel promising manager plays very pressing football??)  

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
update

22 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

At least you're aware we're getting worse under Mowbray. 

So Mowbray stays because he needs (another) summer to rebuild (because last summer he couldn't be bothered).

Meanwhile our poor form continues resulting in Venkys deciding not to give Tony any money in summer.

Why would you throw a few million at an underperforming manager ? Here... go and waste this.

You showed us all those videos Tony. You said we should give these players new contracts Tony. You said we should trust you Tony.

Now run along and prove it.... Your season long free pass has run out now.

So we start next season with the same shite and expect a different outcome ?

Crap when he took over from C o y l e. Crap for large parts of last season. Crap most of this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Imo Mowbray has completely neutralised Dack by bypassing him with our long ball style of play to the extent where he has had to resort to coming back to take the ball off the toes of the centre half to get on it. As a result I think he has lost some of his spark and mojo.

However, whether or not Dack's dip in form is down to the manager or down to the player being a bit of a tit is largely irrelevant. That isn't the major issue. The bigger issue is that we are almost solely reliant on Dack and if he isn't on song we are completely bolluxed.

In that respect we haven't moved forward as a Club one iota since we were in League 1. We have a poorish team. Then we have Dack.

That is the problem. Not Dack.

Spot on.

Tony has said he will stick with the "experienced" players because we need the points to avoid (the possibility of) relegation.

That means continuing with Evans, Smallwood, Bennett and Conway instead of blooding youngsters. These have gained him 4 points out of 33 so far.

My prediction, therefore, is 0 points, dropping into the bottom 3 after defeat to Swansea on the last day.

I am a Mowbray fan and I don’t want to see him leave quite yet, but this season has been painful, and even the staunchest of supporters must have a hard time defending him right now. The biggest problem is the doing one thing and saying another, and not seeing what is so bleeding obvious to everyone that watches. The contract bonanza earlier in the season was an absolute disgrace also and we will pay for it next season.

He told us we are going to start playing 4-3-3, well bloody do it now then, cause we are all sick of the 4-2-3-1 with the two pathetic DMs we have. 

We started the Sheff Wed game with 3-5-2 wingbacks, and we actually played some decent football with Rothwell and Dack interchanging behind Graham. How’s about trying the wingbacks with Lenihan Mulgrew and Rodwell now they were all fit, like yesterday? 

But nope back to the pathetic 4-2-3-1 with Evans and Smallwood, the hopeless Bennett and the invisible Armstrong.

I need to see some changes Tony cause it’s not working, do something with youngsters, personnel or formation. You have options, and we need to see a plan B. Use the Category A academy for gods sake.

• Like 2

There's obviously some weak links in the team but talk of shuffling players about and trying different formations is missing the point, which is that Mowbray fundamentally doesn't not know what to do to stop the slide. He is a poor manager who has a set way of playing with players he "trusts", and eventually he, and his his team, get found out. It's happened throughout his career at other clubs where he has inevitably been given the sack because of poor results, and we seem to have reached that point with him now. The Rovers hierarchy might come to the same conclusion around Christmas, when of course it will be far too late. 

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

So Mowbray stays because he needs (another) summer to rebuild (because last summer he couldn't be bothered).

Meanwhile our poor form continues resulting in Venkys deciding not to give Tony any money in summer.

Why would you throw a few million at an underperforming manager ? Here... go and waste this.

You showed us all those videos Tony. You said we should give these players new contracts Tony. You said we should trust you Tony.

Now run along and prove it.... Your season long free pass has run out now.

So we start next season with the same shite and expect a different outcome ?

Crap when he took over from C o y l e. Crap for large parts of last season. Crap most of this season.

No, no. This season was all about loyalty, rewarding the players who got us promoted with game time and improved contracts.

Tony can get us promoted any time he likes but he wants to do it the right way. Maybe on a Tuesday. Wearing a small hat.

A slow build, maybe over three or eight years so as to make sure we don’t go up to the PL too soon and end up getting relegated after one season.