BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I was very angry after Wednesday, but I wonder if it was freak result.  How may times have we been hammered under Mowbray's tenure?

It was definitely a freak result. Part of the reason it was so shocking is because we so rarely lose by huge margins under this manager. The most aggrevating thing from my perspective was his inability to react to what was happening. Mowbray has been in the game long enough to know that when things are going that badly you move into damage limitation and see the game out at a respectable score. I can't understand why he let us get humiliated like that without even trying to shore up.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Could/should have gone for Wilder. Farke is available, as is now Smith.

Farke is up and down like a whore’s draws. Do you believe that IF he can get us promoted he’ll keep us up. If I’d been a Norwich supporter I’d not have bought season tickets for the premiership years. Watching certain relegation is soul destroying. We should have gone for the likes of Cooper, Potter, Critchley. They seem to have something about them. 

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

Farke is up and down like a whore’s draws. Do you believe that IF he can get us promoted he’ll keep us up. If I’d been a Norwich supporter I’d not have bought season tickets for the premiership years. Watching certain relegation is soul destroying. We should have gone for the likes of Cooper, Potter, Critchley. They seem to have something about them. 

Yoyoing between PL and Champ is better than yoyoing between 15th and 11th tbf.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Yoyoing between PL and Champ is better than yoyoing between 15th and 11th tbf.

One glory season followed by the depths of depression, no I have higher aspirations. To me I want to see steady progress like the Brentford model. In the end missing promotion for a couple of seasons and losing the parachute payment destroys a club. 

8 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Absolutely, yesterday's game was a joy to witness.

But let's not pretend that Mowbray is some kind of managerial guru who we couldn't hope to better.

Agree. Let's not forget last season where we wasted the whole season playing so-called possession football. We dominated possession but lost games!

This season that's been abandoned apparently because we haven't got the personal for it!!

Absolutely laughable! We beat Sheff Utd handsomely, we absolutely destroyed them.

But, guess what? They had over 60% of possession!

So what he spent the whole year trying to put into practice doesn't work anyway, at least not at Championship level.

I don't feel I've been on a journey with Mowbray, but I do feel I've been taken for a ride!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Spartakfenni said:

Much better to get there first and then worry about staying there.

Farke is a proven success at promotion.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Could/should have gone for Wilder. Farke is available, as is now Smith.

Yet many Sheffield Utd fans blame Wilder for the mess that they are in.

eg from the BBC site:

This is Wilders terrible waste of money on pub league players thats left us in this mess 

If Venkys and the board had any real ambition of promotion and therefore the big PL money, they would dispense with Mowbray immediately and do everything possible to get Dean Smith in. 

Proven promotion winner. Laughable hes been sacked tbh

We all know they wont even pay attention

Edited by benhben
  • Like 5

One glory season followed by the depths of depression, no I have higher aspirations. To me I want to see steady progress like the Brentford model. In the end missing promotion for a couple of seasons and losing the parachute payment destroys a club. 

Nonsense 

One season in the Prem could put this club back on an even keel again. However bad the results might be it would be worth swallowing it for a season. Then hopefully rebuild a bit stronger after relegation without a crippling wage bill.

We are nothing like the Brentford sadly this club needs a promotion. Not years of pulling to bits to put back together again pretending to follow some 'model'. The people we have trying to do that just aren't competent enough they are more comfortable downgrading not building up.

As for bad results it might have escaped your attention but we won 2 in 17 last season. And have just been whalloped 0-7 at home in the heaviest home defeat in history.

Somehow it might be a bit more palatable if it was Arsenal or City doing it at top level.

• Like 2

Is that the same Brentford who are now slipping down the PL table & will likely end up falling out of it with errr....Norwich? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 47er said:

Agree. Let's not forget last season where we wasted the whole season playing so-called possession football. We dominated possession but lost games!

This season that's been abandoned apparently because we haven't got the personal for it!!

Absolutely laughable! We beat Sheff Utd handsomely, we absolutely destroyed them.

But, guess what? They had over 60% of possession!

So what he spent the whole year trying to put into practice doesn't work anyway, at least not at Championship level.

I don't feel I've been on a journey with Mowbray, but I do feel I've been taken for a ride!

I could be wrong but I think we’ve won quite a few games this season when we’ve been behind in the possession stats.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wilder has been appointed manager by Boro. Not Head coach..

Dean Smith was Head coach at Villa and Brentford with Sporting Director in place. Dean Smih would be excellent choice to replace Mowbray with when that's happens. But I think he will take a few weeks holiday to recoup and rejuvenate himself 

They will want a proper break from football I would guess. 

There is a difference between head coach and manager. 

A job at Rovers would be perfect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have offered them new improve contracts. Waggott has said they have offered 3 years contracts. 

on Brereton, he is very likely to be moving on this summer, and we have 12 club option on his deal just like Kaminski as well

You could sign 2 players who are out of contract this summer like John Souttar from Hearts and Jon-Joe Kenny from Everton to replace both

i know they've all been offered new contracts!! 

as for "improved" contacts that's pretty vague and likely means still pretty crap compared to what they could get elsewhere. 

not interested in theorising whobwe could sign, because until Mowbrays gone it makes no difference. 

• Like 1

"the Brentford model" ffs as if these things really happen completely by design. 

• Like 1

Just give him until the end of the season.

Too many posters are basing their opinions on what has happened in the past and disregarding the fact that we are having a really good season so far with a lot of players finally fulfilling their potential and TM himself much improved with his selections and tactical decisions.

In TM’s 5 season with us so far he has neither overachieved or underachieved.

1st season - the form under him was excellent and we were very unfortunate to go down in the end.

2nd season - promoted on first time of asking

3rd season - comfortably avoided relegation zone and started the rebuild of the squad in the Championship

4th season - top half finish

5th season - this was the only major disappointment for me. We had a squad that was capable of promotion but we let it slip. Although I think a ridiculous number of injuries were the main contributor to our loss of form, TM didn’t make things better with a lot of baffling decisions

6th season - currently challenging for a playoff spot with a squad that’s got the 3rd most goals in the league playing some really great football at times

He’s basically made steady progress with us every season other than last season. You shouldn’t sack someone when they’re hitting their targets. If he still fails to achieve anything this season, bring someone new in and start fresh.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Miker said:

Too many posters are basing their opinions on what has happened in the past and disregarding the fact that we are having a really good season so far with a lot of players finally fulfilling their potential and TM himself much improved with his selections and tactical decisions.

1st season - the form under him was excellent and we were very unfortunate to go down in the end.

3rd season - comfortably avoided relegation zone and started the rebuild of the squad in the Championship

5th season - this was the only major disappointment for me. We had a squad that was capable of promotion but we let it slip. Although I think a ridiculous number of injuries were the main contributor to our loss of form, TM didn’t make things better with a lot of baffling decisions

6th season - currently challenging for a playoff spot with a squad that’s got the 3rd most goals in the league playing some really great football at times

He’s basically made steady progress with us every season other than last season. You shouldn’t sack someone when they’re hitting their targets. If he still fails to achieve anything this season, bring someone new in and start fresh.

No. Enough is well and truly enough and more fool you if you really think this season is going to be any bettter than last come next May with him at the helm. 

Plus after yet another arrogant little tirade at the fans the other day I can't stand the cretin now at a personal level. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

"

2nd season - promoted on first time of asking **with a squad full of championship level players and a higher transfer kitty than others in that league. 

3rd season - comfortably avoided relegation zone and started the rebuild of the squad in the Championship **Meh

4th season - top half finish **and🤷‍♂️

5th season - this was the only major disappointment for me. We had a squad that was capable of promotion but we let it slip. Although I think a ridiculous number of injuries were the main contributor to our loss of form, TM didn’t make things better with a lot of baffling decisions" **It was a complete shit show and he should have been fired well before the season ended. We had 3/4 of the very best attacking players and goalscorers in the league, all he had to do was keep our defensive side and game management reasonably organised and we would have walked into the play offs with ease. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Much better to get there first and then worry about staying there.

Farke is a proven success at promotion.

Farke had a decent sporting director who had a hand in the signings and some exceptional young talent already at the club, you would have to imagine that Norwich have a superior scouting network to us with our owners being the jokers that they are.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Miker said:

Morbary has himself admitted that he was initially recruited to avoid relegation. He failed. He had what, 15 games (?), and failed. I have heard all the excuses.

Somehow, once Paul Senior has 'exited', he blagged his way onto a plane and the rest is history.

Steady progress - we have a club infrastructure in disrepair and a squad dependent on 'loans' to compete. There's more, but frankly I cannot be arsed.

He is hitting his targets though. There are NONE.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Farke had a decent sporting director who had a hand in the signings and some exceptional young talent already at the club, you would have to imagine that Norwich have a superior scouting network to us with our owners being the jokers that they are.

So have we.

• Like 2

• Backroom

Some really interesting options out there if Venkys want to show a bit of ambition. I'm trying to channel the logic that brought Hodgson and Souness to Rovers. Or maybe I need to lay off the drink?

Andre Villas-Boas - Not exactly in favour when it comes to managing in England after lukewarm spells at Chelsea and Spurs, but has done well at clubs away from the spotlight. Trophies at Porto, won everything there is to win in Russia with Zenit St Petersburg, turned SIPG from also-rans to title contenders in China, and returned a floundering Marseille to the CL spots. Turns his teams into well-oiled machines. Who's to say a spell with Rovers without the pressure of the PL in one of English football's most secure jobs won't appeal?

Rudi GarciaNamed French Manager of the Year on three occasions, Rudi Garcia has edged toward journeyman territory since winning Ligue 1 with Lille a decade ago. He has enjoyed many good moments in his stints with Roma, Marseille and Lyon. Renowned for demanding an incredible work ethic from his squad.

Paolo Fonseca - Led Shakhtar as the dominant force in Ukraine, playing scintillating fast-break football. Also had good spells at Porto, Braga, and Roma; recently departed Roma despite having won around half his matches in charge of the club. Amazed he's not been snapped up.

Eddie Howe - His achievements at Bournemouth were often qualified, and there’s a sense he might have missed his chance at a top job following the Cherries’ demise at the end of his tenure. Don't let the ex-Dingle stuff put you off, I think he's got life left in him yet, possibly even as a Southgate replacement imo.

Quique Setien - Sporting the frankly awesome nickname of ‘El Maestro’ (nope, doesn't ring a bell at all) as a player, Quique Setien has had an eventful managerial career. He managed Equatorial Guinea and worked in the lower Spanish divisions. Made his name with Las Palmas and a highly fruitful Real Betis displaying the Cruyffian principles of Total Football that would attract Barca. A short and underwhelming stint at Barcelona followed, bit that wouldn't stop us, would it?

Lucien Favre - It ended in ugly fashion in Dortmund, but the lure of Lucien Favre remains. His teams play exhilarating football. On top of the fun, there’s plenty of substance too, with his teams often exceeding expectations. With experience in Switzerland, Germany and France, perhaps it’s time for an English club to take a chance on Favre?

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2