BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

16 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I’ve been one of Mowbray’s fiercest critics, but I have to give him some credit for the position we are in, even after recent results.

What I would say is that I think Mowbray himself would’ve been amazed at how well we had been doing, until recently.

In his interviews towards the end of last season, he sounded like he had more or less given up and was waiting to be paid off.

In terms of the team, I think great credit goes to the coaches in the youth set up, and Mowbray has been the main beneficiary, (rather than the provider).

I still think he should’ve been long gone prior to this season, but he deserves until the end of the season to see if a miracle can be achieved.

Unfortunately, it looks as if reality is beginning to set in, and the annual February collapse is in full swing.

It’s not the only deficiency, but it was glaringly obvious we needed to sign a striker to put fresh wind in our sails.

Should we fail to get promotion, can I see Mowbray ever getting us in this position again? No.

This is still our best chance of promotion ..

Do I think it will happen  ?

No not under Mowbray

His tactics playing playwrs out of position is wrong and the Nyambe situation if true stinks as well

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Athlete said:

This is still our best chance of promotion ..

Do I think it will happen  ?

No not under Mowbray

His tactics playing playwrs out of position is wrong and the Nyambe situation if true stinks as well

Agreed. During our purple patch, the team more or less picked itself, and Mowbray managed to resist his urge to tinker.

He’s now reverted to type , is over thinking it, (“We don’t need another striker for the way we play”) and making odd team selections.

If fit, Nyambe should be playing, no question.

• Like 3

Tony Mowbray fits the bill for these owners, he'll be making a significant return on investment with players bought and sold, he's willing to work on a shoestring budget and he's created a young exciting team that are punching well above their weight in this division.  

New contract coming and he deserves it. 

Edited by Gav

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

Tony Mowbray fits the bill for these owners, he'll be making a significant return on investment with players bought and sold, he's willing to work on a shoestring budget and he's created a young exciting team that are punching well above their weight in this division.  

New contract coming and he deserves it. 

I might have to call it a day then Gav. That wouldn’t be like the Coyle appointment, when I did temporarily call it a day, but it’s pretty bad. We’ve seen what he can do and it’s not good enough for Blackburn Rovers even if it’s good enough for the Chicken Chokers.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, Buckley has been playing there all season and Rothwell likewise? 

That doesn't make them the right positions. For me both are attacking midfielders. Rothwell is playing too deep. Buckley is not a number nine, false or otherwise.

Two decisions that I object to in the last 2 games alone.

Swansea away - leaving Brereton on the bench. Somehow what should have been 1 game missed due to international duty spills over into 2.5 games missed and him being thrown on when chasing a game away from home.

For me if fit he should be starting and then if knackered then take him off in the second half hopefully by which stage he has got us ahead and in control of the game.

Trying to be too clever IMO, rather than just focusing on the job in hand of beating a poor Swansea side and to do so needing your best players on the pitch from the get go.

Then leaving Nyambe out v Forest. Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference to the result, maybe it would. But the fact is that he has been a central part of the side that has done so well and had such momentum and defensive strength over the last 2-3 months. So to drop him for no good reason risks unsettling the side.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

That doesn't make them the right positions. For me both are attacking midfielders. Rothwell is playing too deep. Buckley is not a number nine, false or otherwise.

It was all working well up to a few games ago. Rothwell was making those decisions to drop back and get the ball. He was paying CM, that's his favoured position. 

Is Buckley really playing false 9 though? He's more of an attacking midfielder 

I wouldn't be against swapping them though. 

The main issue is we have stopped scoring 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It was all working well up to a few games ago. Rothwell was making those decisions to drop back and get the ball. He was paying CM, that's his favoured position. 

We’ve stopped making chances to score. I reckon we had two decent chances last night. Buckley’s and Rothwell’s , other than that it was all huff and puff.

Our set pieces bring us nothing. We never look like scoring from free kicks and we’re not much better from corners.

They took a corner from their right and deliberately over played it to a guy coming in from wide out left. He totally was unmarked and got onto the ball. The next corner from that side they did exactly the same thing and he was still totally un-marked !

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I gave you my opinion on your question of, who was played out of position against Forest. 

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We’ve stopped making chances to score. I reckon we had two decent chances last night. Buckley’s and Rothwell’s , other than that it was all huff and puff.

Our set pieces bring us nothing. We never look like scoring from free kicks and we’re not much better from corners.

They took a corner from their right and deliberately over played it to a guy coming in from wide out left. He totally was unmarked and got onto the ball. The next corner from that side they did exactly the same thing and he was still totally un-marked !

Ya it was inexcusable for that tp happen twice in quick succession 

Have nerves crept in with us I wonder? Missing Brereton for 2 games didn't help either

• Moderation Lead
52 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Who was played out of position last night? 

Ryan Hedges came on at right back.

I’ll bet he’s never played there before last night. Particularly as he’s left footed….

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

Ryan Hedges came on at right back.

I’ll bet he’s never played there before last night. Particularly as he’s left footed….

He didn't start there though, we were losing at that stage and I suppose it was just get as many attackers on as possible and hope it breaks. Personally I would have brought on Nyambe, but I don't think its fair to say we lost last night because Mowbray has reverted to playing players out of position. 

• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He didn't start there though, we were losing at that stage and I suppose it was just get as many attackers on as possible and hope it breaks. Personally I would have brought on Nyambe, but I don't think its fair to say we lost last night because Mowbray has reverted to playing players out of position. 

If he ended up at right back for most of the time he was on, then that’s where he played as far as I’m concerned.

Otherwise, I think we lost because we weren’t good enough on the night.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I’ve seen teams chucking all the forwards on to try and salvage the game quite often before. It rarely works, you just lose your shape and leave gaps at the back. Just like last night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Post Forest Mowbray states 'no concerns', full deluded mode in operation.

Yeah, I'd hoped he wouldn't return to type with the delusional post match pressers, but he's back with a bang. "We created loads of chances". For my money, we created one really decent opening all match. Forest had 6-7+. It was like the Mowbray of pre 21-22, where if we win the possession stats he seems to think we batter teams, when in reality we get to their final third and sh*t ourselves.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

If he ended up at right back for most of the time he was on, then that’s where he played as far as I’m concerned.

Otherwise, I think we lost because we weren’t good enough on the night.

We didn't lose cos he brought Hedges on there, as you say, we lost cos we weren't good enough. We were second best in every way, missed chances and defended surprisingly poorly 

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We didn't lose cos he brought Hedges on there, as you say, we lost cos we weren't good enough. We were second best in every way, missed chances and defended surprisingly poorly 

But again, your question was, who was played out of position. Not why did we lose.

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

But again, your question was, who was played out of position. Not why did we lose.

No ,another poster said we lost because Mowbray played players out of position and you then gave 3 examples of players who didn't actually play out of position 

Are you ok? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

18 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

What would be the consensus if mowbray doesn’t get us up on moving him on and getting Rooney in?

im coming round to it, doing a helluva job with derby despite their circumstances but still very unlikely to keep them up 

Rooney claims to have turned down interest from his boyhood club in the Premier League to finish what he started at Derby.

13 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Sack him for me whilst we still have a chance of the play offs. Compensation should be minimal by now.

At least someone else might start with our best eleven players.

We are third in the league. We are where we are because of Mowbray.

4 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Rev is right though, get Mowbray out NOW.

3rd in the bloody league.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I might have to call it a day then Gav. That wouldn’t be like the Coyle appointment, when I did temporarily call it a day, but it’s pretty bad. We’ve seen what he can do and it’s not good enough for Blackburn Rovers even if it’s good enough for the Chicken Chokers.

We may still go up this season, losing a few now isn't the end of the world due to where Mowbray and this young team have got us. You've been doing this for longer than I have, keep the faith, you just never know.