BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Absolutely out of left field suggestion, give me Mark Bonner from Cambridge. Young manager, doing very very well for Cambridge. Not the best manager we could get at the moment but I think he is destined to be a top manager in the not too distance future.  Great with academy players and integrating them in well.

Edited by CambridgeRover
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Nuttall is lost said:

I only mentioned his name Wednesday night that Hughes would be a great appointment as he was unemployed for 4 years and almost the forgotten man in management.  Then out of nowhere he goes to Bradford when I wake up yesterday morning.

If Mowbray goes then there aren;t many replacements lined up:

Pulis

Keane

Ranieiri

Martin O'Neill

Espirito Santo

Anyone else?

Bilic

Jokanovic

Hughton

Back in the summer or earlier this season there were quite a few decent looking options available for us - Wilder, Neil, Hughes, Cooper, Bruce until recently.

Now I'm struggling to think of many decent options.

Good news is I'm not paid £300,000 per year to go out and find these people, and because a name or names don't jump out immediately by virtue of them being linked to Blackburn doesn't mean there aren't good strong options out there in the big wide world.

This season has gone in 3 phases so far. The first phase was from August to November, saw us floating around mid-table and inconsistent. The second phase covered November and December, saw us establish a settled and functioning side, went on a brilliant run and gatecrashed the automatic spots. The third phase covered January and February and has seen relegation form, no goals and a return to inconsistency in performance, tactics and team selection.

Only in one of those 3 phases - covering 2 months out of 6 - have we resembled a promotion or play off chasing side.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, 47er said:

Sparky would have got us up with this squad plus 2 or 3 key signings---which wouldn't have been as expensive as Mowbray's.

I'm sure Mowbray would too, but sadly the owners refused to pay transfer fees that would have made that difference.....

6 hours ago, blue_n_white99 said:

Since we couldn't score in a brothel how do expect us to fair in these twists and turns. One thing consistent about TM are these death spirals, anything else is pure hope and that hope reduces in the summer when 3 or 4 walk out the door for free. He's had his snout in the trough long enough and apart from a little excitement leading up to Christmas he has been mediocre at best, time to part ways and get a little drive and enthusiasm in this side.

We will be part of twists and turns. 

Who knows what Lenihan, Rothwell and Nyambe will do. 

6 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Maybe.

But going off facts, we're dropping like a stone and can't score for toffee. Boro and Forest are improving.

Dropping a couple of places is dropping like a stone now? 

Despite our bad run we still beat Boro didn't we? 

WBA have dropped like a stone like I predicted they would. Ismael was a disaster for them despite their good start to the season

6 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

I only mentioned his name Wednesday night that Hughes would be a great appointment as he was unemployed for 4 years and almost the forgotten man in management.  Then out of nowhere he goes to Bradford when I wake up yesterday morning.

If Mowbray goes then there aren;t many replacements lined up:

Pulis

Keane

Ranieiri

Martin O'Neill

what a very poor managers there and most are yesterday men and not what we should be targeting as a replacement for Mowbray if we do part ways. 

Here my shortlist

Damien Johnson as internal candidate 

Neil Critchley from Blackpool

Mark Robins from Coventry

Paul Warne from Rotherham

Gareth Ainsworth from Wycombe

2 Left field choices

Rob Edwards from Forest Green Rovers(could be another Steve Cooper)

Kjetil Knutsen from bodo glimt in Norway

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2

I wouldn’t get too bogged down in who would be a good theoretical replacement for Mowbray. Some appointments that look good on paper turn into a disaster and some that look crap bizarrely work.

Even here a lot were horrified at Mowbray’s appointment very much yesterday’s man even back in 2017. A promotion to the prem a decade before we appointed him then an abysmal spell at Celtic and nothing efforts at boro/Coventry. Despite this he’s actually done an average job here better than most would have predicted. Even though not one single fan 5 years ago would have been touting Mowbray to replace Coyle

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I wouldn’t get too bogged down in who would be a good theoretical replacement for Mowbray. Some appointments that look good on paper turn into a disaster and some that look crap bizarrely work.

Even here a lot were horrified at Mowbray’s appointment very much yesterday’s man even back in 2017. A promotion to the prem a decade before we appointed him then an abysmal spell at Celtic and nothing efforts at boro/Coventry. Despite this he’s actually done an average job here better than most would have predicted. Even though not one single fan 5 years ago would have been touting Mowbray to replace Coyle

Wasn't Nigel Adkins the favourite for the job when Coyle sacked? 

I honestly can’t remember who we were linked with. The usual Venkys trait was to sack someone then take 5 weeks to replace them or just give it to someone already there. I seem to recall Mowbray was appointed fairly swiftly suggesting he was the target. Again I can’t recall which charlatan was in the swag hot seat at the time but how or why they landed on Mowbray will probably forever remain a mystery.   

6 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I honestly can’t remember who we were linked with. The usual Venkys trait was to sack someone then take 5 weeks to replace them or just give it to someone already there. I seem to recall Mowbray was appointed fairly swiftly suggesting he was the target. Again I can’t recall which charlatan was in the swag hot seat at the time but how or why they landed on Mowbray will probably forever remain a mystery.   

Mowbray was appointed the day after Coyle was sacked if I remember correctly. 

Paul Senior was here a Director of football operations. 

I emailed Paul asking him why we appoint him, etc. He replied. We exchanged a few emails during his time here

17 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

If he achieved top 6 with promotion or not I would offer a new contract. 

Well Bruce did go there. 

Budget constraints are fact. 

Yes correct there but now we are over achieving and in promotion push

We are in the top 6 mix. 

We are nowhere near as bad as when Coyle was here. Look at the squad he had and the players he bought in

It would be crazy to offer him a new deal if we don't get promoted. What if we finish 12th? 2nd down to 12th and you'd still give him a new deal?

I'm more inclined to agree with @Mercer, I'd probably bin him even of he got us promoted. No it wouldn't happen and it would be harsh but there is zero chance he would make a reasonable fist of staying up in the Prem.

If we are overachieving now, then Where should we be? Because if the answer is midtable then we've made absolutely zero progress under Mowbray in the last 3 seasons and just strengthens the argument to bin him.

I have no doubts that we won't finish the season in a playoff place and signing Mowbray up to a new deal shows a total lack of ambition.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray was appointed the day after Coyle was sacked if I remember correctly. 

Paul Senior was here a Director of football operations. 

I emailed Paul asking him why we appoint him, etc. He replied. We exchanged a few emails during his time here

What was the reason out of interest?

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

what a very poor managers there and most are yesterday men and not what we should be targeting as a replacement for Mowbray if we do part ways. 

Here my shortlist

2 Left field choices

I look at some of those, and I think why would they come to Rovers ?

10 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

It would be crazy to offer him a new deal if we don't get promoted. What if we finish 12th? 2nd down to 12th and you'd still give him a new deal?

I said I would offer him new contract if we finish top 6 whether we got promote or not. After that I would for new manager/head coach for next season. 

12 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

If we are overachieving now, then Where should we be? Because if the answer is midtable then we've made absolutely zero progress under Mowbray in the last 3 seasons and just strengthens the argument to bin him 

I think we are over achieving this season considering our budget which is mid table. 

Last season we massive under achieved as we should have top 6 considering our squad. Mowbray should have been sacked last season but wasn't. 

5 minutes ago, matt83 said:

What was the reason out of interest?

I find the email after and post them later. 

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Ok fair enough. But it's a better shortlist IMO then same old names we hear every time that most are yesterday men IMO

Talking of Adkins, Southampton did precisely what we need to do if Mowbray gets us promoted. They recognised that Adkins wasn't the man for them in the Premier League and acted decisively by bringing in Pochettino, a major upgrade. That decision was a game changer for Southampton. No room for sentiment, but the fans still see Adkins in a fond light.

It sounds harsh, but if Mowbray was to get us promoted it would be a massive achievement considering the backdrop at the club and he would be able to leave with his head held high.

Rovers in the Premier League would be a whole new ball game. We would be able to attract better players and better managers. We shouldn't pass up on that out of sentiment for what Mowbray has done for us.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Here my shortlist

2 Left field choices

Robins is a similar manager to Mowbray IMO. Lots of good traits and steady away but will never be good enough for what we need to get to the PL. 

I'm not sure if or why Critchley would leave Blackpool to come here but even if he did he's not done anything other than what many others have done and got a side out of League One. How about Darren Ferguson?

Ainsworth and Warne have been relegated out of this league every time they have been in it. Great in League One, never done anything in the Championship.

Johnson has never managed. How does that qualify him to manage this great club?

All in all I think your list shows a complete lack of ambition and imagination, and for that reason is probably the sort of list that will get formed on Waggott's desk. Look local (in house) and look into the division below. Small time small scale mentality.

Even if this season ends in disappointment again, which it looks like it will, I would hope the club have got some determination/ambition to go one better next year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I keep saying this, but why wouldn't they?

Looking in from the outside they must see that Mowbray has had 5 years to build his squad and run the club how he sees fit, operated under very little pressure, only had to sell one lf his players in his 5 years here, had a decent budget to buy young strikers and players. Even got to employ his own CEO.

Who wouldn't want some of that?!

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Here my shortlist

2 Left field choices

If they're yesterday men then what is Mowbray 🙄  although i do agree that is a weak list! Pullis and keane wouldn't been in my top hundred candidates 

Ranieri I just love but it it does seem his managerial magic isn't what it once was, plus we need to be looking for someone for the long term not just for a season or 2

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo