BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

10 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Mowbray said in an interview after the window that we had the chance to sign a striker but opted not to because it's not the way we play.

Someone posted the link in the Millwall thread.

A decision that looks more and more insane as each goalless game passes.

Exactly but it'll fall on deaf ears of those who don't want to know.

I'm no fan of the owners but they have provided several opportunities to sign another proper forward since last summer. Those running the team have looked clearly identified a few but decided to bin it off when they haven't come off. 

They and they alone have made the call to just get a few bods in and leave it at that and continue the mix and match policy hoping something comes off. Things could look a lot better if and when BBD and Dack are available but it might well be too late them.

Smart management would've taken some kind of insurance policy again when we were in such a good position. Even a cheap lump who can just go in the middle and cause problems would help. Might score one goal only but it could be a bloody important one. To never have that option in the ranks is ridiculous in this league if you seriously want to get out of it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Other than the bid of £1.5m to Dembele?

We don't know the circumstances, whether it was reliant on a Rothwell sale for example. We will see if that fee is added to the summer budget. I suspect not.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

More conspiracy theories there form yourself. 

We know that we made a 1.5 million for Dembele and we held talks with him. We also had 1.5 million bid for Styles accepted. Both in the public domain 

we don't play with main striker in the current formation. its that system that got us into top 6 and even a chance of playoffs. 

The Peterborough chairman confirmed the Dembele bid, how do you know for sure that a bid was accepted for Styles?

If there is any truth in it, that would tally up to my theory that they were the 2 players lined up by Mowbray with the Rothwell funds, before the owners stubbornness got in the way.

One thing that I called for in January was a forward that could play as a wide striker, so someone who could offer more of a goal threat without needing us to rip up the formation. I suppose armed with a budget of a twix and a curly wurly, that is a difficult task.

46 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Never said it before now, been patient, but sorry whatever the outcome this season its time for him to go, and take the idiots in the boardroom with him.

We have more than enough in the squad to beat Millwall at home, but team selection and tactics meant 1 point instead of 3.

He has done well in his time here, but cannot take us to the next level, and his interviews now are like a broken record

Why is that "whatever the outcome this season?" Just off the back of one frustrating result against a side off the back of 5 wins? Why do interviews matter?

Surely there is no need for such rigid statements with 10 games to go. He has 10 games to go to prove that he can take us to the next level, now what that means may depend on the individual. I would probably argue that a top 6 finish regardless of what happens in the play offs has taken us to the next level, I don't think that will probably happen, but if it does, I am open minded to him staying, if not then im not. Equally, if people think the only way to show that we can go to the next level is actual promotion, if that happens, does he still go in your mind? Even though he would have proven what you said he cant do?

Also @J*B when trying to quote more than one post, when it says at the bottom to then quote them in an actual post, the box is usually impossible to press because of the placing of the adverts. Can that be changed?

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Maja was close to £3m+ wages I'm led to believe and Obafemi was out of our price range too.

2 strikers the manager has been chasing for a while, we couldn't afford either booth, thats all I'm saying.

Whoever told you he’s at Stoke on £3m+ wages is winding you up.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We don't know the circumstances, whether it was reliant on a Rothwell sale for example. We will see if that fee is added to the summer budget. I suspect not.

The Peterborough chairman confirmed the Dembele bid, how do you know for sure that a bid was accepted for Styles?

If there is any truth in it, that would tally up to my theory that they were the 2 players lined up by Mowbray with the Rothwell funds, before the owners stubbornness got in the way.

One thing that I called for in January was a forward that could play as a wide striker, so someone who could offer more of a goal threat without needing us to rip up the formation. I suppose armed with a budget of a twix and a curly wurly, that is a difficult task.

Why is that "whatever the outcome this season?" Just off the back of one frustrating result against a side off the back of 5 wins? Why do interviews matter?

Surely there is no need for such rigid statements with 10 games to go. He has 10 games to go to prove that he can take us to the next level, now what that means may depend on the individual. I would probably argue that a top 6 finish regardless of what happens in the play offs has taken us to the next level, I don't think that will probably happen, but if it does, I am open minded to him staying, if not then im not. Equally, if people think the only way to show that we can go to the next level is actual promotion, if that happens, does he still go in your mind? Even though he would have proven what you said he cant do?

Also @J*B when trying to quote more than one post, when it says at the bottom to then quote them in an actual post, the box is usually impossible to press because of the placing of the adverts. Can that be changed?

Its based on far more than last nights result. Since Xmas we've been very poor.

His transfer business has been suspect.

He has had a few seasons in the championship now, and even with a promotion the team would need major surgery to have any chance of staying up.

He is not the man to do that, im thankful of his efforts and have defended him to the hilt, but after 5 years its time for a change 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Its based on far more than last nights result. Since Xmas we've been very poor.

His transfer business has been suspect.

He has had a few seasons in the championship now, and even with a promotion the team would need major surgery to have any chance of staying up.

He is not the man to do that, im thankful of his efforts and have defended him to the hilt, but after 5 years its time for a change 

You said that he cant take us to the next level.

But are you now saying that if he did take us to the next level. Something which I would consider even to be making us a top 6 team, but even if you say it has to be promotion. He would be sacked anyway?

Any promoted Championship side will be up against it if they got promoted, especially a side that has been assembled for relative peanuts. Fulham will struggle if they go up, Bournemouth will, look at Norwich now. Thats not a slight on Mowbray that we would.

Since Christmas we have been poor, prior for a couple of months we were incredible, ultimately all that matters is where that levels out and its in the top 6 as things stand. Surely it depends on whether that is the case after the last game?

His transfer record has been at least reasonable I would argue. He has only (to my recollection) spent a million or more three times, out of those, one scored nearly 30 goals and got sold for a huge profit, (that wasnt reinvested) another is on 20 goals and again will likely generate a huge profit in the summer, the third admittedly is crap, he has chipped in with a few goals in his time but a poor purchase, 2 out of 3 isnt bad.

After that, hes dealing with cheap transfers, freebies and loans. He has signed Dack, Kaminski, Pickering, Rothwell and a few others who all have been bargains, of course there are some duds too, thats the market. Some inspired loanees too, but overall not dealing in a top 6 level market.

25 minutes ago, booth said:

Whoever told you he’s at Stoke on £3m+ wages is winding you up.

I never said he was at Stoke on £3m+ wages? Apologies if I gave that impression.

That is what WE were quoted, as reported in Telegraph.

Mowbray went for strikers, the money wasn't available, to bring this back to the original point. 

Edited by Gav

19 minutes ago, Gav said:

I never said he was at Stoke on £3m+ wages? Apologies if I gave that impression.

Mowbray went for strikers, the money wasn't available, to bring this back to the original point. 

The same Mowbray that said he had three shortlists in terms of costs?

He couldn’t bring in one striker?

I can hear Victor Mildrew screaming his head off.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gav said:

So they gave Maja to Stoke on loan but wanted 3 million from us?

He failed a medical in the summer.He was here on deadline day, that move did not break down due to money.

Mowbray said he had the opportunity to bring in a 9 but didn't feel the need with the system we are playing.We didn't follow up the Maja interest in January.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The constant repetition of the storyline that we seriously went for strikers in January does not make this particular 'big lie' true.

FFS even our Manager says we didn't when we could have.

Lets just agree the Telegraph are telling lies, thats probably easiest all round....

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
47 minutes ago, tina said:

Mowbray has said in the press that Hedges needs to learn his system. What an arrogant disillusinal man. No wonder we will fall away

I’m sure he’s capable of not scoring as well, in his defence.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I’m sure he’s capable of not scoring as well, in his defence.

It does look like the Championship is one level above his ability, and I posted it in the match thread last night, but at least he tried a couple of efforts from the edge of the area. The rest of them could be there til Christmas and not pull the trigger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tina said:

Mowbray has said in the press that Hedges needs to learn his system. What an arrogant disillusinal man. No wonder we will fall away

See ball kick ball

I wouldn't be surprised if the person to ultimately decide to move on is Mowbray rather than the club. He's had a good season, stock is high, will find a roughly equivalent club pretty easily.

I doubt our ownership will be decisive one way or another in terms of a new contract, and given that a lot of key players are leaving because of contracts running out, and he's been here a fair while, I can see him leaving. 

If we don't go up of course. But going up looks very unlikely to me even if we do make the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the person to ultimately decide to move on is Mowbray rather than the club. He's had a good season, stock is high, will find a roughly equivalent club pretty easily.

I doubt our ownership will be decisive one way or another in terms of a new contract, and given that a lot of key players are leaving because of contracts running out, and he's been here a fair while, I can see him leaving. 

If we don't go up of course. But going up looks very unlikely to me even if we do make the playoffs.

The mooted two year contract will take him till his 60 and his pension fund will be looking nice by then. Can we really see him wanting the hassle of another gig right now when he can coast another 2 seasons here ?

I agree he'll likely be the one who decides when he's finished at Rovers but it won't be in the near future. Load of departures in summer, wheeling and dealing with his mate Parko bringing more youth in. No expectations next season after the summer turnaround.

Doddle, he loves it here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

What we know is that Dembele didn't sign for us. That's all that matters. We won't get bonus points in May for bidding and talking to a player (even if it is true).

This isn't Sunday league stuff where if a prospective player turns you down you just shrug your shoulders and "at least we tried".

This is a billion pound industry where a place in the richest league in the world was within reach, so I'm not really interested in trying and failing. Each and every window there is a list of decent looking players that we supposedly tried to get but failed. 

It is also in the public domain that we can't score goals and it was blatantly obvious to anyone watching that we needed to add to the goalscoring ranks in January. Failure to do so either lies with the owners for failing to provide the cash or with Mowbray and Waggott for not getting deals done. 

You seem to want to blame neither.

We don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes and its not wise to be over critical with knowing the full facts but we did money to spend and were bidding for players in the January window. Just look at summer window when we had Maja ready to sign on deadline day but no-one knew that until after Summer window. 

We did sign an player who fitted the role how we play our forwards in the January window but he got injured after one game

Also you keep going on and one about us not signing a forward but we didn't. As you said last night in the match thread "Would have, could have, should have - but we didn't."

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

posted a link last week to the Styles bid and started a thread about it. If you want to not believe it but that's your decision. 

We did sign a forward in Markanday that suited our style in January

8 hours ago, den said:

What’s a “main striker”? 

Every team plays - or tries to play - with goalscorers. We started the season with none but got lucky when Brereton stepped up. Then he got injured and here we are. Not one first team goalscorer to be seen anywhere.

Just bad luck?

Someone who play the main striker like Shearer did in his time here or a Danny Graham who lead the line or is the focus point of the attack in my opinion 

Edited by chaddyrovers

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Yes, hide the ad?