BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes and its not wise to be over critical with knowing the full facts but we did money to spend and were bidding for players in the January window. Just look at summer window when we had Maja ready to sign on deadline day but no-one knew that until after Summer window. 

We did sign an player who fitted the role how we play our forwards in the January window but he got injured after one game

Also you keep going on and one about us not signing a forward but we didn't. As you said last night in the match thread "Would have, could have, should have - but we didn't."

So we signed a guy who struggled to get in Spurs' reserve side as the man to get us promoted?

Then he got injured we had 2 weeks to act and did nothing.

I'm entitled to comment on the lack of business done in January and yes, could have, should have, would have perfectly sums it up. That is a failing on the part of the club and heads will need to roll if we don't make the top 6 because it will be disastrous if we don't from where we were in February.

I'm pointing out things that could and should have been done that we failed to do as directly responsible for the downturn in results 

You appear to want to credit the club with trying and failing to do things. Doesn't work like that.

• Like 9

A club who couldn't possibly find anyone else.

There are no strikers anywhere else in football so you've got to collect kids to try and make into false 9s.

Lets be honest even if he was fit he might still be learning the Rovers way so there are no guarantees we'd have seen much of him anyway.

I think my issues with TM fall into a few categories:

First and foremost the most basic errors that he makes repeatedly. His competition to see who is the worst possible choice at right wing being one of them. For.all his other merits beyond basic mistakes like this aren't really acceptable. Whether you think our position is good bad or mediocre just imagine how much better it would/could be IF the utterly daft, blatantly obvious mistakes weren't made. That alone to me.is why he isn't good enough as a manager for Rovers. 

Two other issues that really bug me with him. There's the fact that every year we seem to be short of a squad with little long term planning. "Defenders are coming" took years, we still haven't replaced Armstrong, too many key players are able to run down contracts. Of course the owners also carry some of the blame for this too but we seem to match from issue to issue. Seems poor planning all round imo. 

Then there's his comments. No manager has completely told the whoppers that he has or slated the fan base as he has. Particular lows include resetting the clock, lies about being new to the championship, fans thinking it was 95 and the inciting fans to confront other fans if they express criticism. All of which, I struggle to get behind a guy who is like that. 

Of course there are other issues. The death spirals are inexcusable whilst the failing to capitalise on strong positions is frustrating too. However whilst both may see him booted anywhere else and aren't great, neither of which are massively underachieving (just failing to capitalise on great opportunities.) 

So yeah got to go at the end of the season. For all our players missing sitters that seems to be the dislikeable one's speciality too, failing to seize opportunities. Will he leave us in a better place than the end of the Lambert era? (Coyle was useless but utterly shafted by the owners so not a fair comparison imo). Probably just but not much progress for the time he has taken. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Edward Howe will be available in summer I reckon after Newcastle boot him out for a big name.  Might be a stretch getting him.

It'll be at least another year or two I think before Newcastle move on from Howe. And even then he'd probably get another PL job if he's done well at Newcastle, which he's doing so far.

10 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

A club serious about promotion, one who came into the window light on forwards, doesn’t make a 20 year old, who had never played a first team game, their only signing for that position.

And he's a winger, not a striker. I'd be interested to know how many goals he'd scored from the wing for Tottenhams youth or under 23's team. Was he prolific?

Look at TMs record after Xmas at all the clubs he has managed. It's is shocking and it is not a coincidence. He never adapts or contemplates a plan B. By Jan, Feb if a team is going well they tend to have a set formation and style of play. This season ours has been to have less of ball and break at pace. Opposition managers have clearly worked us out. If they sit deep we have no space to utilise pace in behind. So wheres the plan B? We are predictable. He has consistently failed after Xmas. He is either blind to it, unable to solve the problem or too stubborn to consider finding another way. Probably a combination of the 3.

Regarding Gallagher I feel for the lad. He's been working on protecting the full/wing back for 2 years instead of getting in the box. 10 mins up front here and there is not going to help him. 

Ps TM appears so stubborn and obviously is far wiser than us fans that I fear if we chant Dacks name when he warms up on touchline TM will probably leave him on bench just to show us who's the boss and keep us in our place.

Edited by speedies gonna get ya.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, JHRover said:

So we signed a guy who struggled to get in Spurs' reserve side as the man to get us promoted?

How did he struggled to get into Spurs' reserve side in the last 18 months before he moved here when he made 14 appearances this season scoring 12 goals and last season played in 20 games out of 24 games that the Spurs Under 23 squad had? 

Dilan Markanday - Detailed stats | Transfermarkt

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

How did he struggled to get into Spurs' reserve side in the last 18 months before he moved here when he made 14 appearances this season scoring 12 goals and last season played in 20 games out of 24 games that the Spurs Under 23 squad had? 

Dilan Markanday - Detailed stats | Transfermarkt

Meanwhile look at who Forest and Middlesbrough signed. Next you'll tell me 'we couldn't afford it' or 'FFP'

Middlesbrough lost a lot more than we did last year. Signed Connolly and Balogun. No problems scoring goals.

Joke transfer window conducted by joke operators.

• Like 3

They really need to be sensible with any new contracts dished out to this regime because it only delivers when it's under a bit of pressure.

One year rolling deal makes 100% sense, no more talk of journeys and all that crap. Just heads down season on season and drive it forwards stop putting feet up on desks in a comfort zone. Otherwise backwards we go...again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Meanwhile look at who Forest and Middlesbrough signed. Next you'll tell me 'we couldn't afford it' or 'FFP'

Middlesbrough lost a lot more than we did last year. Signed Connolly and Balogun. No problems scoring goals.

Obsess by other teams. 

Mowbray told the press in Early January we wouldnt be overspending in the January's window. 

Oh yes Connelly and Balogun have set the world a light there given they have ONLY scored 1 goal in 10 appearances. 

Davis at Forest has 2 goals in 9 appearance. 

None of them suited how Mowbray plays the front 2. 

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

None of them suited how Mowbray plays the front 2. 

Maybe Mowbray needs to learn to play differently. That way we could sign players who can score and would have had a chance of automatic promotion.

Poor managers can't change a system or deploy a plan B and keep persisting with something that isn't working.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Maybe Mowbray needs to learn to play differently. That way we could sign players who can score and would have had a chance of automatic promotion.

Poor managers can't change a system or deploy a plan B and keep persisting with something that isn't working.

Did it work to get into the promotion race and top 6? I seemed to remember it did. 

Also you mention 2 players signed By Boro who have scored 1 goal in 10 appearances. What an impact.  

• Like 1

I think the system has worked this season and still is all we are missing is some balance across the front line and goals obviously. I really feel if he alters it much we'll start conceding bad goals again it's this system that suits the back line and midfielders. That's why we have stayed in the mix and not been losing 0-1 every week like last season.

Yes there should be a plan B and there should be a target man and another striker of some sort on the books. For me it's yet again come back to recruitment and squaddies over horses for courses. There was opportunity to get real back up and plan B but his default setting has always been mix and match.

In his element rotating and swapping about the forwards, an excuse to use everyone and just hope something works. Imo if he starts faffing about with the whole team and system things really will go up in smoke.

Was always going to be the case this season that if we do finish in the top 6 we'll have to grind ourselves there. Possession football and 433 would never have done it though.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JHRover said:

Connolly has 1 goal in 10 same for Balagoun.

Balagoun like Markanday hasnt played much at senior level.

The real left wing back he has craved and the team has needed has now arrived, to play right wing.

Fact is good as he can look hes neither scored nor created anything yet so to sum up we might assume he isn't in his correct position.

16 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Did you know he can cut back, and whack it on his left peg in the top corner?

More waffle here: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19984841.blackburn-rovers-no-january-transfer-window-regrets-tony-mowbray/

I’ve posted it in the Bristol City thread, but he’s admitting here that he he signed Hedges despite him not fitting the system.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Did you know he can cut back, and whack it on his left peg in the top corner?

More waffle here: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19984841.blackburn-rovers-no-january-transfer-window-regrets-tony-mowbray/

I’ve posted it in the Bristol City thread, but he’s admitting here that he he signed Hedges despite him not fitting the system.

Not being unkind but the man needs help.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JHRover said:

Tbf Dilan will be at the club beyond the end of the season and the players you mentioned are hardly banging them in.