BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

I don’t buy the ‘but who would venky’s replace him with line’. Life’s too short: Mowbray year on year is on par with Einsteins definition of insanity. I’ve reached the point where I don’t care whether it works if not; I’d rather take the gamble and see what happens.

heard some Bantam discussing the impact Hughes has had on them in 3 games despite the results. What I’d give for some passion and identity like that. Supporting Rovers is a painful, downright depressing and thankless task again. 

Edited by SamTheShrew
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ignoring them? they are facts but the manager isn't the person who is on pitch, its the players who have these chances to sore and haven't taken them. You can only so far and so much keep blaming Mowbray. 

Well lets see what happen for the rest of the season and I think we will make the playoffs. 

Well we have to win the next game and rest will take care of itself. 

Am on ignore but could someone please highlight how the manager is to be credited with having us in the playoffs (for now) but excused from being blamed for our poor run of form. Genuine question - how can he be credited with the league position and absolved of recent performances. Surely the same person(s) are responsible for both?

• Like 2

I'm expecting us to finish 8th or 9th from here. Just watch Mowbray try to dress it up as being a brave, gallant effort from a set of young lads who just fell short in the end against clubs who had bigger budgets. Oh and the injuries to Markanday and Diaz at a key moment in the season will be thrown in there somewhere.

We aren't ever going up with him as manager. He has just thrown away our best chance in years as he doesn't want it. Years of repeated mistakes and a stubborn refusal to change his ways should tell you that. Let's not waste any more time with him. We've already wasted enough.

• Like 8

Looking back, from the home Fulham debacle on 3rd Nov to the Wigan FA Cup exit on 8th Jan (the turning point of the season) our good run which took us to 2nd place in the table saw us take

23 points out of 27 from 9 games

Since the Wigan defeat, we have taken

12 points out of 36 from 12 games

On past form, there's a good case for saying Tony's death spiral has now run its course and we're due an upturn in fortunes

On the other hand.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SamTheShrew said:

I don’t buy the ‘but who would venky’s replace him with line’. Life’s too short: Mowbray year on year is on par with Einsteins definition of insanity. I’ve reached the point where I don’t care whether it works if not; I’d rather take the gamble and see what happens.

heard some Bantam discussing the impact Hughes has had on them in 3 games despite the results. What I’d give for some passion and identity like that. Supporting Rovers is a painful, downright depressing and thankless task again. 

I agree, I think his time should be up. He's done all he can here.

I am genuinely worried about who they would get as his replacement though.

Quick question:

TMs good and bad spells have all come in runs. Do people think fans would look more or less positively on TM if our results were more interspersed rather than a run of wins or losses? If it was more WLWLD would fans look on him more or less favourably? 

I appreciate the runs show other things as well but I do wonder if it skews opinions on his ability. 

Just now, Blue blood said:

Quick question:

TMs good and bad spells have all come in runs. Do people think fans would look more or less positively on TM if our results were more interspersed rather than a run of wins or losses? If it was more WLWLD would fans look on him more or less favourably? 

I appreciate the runs show other things as well but I do wonder if it skews opinions on his ability. 

At the minute it's peaks and troughs. You get your hopes up and think we can beat anyone, to not being able to score a goal or seeing where the next win is coming from.

Bristol was about as much of a gimmie as you could get. 19th in the league, not kept a clean sheet since the ice age and poor on the road. And what's happens, because we are on an awful run, they turn up and win. 

If his tenure was more WLD, he'd be viewed as bang average, which he actually is. He just does it in streaks, which polarises the view of him, depending if we are on a high or a low. 

At the end of the day, he isn't getting us promoted irrespective of how the results come. It will always be midtable(ish) under him.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Quick question:

I think its a good question and something I agree with. People tend to focus on specific runs which as you say arent irrelevant especially when they tend to happen at similar times albiet to varying degrees. But you often for example hear "2 wins in 17" in relation to last season, which is IMO people selecting specific runs to to suit the point they want to make. All that mattered is how the results levelled out over all 46 games which was in 15th place which was worthy of criticism in itself without needing to focus on 17 specific games.

If we finished say 7th or 8th, it would be justified to an extent to point out us being 2nd/3rd and how we have dropped from there, I totally get that. Equally as you say, if it was linear and we had been there all season or even went up to there near the end of the season, it would be viewed differently.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Quick question:

I think they probably would, I think I would for sure.

It might be harsh, but the main thing i will remember Mowbray for during his time here are his horrendous winless runs of form.

9 defeats in 11 games in 18-19

2 wins in 17 games in 20-21

2 wins and 2 goals in 10 games (so far) in 20-22.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I think they probably would, I think I would for sure.

It might be harsh, but the main thing i will remember Mowbray for during his time here are his horrendous winless runs of form.

9 defeats in 11 games in 18-19

2 wins in 17 games in 20-21

2 wins and 2 goals in 10 games (so far) in 20-22.

It's also important to point out that these runs are constsntly in the same patterns each season. This isn't just bad runs, it's bad runs after the new year.

When you factor in the same issues at Cov and Boro, that points to a chronic inability to change and by extension an inability to succeed.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think its a good question and something I agree with. People tend to focus on specific runs which as you say arent irrelevant especially when they tend to happen at similar times albiet to varying degrees. But you often for example hear "2 wins in 17" in relation to last season, which is IMO people selecting specific runs to to suit the point they want to make. All that mattered is how the results levelled out over all 46 games which was in 15th place which was worthy of criticism in itself without needing to focus on 17 specific games.

If we finished say 7th or 8th, it would be justified to an extent to point out us being 2nd/3rd and how we have dropped from there, I totally get that. Equally as you say, if it was linear and we had been there all season or even went up to there near the end of the season, it would be viewed differently.

Indeed it really does skew opinion - mine included - and perhaps does detract from things. 

This is a really helpful post not least as it helps me think why the runs are problematic in themselves. As you say the end result is more relevant. 

I think my legitimate issue with the poor runs areas follows:

1) it shows a lack of accountability. Anywhere else such runs would not be tolerated..there's a frustration there is no accountability from on high or even contrition from the man himself. 

2) It shows an inability to react. That the poor form.has come three times in the latter half of the season shows a lack of any plan B - once we are found out it can't be arrested - and insufficient work in. January to capitalise on good form. It seems as a club we are a bit of a one trick pony that gets found out. That's on the manager. 

In short circumstances do matter. For example whilst Coyle was and is a useless manager the record has to show and mitigate for the fact he was utterly shafted with funding. I think the circumstances do have some baring albeit less so than perhaps the focus warrants. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Quick question:

Quick answer

No.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

First half a prize turkey of his own making i texted my mate within 3 mins and said no way are we scoring this half.

From nil one down to the end of the game virtually invisible in plain sight.

Go figure.

All a bit bizarre wasn’t it. 

• Like 1

Certainly was but thank god some common sense prevailed in the second half with the subs.

A pity he didn't seem to want to join in the superb effort on the pitch and in the stands.  I thought we were all in it together ?

• Like 1

• Backroom

It was certainly curious as Mowbray very, very rarely makes subs at HT, let alone two. A message was sent from one side to another at HT. Whether that was from manager to players or the other way around, it saved us from another disaster of a result in the end. We can only hope some lessons were learned because we have no room for error now - as it stands top six is not even in our own hands anymore, so picking up as many points as possible during the run in is absolutely essential to give us any chance of getting over the line. 

I saw someone mentioned on Twitter(I know, I know), that Travis shouted in the first half questioning why the hell are we playing a DMF up front. 

Hopefully if it was player pressure the manager doesn’t choose another daft line up to spite them/us. He seems the type to be a bit of a spiteful bastard. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tomphil said:

Certainly was but thank god some common sense prevailed in the second half with the subs.

A pity he didn't seem to want to join in the superb effort on the pitch and in the stands.  I thought we were all in it together ?

He looked like he didn't want to be at the post match interview even though his 'interviewer' was very careful with his questions and phrasing. 

I struggle to convey how bad the Johnson gaff was and how that makes TM a liability even though he has his plus points. 

Using a building analogy. He knows how to build a wall. He can build a decent if not great one. But you have every chance he will use pritt stick glue instead of mortar. It undermines everything he does

Contrast with the likes of Coyle who would struggle to create said wall, but would never confuse mortar and glue. 

His mistakes are that bad.