BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Very concerning interview. We know from former players that he can really get the hump when things aren’t going right, but this looked more than that. Be interesting to see how he responds on Saturday both in set-up/personnel and his general demeanour. 

Feelings on his managerial ability aside, if it’s bringing him down this much, surely a parting of ways in the summer would be sensible for both parties.

• Like 2

He painted himself into a corner last night with that selection, and had no choice but to do something drastic at half time.

He's wasted a quarter of a season with his stubborness and poor decision making. Let's hope that the penny dropped last night, but with several other teams hot on our heels and the likelihood that we haven't seen the last of his idiocy, we will have to go some to nail a play off place.

It would not surprise me one bit to see Buckley back as a false 9 on Saturday.

• Like 4

Most fans could see what was wrong last night in the first half, so you can be sure that the players could.

It is a guess, but perhaps some of the players turned on him at half time and he threw his toys out of the pram and said okay do it your way.

I can't imagine the players would normally have a say in who is taken off and how the formation should be changed, but neither can I imagine why the manager would sit there with a face like thunder, when the changed, worked a treat and we had the 2 goals in 7 minutes.

Again just a guess, but if he has had total control (which he should have) for the previous 9 matches and he then delegated to either the players, or a coach, who immediately broke the goal draught, perhaps that's worth sulking about.

It might be total crap what I have just posted, but I can't work work it out any other way

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He looked like he didn't want to be at the post match interview even though his 'interviewer' was very careful with his questions and phrasing. 

Nobody gives him an easy time like Bayes.

Looking back now i think last nights antics were a shred of embarrassment from TM the guy knew he's ballsed it up.  He was clearly angry and some players they obvious weren't doing as they'd planned, that's fair enough.

But

The the set up was down to him and it did nothing but play into the hands of one of the leagues poorest sides. He knew it and he slunk away, not for the first time. Not sure what message that sends to players or fans but from the outside it looks very poor on his part.

I'd take the week off if i was him.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

I would take Rooney as our new manager for next season. The way he had Derby playing football last night with a team of misfits and youngsters, a team made up of players who are free to leave at the end of the season shows that he has the ability to get teams playing for him, and all this on the back of a huge points deduction and administration.

Mowbray appeared to me to be a busted flush. It was written all over his face and the half time response from the crowd emphasised that.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I would take Rooney as our new manager for next season. The way he had Derby playing football last night with a team of misfits and youngsters, a team made up of players who are free to leave at the end of the season shows that he has the ability to get teams playing for him, and all this on the back of a huge points deduction and administration.

Mowbray appeared to me to be a busted flush. It was written all over his face and the half time response from the crowd emphasised that.

Maybe the manager has got issues, as there is no way the manager should be displaying body language like he did, especially in the second half, when we turned it around.

If I was his boss, I would have him in first thing this morning to check out his health and of that was okay, I would want an explanation.

In Tony's words, "This is Blackburn Rovers". Please remember this Tony and show some respect for the club and the fans.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I'm not sure about Rooney but I am sure about Venkys---they won't pay. 

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

He painted himself into a corner last night with that selection, and had no choice but to do something drastic at half time.

He's wasted a quarter of a season with his stubborness and poor decision making. Let's hope that the penny dropped last night, but with several other teams hot on our heels and the likelihood that we haven't seen the last of his idiocy, we will have to go some to nail a play off place.

It would not surprise me one bit to see Buckley back as a false 9 on Saturday.

Said ages ago he'd reverted to type all it took was a few forced changes and off we go again into the land of the tombola. Look at what he had available last night and look at what he came up with to start.

Thank god those 3 center backs stay fit because if he had options he'd be pissing about with that as well. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 47er said:

I'm not sure about Rooney but I am sure about Venkys---they won't pay. 

What makes you say that? His wages will not be astronomical or in the same league as perhaps a Lampard when he was in charge and indeed the leagues are not awash with moneybags they were 2 years ago  !

5 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

What makes you say that? His wages will not be astronomical or in the same league as perhaps a Lampard when he was in charge and indeed the leagues are not awash with moneybags they were 2 years ago  !

Things may well have changed, since Coyle was parachuted in at the last minute to pull the rug from under the feet of Warnock. As that was due to them thinking he was cheaper and doing the same job, perhaps he has a point.

Of course things could be different now, but I somehow doubt it.

3 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

I am surprised by Rooney and believe he has merit as a manager. He has stated aims to manage in the PL and hope he doesn't take on the poisoned chalice of OT too soon.

3 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

One thing you cannot argue against last night was that our players are playing for the manager.

Derby were naive, they played into our hands sticking to their principles when we had them in traps.

3 hours ago, lraC said:

Maybe the manager has got issues, as there is no way the manager should be displaying body language like he did, especially in the second half, when we turned it around.

If I was his boss, I would have him in first thing this morning to check out his health and of that was okay, I would want an explanation.

In Tony's words, "This is Blackburn Rovers". Please remember this Tony and show some respect for the club and the fans.

He doesn't and hasn't disrespected this club, and I do not get this focus on how he acts on the sides or what he says at the end.

He can be critiqued for decisions he makes, weird tactical choices, poor signings, but there is an obsession relating to how he acts. He is who he is, not the most animated of people but I think its totally unfair to question his attitude or his desire. He won't suddenly become animated, jumping around etc, that isn't his personality and doing that doesn't correlate necessarily with managerial competence or even passion.

Biggest way to respect the fans is to win a football match.

52 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

One thing you cannot argue against last night was that our players are playing for the manager.

Derby were naive, they played into our hands sticking to their principles when we had them in traps.

He doesn't and hasn't disrespected this club, and I do not get this focus on how he acts on the sides or what he says at the end.

He can be critiqued for decisions he makes, weird tactical choices, poor signings, but there is an obsession relating to how he acts. He is who he is, not the most animated of people but I think its totally unfair to question his attitude or his desire. He won't suddenly become animated, jumping around etc, that isn't his personality and doing that doesn't correlate necessarily with managerial competence or even passion.

Biggest way to respect the fans is to win a football match.

Maybe I wrong here, but did he not look like a man who was totally fed up last night and given that there was not even the slightest flicker of emotion, when we scored any of the goals, does that not come across as strange?

I have reacted more, when our arch rivals down the road have scored than he did last night. Something was not right there in my opinion.

• Like 2

We lose, he gets the blame. Fair enough. Shit selection, stubbornness, all on TM.

We win, not only does he get no credit for the turnaround, as it’s all due to the dressing room shop stewards staging a revolt, but *checks notes* his body language is disrespecting the club, and as a fan, disrespecting me, due to him sitting in the dugout for 45 minutes with a face on.

I’ve always defended this place, as yes it’s on the negative side, but still a place for a more cerebral exchange of views than Facebook etc. But sorry, some of you have lost the plot these last few weeks…

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lraC said:

Maybe this is the reason for the mood Mowbray was in for the second half. There is no way not a single player has said anything about this, when the player himself has put this out.

image.thumb.png.f5861da614649a95c7e5d8027fec4da9.png 

Edited by lraC
Doc added

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

As far as Mowbray goes in his time here its become more all about him and less about the club. That's the way he likes it and whenever the muck starts flying he goes all wobbly. This is about the 3rd time now in the past 3 years a grown man on c1 million a year publically sulks and snipes when the going gets tough.

Pathetic.

Fans pay their money and time and were here long before him and will be here long after. Frustrations boiled over last night and don't forget the previous 90 had seen us lose in the last min to Bristol. So the pressure had been building and the howls no matter how painful or offensive to some were perfectly understandable and would happen at most other teams in similar circumstances.

Whilst debate rages over who to credit the 2nd half with one thing cannot be questioned and that was the support. Regardless of what had gone before of feelings towards the manager the BBE answered the call to arms. That had a massive effect on the team and played just as big a part as anything else.

So people having a pop at fans in attendance need to reel it especially the plonkers who seem to put Mowbray and his eggshell ego above everything else.

I will never understand that some fans simply want to defend the player/manager, no matter what. Rovers fans have put with enough crap over the last few years and as we saw yet again, we had the manger clearly having a strop at something. If it was the fans then he should hang his head in shame. If it was a result of the players lashing out at half time, which seems to be most likely, then he needs to accept that they were right and perhaps start to listen to advice, from others.

The tweet from Bradley Johnson is rather telling and perhaps it wasn't just him who had a go. The rest probably behind closed doors, but fair play to Johnson for first of all, doing what the manager asked, despite the absurdity, but also having the balls to question it, in the public domain.

• Like 6

For those suggesting that i posted that Mowbray has disrespected the club, here are my words, taken from the post above Please remember this Tony and show some respect for the club

It may appear to some that I am saying he disrespected the club, but I didn't. I asked that he show some respect, which is a totally different thing.

• Like 1

Sometimes these bust ups clear the air, fans, manager, players all having a pop gets it out the system.

It could just have done the world of good and galvanized everyone again for a little while longer at least.

• Like 4

Exactly.

All the pearl clutching on here since last over a bit of a fracas in the dressing room and a manager with the hump is just bizarre.

It’s professional football, adrenaline will have been pumping with an unexpected place in the Premier League on the line, potential life changing situation for this group of players, it wasn’t a bridge night at the rotary club.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

• Backroom

The players certainly made their point in the second half, regardless of what was or wasn't said at half time. I don't think we'll see anything as jaw-droppingly stupid as Johnson at false 9 again this season, but am still fully expecting Sam Gallagher to be wide right on Saturday.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DE. said:

The players certainly made their point in the second half, regardless of what was or wasn't said at half time. I don't think we'll see anything as jaw-droppingly stupid as Johnson at false 9 again this season, but am still fully expecting Sam Gallagher to be wide right on Saturday.

I totally agree, but I am stil holding out hope of Gally through the middle, as a center-forward.