BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

National league and North and South

• 3 weeks later...

With my personal loathing of the way International football takes over the domestic game and being starved of my live football fix I decided to go to Cantilever Park, Warrington for their game against FC United. It was only £8 for me and my granddaughter with street parking five minutes from the ground. I refereed there years ago and the ground is pretty much the same but the pitch was probably the best I have seen at that level. Playing for Warrington was Stefan Mols, once of this parish. He had some decent touches but nothing came from them and was hooked after 75 minutes. FC won 1-0 in an entertaining game in front of 1400 spectators.

When we have our enforced Winter hiatus I would recommend to anyone at a loose end to check the fixtures for the Northern Premier League and pick a game. It really is enjoyable watching a live match and not really caring who wins.

I’ve always wondered how big a football club the likes of St Helen’s, Warrington, indeed Wigan could’ve produced without RL being so embedded. Warrington has a pretty big catchment area, for example.

A Rovers/Bolton sized club? Or due to the vicinity to Manchester and Liverpool, more a Bury/Rochdale? 

Edited by Mattyblue

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I’ve always wondered how big a football club the likes of St Helen’s, Warrington, indeed Wigan could’ve produced without RL being so embedded. Warrington has a pretty big catchment area, for example.

A Rovers/Bolton sized club? Or due to the vicinity to Manchester and Liverpool, more a Bury/Rochdale? 

big rl territory for sure but anybody who does`nt go to the rugby in warrington or st helens will be supporting man utd or liverpool, non league football clubs are going to struggle in that area

mk dons have a similar problem,massive catchment area but get poor crowds because most of the town catch the train for the short journey to north london  supporting arsenal or spurs

Clitheroe are in the FA Cup 3rd qualifying round at home to AFC Bury next week after beating the higher ranked Spennymoor in the last round. A win there and they are one win away from the first round proper for the first time in their history.

Good luck to them.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

No lover of their fans but very sad to see what a mess Oldham are in,may well take the drop again.

Never thought i'd see the day when Oldham were in the same league as Chorley but it could happen next season.The days of Joe Royle's team on the plastic pitch beating the best teams in England are a long way off now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 25/03/2023 at 12:52, Sweaty Gussets said:

Welcome to the real world some might say!

More needed for the highly paid players who can afford to take the hit and still have millions (unless they're morons with their money, in which case that's their fault), rather than these lads, many of whom aren't being paid anything special.

This isn't normal trade though, is it a players fault if the club haven't prepared them well for the game and they get injured, or is it the payers fault?

What if some chodder takes them out?

I understand the reasons for this in normal working conditions but for instance if you get injured at work normally you would get full pay, and maybe even some compensation if the employers was at fault.

To say footballers should get sick pay if someone has broken their leg seems a little harsh to me.

4 hours ago, The Gull said:

This isn't normal trade though, is it a players fault if the club haven't prepared them well for the game and they get injured, or is it the payers fault?

What if some chodder takes them out?

I understand the reasons for this in normal working conditions but for instance if you get injured at work normally you would get full pay, and maybe even some compensation if the employers was at fault.

To say footballers should get sick pay if someone has broken their leg seems a little harsh to me.

I'd have said there's scope for a legal Eagle having a field day with a Test Case on that issue, @The Gull!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Big day in the National League North tomorrow theres 3 points covering 4th place down to 12th going into the last game.Chorley in 8th atm needing a win at Gloucester to have a chance at one of the last playoff spots.It's still strange seeing Gloucester having to play in the North division.

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Shows just how much of the population lives down south if Gloucester (and King’s Lynn!) can’t find a place in NL South

3 of the 4 in the relegation places in the National league are southern teams too so more teams south of Birmingham might have to be shunted north next season