BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Steve Waggott

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

My understanding of his role is that he's currently undertaking a sort of market research, before really getting into the role proper next year.

I'd imagine a lot of it currently is meeting with various parties and working out how he can tally any targets he's being given by the board with the reality of commercial at Rovers.

I don't think he has any interest at all in ticket offers, for example, but more how the club can generate income from things like graphics on kids' mobile games, or 'Influencers', and stuff like that.

It sounds laughable at first but then, having asked my cousin's and mates, their kids would sooner spend £20 of their pocket money on a blue and white 'skin' for their online racing cars and characters than buy a matchday ticket.

If they spend that AND Dad buys them a ticket, that one child has generated 2x income than from pure ticket pricing.

It's an interesting area tbh, but not one I can fully relate to. Perhaps my equivalent is making my FB profile picture a Rovers one or something.

This sort of deal is very much the future…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54279530

9184102A-843F-4B57-BD05-1CDAE6E5E1DA.png

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

My understanding of his role is that he's currently undertaking a sort of market research, before really getting into the role proper next year.

I'd imagine a lot of it currently is meeting with various parties and working out how he can tally any targets he's being given by the board with the reality of commercial at Rovers.

I don't think he has any interest at all in ticket offers, for example, but more how the club can generate income from things like graphics on kids' mobile games, or 'Influencers', and stuff like that.

It sounds laughable at first but then, having asked my cousin's and mates, their kids would sooner spend £20 of their pocket money on a blue and white 'skin' for their online racing cars and characters than buy a matchday ticket.

If they spend that AND Dad buys them a ticket, that one child has generated 2x income than from pure ticket pricing.

It's an interesting area tbh, but not one I can fully relate to. Perhaps my equivalent is making my FB profile picture a Rovers one or something.

Then that is quite sad. 

My nephew is 6 and of course he likes computer games, but he is also enjoying his first season as an Ewood regular. The buzz of the whole day is absolutely everything to him and he doesn’t stop taking about Rovers all week. A lifelong attachment has now been created, so wait until he can go to away games etc. 

You cannot tell me that buying a ‘blue skin’ for a game in anyway compares? And surely the parent (if they go to games) should also be looking to get them down to an actual football ground?

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Then that is quite sad. 

My nephew is 6 and of course he likes computer games, but he is also enjoying his first season as an Ewood regular. The buzz of the whole day is absolutely everything to him and he doesn’t stop taking about Rovers all week. A lifelong attachment has now been created, so wait until he can go to away games etc. 

You cannot tell me that buying a ‘blue skin’ for a game in anyway compares? And surely the parent (if they go to games) should also be looking to get them down to an actual football ground?

Oh definitely, but apparently that's taking a back seat for a bit while the club 'modernises'.

For me, modernisation would be having your ST barcode on your phone, and paying it on a rolling basis like a Netflix subscription #RTMarketingProspectus

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Oh definitely, but apparently that's taking a back seat for a bit while the club 'modernises'.

For me, modernisation would be having your ST barcode on your phone, and paying it on a rolling basis like a Netflix subscription #RTMarketingProspectus

Getting young fans to Ewood is now ‘taking a back seat’ ?!?

Sorry what!? (These the kind of *changes* you are hearing so much about, @Revidge Blue  ? )

Jesus.

Edited by Mattyblue

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Getting young fans to Ewood is now ‘taking a back seat’ ?!?

Sorry what!? (These the kind of *changes* you are hearing so much about, @Revidge Blue  ? )

Jesus.

Not quite to that extent, just that they don't seem to be open to new ideas for doing it. Aside from Yas' fantastic community work.

On 15/12/2021 at 07:14, Herbie6590 said:

https://www.brfcs.com/magazine/articles/steve-waggott's-year-end-appraisal/128

A video in which Glenn from RoversChat & me try to explain the finances over the last four years & offer some explanations & suggestions…

A2C0BFB4-65A1-4BFB-A2C6-1B8F2F5EF69B.jpeg

CB487A00-2C72-4D98-A679-C7B525CAC6A7.jpeg

A very enjoyable discussion. Great to hear talk about SW that isn’t just banal name calling or sweeping generalisations.

I would give him a C @Herbie6590 - for similar reasons to Glenn. I feel he’s done ok in some ways but could’ve been far better. (and far worse)

Couple of key points; if the deal to sell Dack was signed and only stopped by his first injury, that probably impacted a lot of planning with investment in team.(notably contracts)

Throw in covid, and his initial task of funding a rebuild after 1 year of league one money - we've not done too shabbily with limited resources. The squad looks (and is performing) great, albeit with an unsettling, nagging, contract scenario.

The club is coming back from a period of demise and neglect that started well before his appointment. I feel he has made some positive decisions to try and alleviate some of this, such as the generation busses.

My overall main gripe with his appraisal (similar to you two and others) is this relentless “accountancy first” protocol with tickets.

It doesn’t effect me because of season tickets, and I can’t complain much because I moved to JWU as a relative is unable to use stairs anymore (they let him use lift)

That said - if I had or ever was a walk on ticket buying fan, I would be hardly attending these days, namely to cost.

Surely there is a better way?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mike E said:

First time a year 7 explained what a “fortnite battle pass” was, I couldn’t believe the idiocy of those paying for them, and the genius of selling them.

Loot boxes in fifa / cod etc - all extreme money spinners and modern ways to make money.

Skins with game brands won’t work IMO, it would only have pull locally (as our name isn’t Barcelona / PSG / Man City) and can’t see brands like FN, Fifa etc bothering due to limited appeal.

Where this potentially could work- make some printed products or .jpg that can be individualised. You know like those fifa cards people make their own? Be easy to sell digitally (and printed on card in club shop) and probably more likely appreciated by a teenage gamer.

Half the time with sales - it’s just getting the people online or inside and spending. Like mentioned in the video - where are the 🇨🇱  shirts in the club shop? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

For me it just sums up something we've discussed at work often, kids don't want to live in the real world, they want to live in their phones (online/virtual). How sad.

And that’s down to parents, a seven year old can easily get into the habit, engrossed in live football (plenty won’t, obviously, some kids just aren’t interested), but if they already enjoy the game, through playing for a kids team, by playing FIFA etc, it’s an open door, surely?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

And that’s down to parents, a seven year old can easily get into the habit, engrossed in live football (plenty won’t, obviously, some kids just aren’t interested), but if they already enjoy the game, through playing for a kids team, by playing FIFA etc, it’s an open door, surely?

My turn for a sweeping statement; the parents today can’t be arsed and would rather put YouTube on a tablet…! 😂 

Edited by JBiz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JBiz said:

My turn for a sweeping statement; the parents today can’t be arsed and would rather put YouTube on a tablet…! 😂 

I didn’t know I was making a sweeping statement? Surely it’s a given that the earlier you get exposed to live pro football the more likely you are to be swept away in all that makes being a football fan, a club fan, so great and fulfilling  (despite all the lows!).

Edited by Mattyblue

A CEO in situ for 4 years on an impressive salary comparative to the clubs income shouldn't really be getting a C- minus.

Certain things tie his hands obviously and covid has thrown a spanner in for most clubs but others have managed it and not many are backed by billionaires. Effort is everything and just squeezing what you have till it pops and throwing your hands up in the air at most other things doesn't cut it.

He's often quick to put over his version of evidence of why things 'don't' work but how about focusing on things that do ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I didn’t know I was making a sweeping statement? Surely it’s a given that the earlier you get exposed to live pro football the more likely you are to be swept away in all that makes being a football fan, a club fan, so great and fulfilling  (despite all the lows!).

Was just a general comment not aimed at you. I actually started my post this morning saying it’s refreshing to read discussion without the “SWAG” stuff or “sweeping generalisations” and here I am making my own..

In terms of your point here - totally agree. I’m now 30 years into my Football addiction and it started in the Riverside

Edited by JBiz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JBiz said:

A very enjoyable discussion. Great to hear talk about SW that isn’t just banal name calling or sweeping generalisations.

I would give him a C @Herbie6590 - for similar reasons to Glenn. I feel he’s done ok in some ways but could’ve been far better. (and far worse)

Couple of key points; if the deal to sell Dack was signed and only stopped by his first injury, that probably impacted a lot of planning with investment in team.(notably contracts)

Throw in covid, and his initial task of funding a rebuild after 1 year of league one money - we've not done too shabbily with limited resources. The squad looks (and is performing) great, albeit with an unsettling, nagging, contract scenario.

The club is coming back from a period of demise and neglect that started well before his appointment. I feel he has made some positive decisions to try and alleviate some of this, such as the generation busses.

My overall main gripe with his appraisal (similar to you two and others) is this relentless “accountancy first” protocol with tickets.

It doesn’t effect me because of season tickets, and I can’t complain much because I moved to JWU as a relative is unable to use stairs anymore (they let him use lift)

That said - if I had or ever was a walk on ticket buying fan, I would be hardly attending these days, namely to cost.

Surely there is a better way?

How pleasant to read a post that is not slagging off our CEO or using petty name calling; some reasoned debate 👍

Personally I have always found SW to be pleasant, forthcoming and easy to chat with.  That does not mean I agree with him (eg. ticket pricing) but you can have a robust discussion with him.

I SHALL NOW DON MY TIN SANTA HAT.

Edited by Bad Boy
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He sounds a very amiable chap. When I saw him doing the rounds in the Premier Suite the other week he looked like he was having many a jolly chat.

But that isn’t what he’s paid serious cash for…

I disagree.  That is his job on match day and I would except him to ‘do the rounds’. 

Edited by Bad Boy

From what I am reading TV and advertising money, is far more important that attracting supporters to the games.

Maybe we should flatten the stands and ban fans and concentrate on getting everyone signed up to I Follow/ Rovers TV and market them to death. No need for safety certificates, stewards, maintenance to the ground, catering, office staff, ticketing costs etc and the players get used to playing in conditions like last year. 

All I can say is WTF.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bad Boy said:

I disagree.  That is his job on match day and I would except him to ‘do the rounds’. 

Well obviously, didn’t expect to see him with a Do Not Disturb sign round his neck.

John Williams was the same, but he had substance behind the glad handing. SW’s tenure hasn’t offered much else…

Edited by Mattyblue

With these awful owners we've had to endure disaster after disaster with appointments across the club, be it Agnew, Singh and Shaw, or King rat, Coyle and Appleton, appalling appointments for a club like ours. Posters forget we had a bean counter in Cheston running the show for years, it was Mowbray that finally persuaded the club to bring in a bit of structure in Waggott, I'm sure it helps the manager and players behind the scenes, the fans have certainly seen discounted games under Waggott, we didn't see much of that before he arrived, but its not enough. 

Waggott is a third rate CEO, paid peanuts in CEO terms, he fits the Venky model perfectly and has done some good behind the scenes, but he's not good enough and until the owners leave we'll never attract anyone of a decent calibre as history continues to prove. 

Edited by Gav

So called Awful owners just shoved in another 8 million share conversion to under pin the club.

I know all the expenses of football but can never get my head around just where it ALL goes at this club.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1