BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

13 minutes ago, El Tombro said:

Souttar is supposedly a central defender turned defensive midfielder. Could be a versatile option next season if we don't get promoted but doesn't sound like a natural fit at centre back.

I have only ever seen him play centre back and is someone I suggestion over 2 years to someone we could be signing. 

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

because if Lenihan stays, we have, him ,Wharton, Carter, Pratt, Phillips, Johnson, to cover the three center back positions.  

Not sure Pratt will be first team next season but lets say we sign Souttar and Lenihan stays. We will have Souttar, Lenihan, Wharton, Carter, Ayala and Philips. 

Bradley Johnson will leave this summer and rightly so. Should have gone last summer

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have only ever seen him play centre back and is someone I suggestion over 2 years to someone we could be signing. 

Not sure Pratt will be first team next season but lets say we sign Souttar and Lenihan stays. We will have Souttar, Lenihan, Wharton, Carter, Ayala and Philips. 

Bradley Johnson will leave this summer and rightly so. Should have gone last summer

Pratt would be fifth choice and at no cost. Souttar would be fifth choice and cost a fee. I would prefer it if we tried to sign a right wing-back.

Edited by rigger

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

Pratt would be fifth choice and at no cost. Souttar would be fifth choice and cost a fee. I would prefer it if we tried to sign a right wing-back.

Pratt isn't ready for first team football with us. And wouldnt be 5th choice cos we already 5 players in front of him like Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton,.Carter and Philips 

How is Souttar costing a fee when he is signing on free. All you are paying for is wages and signing on fee for a Scottish International player. 

We might need a right wing back for next season if Nyambe leaves

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pratt isn't ready for first team football with us. And wouldnt be 5th choice cos we already 5 players in front of him like Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton,.Carter and Philips 

How is Souttar costing a fee when he is signing on free. All you are paying for is wages and signing on fee for a Scottish International player. 

We might need a right wing back for next season if Nyambe leaves

But the original post was on the premice that  Souttar would be signed if Lenihan left. Therefore Pratt or Souttar would be fifth choice. In my opinion we need a starting right wing-back whether Nyambe leaves or stays.

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

But the original post was on the premice that  Souttar would be signed if Lenihan left. Therefore Pratt or Souttar would be fifth choice. In my opinion we need a starting right wing-back whether Nyambe leaves or stays.

Absolutely, right back is the obvious area in our team that needs addressing if Nyambe stays or not.

He does well for us, and he’s one of our own so we like that, but the fact is if he played for any other side in the league no one would take any notice of him.

7 minutes ago, rigger said:

Souttar would be coming here as starter not a 5th choice. He is Scottish International player. If he does replace Lenihan then Pratt would be 6th choice with Souttar/Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton, Carter and Philips all ahead of Pratt. 

I'm sure we are looking at right wing backs for next season. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

If we go up we would have to be signing a more proven at that level defender.

If Souttar or Hedges are coming in this window fair enough to play a part   but if promoted to the Premier we will surely be looking at better quality.If they were premier league quality now then it would be those teams trying to sign them now

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

you can still play 3 at the back and play possession football. 

But I don't think we have the squad to play 3 at the back given the injuries, squad options in midfield and attacks, etc

That's not the point. The point is that for the past 3 seasons we have consistently scored far more points when we don't have the most possession. It doesn't suit our personnel or our manager to try to dominate possession. Changing from that has been a key ingredient in our upturn in form.

The change to a back 3/5 (that actually works this time) has been a factor in our recent form and is really working now, but we were already doing better than we have in most seasons before that change.

8 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Wherever we are next year it is highly likely that we will only be signing players from the lower leagues or possibly Scotland. We won't have the budget for top players and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we got promoted and there was absolutely no investment in the squad. 

Disagree, though not entirely. But not like we're going to shop top drawer if we go up. I'd anticipate we just elevate our current model and buy some of the better players from the Championship instead of from League One. Probably one or two from Scotland though, yeh, just at the higher end of quality from there. And probably one or two out of contract Premiership players.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Is this Souttar the one that's been out with 3 long term injuries the last 3 years and was in hearts relegation side...?

@JoeH can we have an opinion?

“Relegation side” is a bit naive. Look into the details of that. It’s a moot point with little relevance to the players ability when you factor in all the context.

Injuries I can’t tell you much, I don’t know the player *that* well but I’ve seen him play a lot this season and he’s more than good enough for the Championship.

Edited by JoeH

3 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Absolutely, right back is the obvious area in our team that needs addressing if Nyambe stays or not.

He does well for us, and he’s one of our own so we like that, but the fact is if he played for any other side in the league no one would take any notice of him.

Not a fact whatsoever. In fact it's just wrong as I've seen fans of other teams take notice of him in the past. Not in his best form this season though, granted.

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Is this Souttar the one that's been out with 3 long term injuries the last 3 years and was in hearts relegation side...?

@JoeH can we have an opinion?

He seems incredibly injury prone. And his injuries keep him out for months at a time.

January 2017 - Ruptured Achilles tendon - out for the rest of the season 

2018 - Hip injury - 5 months out 

2019/2020 season - Ankle injury - missed most of the season 

Feb 2020 - torn Achilles (other leg) - 6 months out

August 2020 - snaps same Achilles - unknown length of time - assuming most of the season as he only made 5 apps.

• Like 4

back in the day, when i used to pay attention to scottish football, souttar was very much one to watch. he was part of that insanely talented young dundee united side filled with prospects. he was in a buzz group alongside the likes of ryan gauld, andy robertson, stuart armstrong and gary mackay-steven. they all had magnificent potential, and obviously that resulted in a lot of media hype and pressure; gauld being dubbed the "scottish messi" &c. &c.

they all eventually went their different ways to mixed results, from robertson and armstrong in the prem with liverpool and southampton respectively, to mackay-steven in the mls, and gauld in portugal. if he can be even an ounce of the player those in that squad were hoped to be, this would be a fantastic investment imo. believe it or not, andy robertson was never seen as the brightest of that bunch, despite the huge career he's gone on to have.

souttar's been held back by his injuries and was taken over by his younger brother harry, but john was always the bigger prospect of the two iirc. i'd love him to come here to be polished up and given the step up to the next level.

i can't say a thing about him in recent years though however, i've barely paid any attention to the game north of the border for a good while now.

just a bit of context for those unaware 👍

Edited by nbdelboy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, davulsukur said:

He seems incredibly injury prone. And his injuries keep him out for months at a time.

January 2017 - Ruptured Achilles tendon - out for the rest of the season 

2018 - Hip injury - 5 months out 

2019/2020 season - Ankle injury - missed most of the season 

Feb 2020 - torn Achilles (other leg) - 6 months out

August 2020 - snaps same Achilles - unknown length of time - assuming most of the season as he only made 5 apps.

Avoid.

We aren't in a situation we need to take gambles on these types it makes 100% far more sense to keep what we have instead.

• Like 4