BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

9 hours ago, JBiz said:

Again - if simply suggesting certain comments and reactions impacted his performance is “blaming fans”…! 

Ridiculous, not what anyone said.

7m a lot at the time?

I don’t know which time you’re talking about? For us a lot, but no reason to write someone off after half a dozen fleeting appearances.

He justified his own purchase in the end, hence why certain players are signed for potential.

I expected more but I didn’t get a chance to fully see him compete for 12/18 months due to appearances.

I don’t think anyone even got close to mentioning what the expectation was - this entire tangent all came from one sentence about certain comments / reactions not helping his (and Sam Gallagher’s) confidence - why this is such a touchy subject is beyond me.

Comparison with someone who made the Liverpool first team at 20? Bit different, considering he’d probably cost any team in a position to buy him, at least twice what BB cost.

We weren’t /aren’t the sort of club that can afford to spend £7 Million on “ potential “. We play in the here and now. Not many clubs outside the Prem big six are able to gamble that sort of money on a hunch. If we sell Brererton now and then fail to get promoted how has this “ potential “ advanced the club ?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/11/liverpool-to-pay-fulham-record-fee-for-harvey-elliott-after-tribunal-ruling

1.2 mill initially, rising up to 4.3 mill eventually, potentially.

Although as it was a tribunal fee and Fulham were hoping for about 10 million, comparing his price to Brereton's is pointless.

Its kind of proved my point that BB was rated higher value wise and it wasn't surprising fans were disappointed with what they saw.

Not that it matters now.

2 hours ago, neophox said:

Conor McBrides move to Crewe may be a good one. If he does well and scores alot of goals for Crewe that would be very beneficial.

Will be interesting to see how he get on there. Haven't been able to replicate the same for the U23 this year, so a change of scenery could do him good as well. Crewe should be a good match considering they play decent football and their youth policy.

Edited by briansol

23 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Its kind of proved my point that BB was rated higher value wise and it wasn't surprising fans were disappointed with what they saw.

Not that it matters now.

Isn't 7m our record buy? It was like City spending 110m on a kid who had done OK to date but with the intent of developing him. Can you imagine how they would react?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, briansol said:

Will be interesting to see how he get on there. Haven't been able to replicate the same for the U23 this year, so a change of scenery could do him good as well. Crewe should be a good match considering they play decent football and handling of young players.

Oh matron. 

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Isn't 7m our record buy? It was like City spending 110m on a kid who had done OK to date but with the intent of developing him. Can you imagine how they would react?

Cole and Rhodes - 8 million a piece i think.

It was more in the Cicco Grabbi 6.75 million range i think, which was worrying at the time.

Big credit to the lad for turning it around ( especially for someone so undone by mythical abuse ).  Maybe big Ben was actually just a little bit peeved at himself knowing be could do better than he was showing.

Now he is and he looks very happy as are the fans because we finally have a c7 million quid player.

I will watch Clarkson's career with interest. Like Poveda, he was thrown into a unstable team without a coherent formation and didn't greatly impress. He was, I think, playing the AM role in 433, which is I suspect, very new.

However, I thought that he could've got minutes off the bench to show his ability, later on, as Poveda did. However, if Mowbray doesn't rate him, it makes sense for all for him to go back to Liverpool - especially as there was possibly an obligation to have him in the matchday squad when fit.

Edited by riverholmes

7 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

I will watch Clarkson's career with interest. Like Poveda, he was thrown into a unstable team without a coherent formation and didn't greatly impress. He was, I think, playing the AM role in 433, which is I suspect, very new.

However, I thought that he could've got minutes off the bench to show his ability, later on, as Poveda did. However, if Mowbray doesn't rate him, it makes sense for all for him to go back to Liverpool - especially as there was possibly an obligation to have him in the matchday squad when fit.

I got the impression they were hoping he’d be back up/replacement for Buckley if he was struggling. Obviously that hasn’t been the case.

13 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Think he was experiencing some of the same issues as Buckley regarding the physical transition from U23 to senior football. Has great quality and will surely have a good career. His loan probably came a year too soon for both parties to have the impact hoped for. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Cole and Rhodes - 8 million a piece i think.

It was more in the Cicco Grabbi 6.75 million range i think, which was worrying at the time.

Big credit to the lad for turning it around ( especially for someone so undone by mythical abuse ).  Maybe big Ben was actually just a little bit peeved at himself knowing be could do better than he was showing.

Now he is and he looks very happy as are the fans because we finally have a c7 million quid player.

I agree and thanks, but given the fee and the time taken to come good, I'm not surprised that there were rumblings towards BB.  

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

Brown was in the PFAI team of the year in Ireland, for Div One, in 2020 and then the same for the Premier Division in 2021. Clearly, a lesser standard and he is 23, which means he's hardly a youth player, but it could be promising signing.

5 hours ago, neophox said:

Conor McBrides move to Crewe may be a good one. If he does well and scores alot of goals for Crewe that would be very beneficial.

Will be interesting how McBride and Burns do for these loan clubs.

2 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Think if you look at Mowbray's comments on Clarkson, he clearly rate him but with the form of Travis, Rothwell and Buckley have meant that Clarkson can't get minutes he wants here. I really hope he has a good career and gets another loan move this month where he will play

For those discussing fans getting on Breretons back affecting him, do you remember his initial upturn in form began immediately the behind closed doors games started.  Coincidence ir was he affected by the moans and groans.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, USABlue said:

For those discussing fans getting on Breretons back affecting him, do you remember his initial upturn in form began immediately the behind closed doors games started.  Coincidence ir was he affected by the moans and groans.

His initial upturn in form wasn't as world beating as some remember. The real change was when he became his alter ego Diaz, South American sensation and Chilean God of football.

22 minutes ago, booth said:

His initial upturn in form wasn't as world beating as some remember. The real change was when he became his alter ego Diaz, South American sensation and Chilean God of football.

Nobody has called it world beating. But he went from being pretty much useless to being a useful player, and that was a significant improvement.

I'm quite sure I'm on record that I expected 10-15 goals this season from him even if he played wide. Which is a 10 to 15 fold increase on what we got from him in his first two seasons. Of course, what has happened since, nobody expected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Will be interesting how McBride and Burns do for these loan clubs.

Think if you look at Mowbray's comments on Clarkson, he clearly rate him but with the form of Travis, Rothwell and Buckley have meant that Clarkson can't get minutes he wants here. I really hope he has a good career and gets another loan move this month where he will play

As soon as Clarkson leaves the Rovers, I don't give a damn what he does.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I also think that if Mowbray actually thought that Clarkson was a bit crap, will never make it even at Championship and it was a waste of time signing him, Mowbray wouldn't say as such in the media! Of course he will say positive stuff in the press, standard fare.

If he thought he was crap, he wouldn't talk about him in quite those glowing terms though. He would have just said he's a good player, didn't quite happen for him, thanks for your work. That's the usual fare in a situation like this. He has been far more complimentary than that.

Doesn't matter, not our player, never was. Wish him well as he's a Rovers fan and a shame it didn't work out, but that's life.