BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

And when it doesn’t can we all laugh at you ?😅 you know as well as I and others that he isn’t good enough to play for Leeds and is not going to knock anyone out of their starting 11 let alone get into an 18 man squad

You're welcome to laugh at me if you want and now if he makes a match day squad in the Prem, then I will laugh in return.  He's doing a sterling job for us this season, you should get behind the whole team, from top to toe, whether you rate them or not.  I'm only saying that as that's exactly what you are asking us all to do in regards the club, but because he's better than people think. 

JRC may be better on the attack, but he doesn't get close to Nyambe defensively.  We are scoring goals fine these days, but we need to maintain our resolute defence to stay in the top 2. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Surely the £10m that Everton have just paid Rangers for the young Scottish lad which be a much fairer reflection of Nyambe's true value had we not mishandled his contractual situation.

I mentioned this. That fee seems exorbitant, especially considering his inexperience, he's a squad player and the league isn't that great. It certainly suggests a crazy market where Nayambe should go for more than a couple of million. 

47 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I doubt Rhino or Rothwell will be going anywhere in January. Darragh at his age, also needs to realise where the grass is greenest!

I dunno. I'm not sure if our league position is a plus or a minus for keeping them. Obviously it's a plus for the players seeing a future here, but it's a minus in the sense that we, and the players who have made this run possible, will have attracted more attention. There could be a few clubs who can pay better wages than us who spy the opportunity for a bargain.

I suspect we will be safe from the predations of anyone in the Championship, as wage offerings won't be orders of magnitude higher, and we will probably hold out for a lot more from anyone who is a potential promotion rival (probably the only clubs who could tempt the players). Slimmish chance one of the parachute clubs goes a bit beyond in order to try to derail us (and add to their own options of course), but I don't see too much risk of this.

The danger to me seems to be that a Prem club might want a squad filler on the cheap, who if they're lucky might be able to step up to be a bit more. We can say what we want about the grass not being greener, but even squad Prem wages blow us out of the water. We know footballers often follow the money, especially when agents are leading them as seems to be the case here. Lenihan at his age as you say, would probably actually be best advised to take a 4 year deal on far better money than we can offer. Might be the last big deal he is on for. IMO it's the youngest, Nyambe, who should think more carefully about his next move than just what money is on offer.

Hopefully, they haven't impressed any Prem sides enough to think they're the best options they have within their budgets.

Gotta say, if we don't go up, it's going to be a bit of a disaster if these lads don't sign on. We will probably need to then sell BBD to be able to replace them all adequately. We can probably stand to lose one in the summer, but two or more would be a real problem. It's not like last summer when most of the departures were has-beens or not-quites.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I dunno. I'm not sure if our league position is a plus or a minus for keeping them. Obviously it's a plus for the players seeing a future here, but it's a minus in the sense that we, and the players who have made this run possible, will have attracted more attention. There could be a few clubs who can pay better wages than us who spy the opportunity for a bargain.

I suspect we will be safe from the predations of anyone in the Championship, as wage offerings won't be orders of magnitude higher, and we will probably hold out for a lot more from anyone who is a potential promotion rival (probably the only clubs who could tempt the players). Slimmish chance one of the parachute clubs goes a bit beyond in order to try to derail us (and add to their own options of course), but I don't see too much risk of this.

The danger to me seems to be that a Prem club might want a squad filler on the cheap, who if they're lucky might be able to step up to be a bit more. We can say what we want about the grass not being greener, but even squad Prem wages blow us out of the water. We know footballers often follow the money, especially when agents are leading them as seems to be the case here. Lenihan at his age as you say, would probably actually be best advised to take a 4 year deal on far better money than we can offer. Might be the last big deal he is on for. IMO it's the youngest, Nyambe, who should think more carefully about his next move than just what money is on offer.

Hopefully, they haven't impressed any Prem sides enough to think they're the best options they have within their budgets.

Gotta say, if we don't go up, it's going to be a bit of a disaster if these lads don't sign on. We will probably need to then sell BBD to be able to replace them all adequately. We can probably stand to lose one in the summer, but two or more would be a real problem. It's not like last summer when most of the departures were has-beens or not-quites.

I don't disagree at all with anything, in fact we're both singing from the same hymn sheet.

Other than, if we don't go up, it will be bloody disappointing but not necessarily a disaster!

What generally gets missed is the ongoing contract situation regarding our young lads, most who haven't even featured yet in the first team but there's at least a dozen of our under 20s that are coveted by Premier League Clubs....they need signing up to decent and realistic deals.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I don't disagree at all with anything, in fact we're both singing from the same hymn sheet.

Other than, if we don't go up, it will be bloody disappointing but not necessarily a disaster!

What generally gets missed is the ongoing contract situation regarding our young lads, most who haven't even featured yet in the first team but there's at least a dozen of our under 20s that are coveted by Premier League Clubs....they need signing up to decent and realistic deals.

No what I meant was, if we don't go up AND these lads all leave on frees, that's a potential disaster. We don't appear to have the budget to replace them all adequately at once without sales and the squad is already a little thin, especially when our loanees go back.

Not sure about this dozen u20 players coveted by Prem clubs, first I'm hearing about it, but I absolutely agree we need all of our promising youngsters on long deals. I've never understood why it isn't done as standard given the finances involved. Lengthy deals when a player is early in their career are much cheaper than when they break through a year or two later. Some won't make it but again the loss isn't that big in the grand scheme and you at least have a u23 squad that can afford to spare sending players on loan.

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I've no worries, if that means owt!

Keep the faith and never ever forget, WE ARE The Rovers!!!

13 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Unfortunately faith is in something of a short supply these days.

Yep, I get that totally.

I decided 12 months ago that rather than sit, moan and mope, I'd rather get off my arse and try to do something positive for the club that we all love.

It's work in progress......

• Like 3

7 hours ago, slowmo said:

From what I saw/ remember of JRC,  I like him and he can produce a moment of quality. 

TM said right back wasn't his final position and could see him playing further forward in future. 

He seems to have had the same goals / assists numbers as Nyambe, during his break through period before this injury. 

Though JRC needed just half the games to reach the same total as RN .

I just think he has potential and now needs some luck with injuries to see what he can/ can't do before being dismissed .

He’ll be the best wing back at the club IF he can stay fit. Perfect position for him really and he’s shown to me that he has much more ability than Nyambe or Pickering. His fitness is the only real concern. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

Yep, I get that totally.

I decided 12 months ago that rather than sit, moan and mope, I'd rather get off my arse and try to do something positive for the club that we all love.

Amen to this!!

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I think it is virtually certain that we will sell BBD in the summer if we don't go up anyway. As with Armstrong I doubt it will be anywhere near the £25m plus we are currently talking about.

Nyambe won't be that easy to replace, as someone else pointed out, you'll have to find a better player for a combined lower transfer fee and wage than it'd cost to give Nyambe what he's wanting- good luck with that one.. There's also this myth good rightbacks are easy to come about- they're not.

Give these lads the contracts they deserve unless you can replace them with better players for less than the cost of their contracts.

• Like 6

I suspect there are no real funds to play with unless some are created so TM and co fancy a few mill from Nyambe. Probably replace him with a loan or free and maybe put the rest towards an improved deal for another of our lads ?

At least that might be the company line trotted out.

Edited by tomphil

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Yep, I get that totally.

So you're the one responsible for our current form 👍

I must say it is nice to be exited for a change.

Those saying Nyambe couldnt cut it in the PL are the same as those saying the same thing about Raya. The latter has done very well there and its a shame he has picked up this injury.

I think Nyambe would make a very able (stand-in to begin with) defensive fullback in the PL.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Those saying Nyambe couldnt cut it in the PL are the same as those saying the same thing about Raya. The latter has done very well there and its a shame he has picked up this injury.

I think Nyambe would make a very able (stand-in to begin with) defensive fullback in the PL.  

With the right coaching I agree with you. He’s stood still at Rovers.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

With the right coaching I agree with you. He’s stood still at Rovers.

Nyambe would play in Premiership not doubt, especially if his main responsibility is not bombing down the wing and cross.

He has not stood still at all. His positioning and heading have improved dramaticly. Timing and decision making as well.

His offensive progress has not been as good though. Blaming coaching is a cheap shot.

Not sure how many world-class coaches who would be able to turn a 19-year old, who have relied on his physical attributes into a modern-day Cafu. It's a bit late in the game to make up for the Techincal ability and awareness needed. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, briansol said:

Not sure how many world-class coaches who would be able to turn a 19-year old, who have relied on his physical attributes into a modern-day Cafu. It's a bit late in the game to make up for the Techincal ability and awareness needed. 

Ye but they should go through his final ball when he gets to the byline....that's the bit that needs work......just a plan would be good

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, briansol said:

Nyambe would play in Premiership not doubt, especially if his main responsibility is not bombing down the wing and cross.

He has not stood still at all. His positioning and heading have improved dramaticly. Timing and decision making as well.

His offensive progress has not been as good though. Blaming coaching is a cheap shot.

Hes been getting too much grief because hes been expected to perform like the finished article, like a Prem standard wing back grinding away in the championship.

He is a decent player who has improved since he broke through but his role has changed in that time. In terms of end product he's still lacking but i'd prefer him to be a good defender over a good deliverer. Similar things about end product have been aimed at Rothwell until this season when its just clicked.

King was largely pants with his end game...until he stepped up a level in a better team.

People need to give over writing off Nyambe it's clear for over 18 months him and the manager don't seem keen on one another for some reason. I doubt it's personal either it's just what they expect of each other on the pitch.  It looks inevitable he'll leave for whatever reason but hopefully it's in summer and we have a decent 2nd half of the season out of him.

Getting a few million for him now is unlikely to make much difference to the team at the min in terms of replacement.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ye but they should go through his final ball when he gets to the byline....that's the bit that needs work......just a plan would be good

I don't really take a view one way or another about how much of this is down to the coaching, but I agree that this is an important point with Nyambe. We often talk about how he isn't good enough going forward, when what we actually mean that his final ball isn't good enough. He travels with the ball very well, and is decent enough at keeping the ball in possession and providing an out=ball going forward.

He wouldn't do at all for teams who are relying on their full backs to rack up a decent number of goals/assists, but he can still contribute plenty in an attacking sense for teams who don't see their full backs as one of their main sources for creating chances. 

• Like 1