BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Deadline Day 2022

15 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I also do know though, how hard everyone at the club tried to get a couple more over the line in time, that ultimately didn't come off....that's life sadly.

Any idea which positions those couple would have covered?

1 minute ago, darrenrover said:

I wouldn't have thought I'd have any need to Paul tbh.

Without going in to detail, which I'm not prepared to do, can you not see a distinct difference in both how the club is being managed in general and results on the field, right the way through the club from first team to juniors?

It's not by accident!

I can and many I’ve spoken to a few colleagues and friends who are now rather envious of the youth based model we are using.

It will upset a few but I think we’ve turned a bit of a corner in general. Fingers crossed this continues!

The manager (who I would’ve replaced in the summer) has given more debuts to youth players than any manager in our history…

Serious question, IF Tony got us up AND kept us up could he be considered our greatest manager EVER? When you look in context at what he inherited in terms of players and culture and what his net spend has been…you’d be hard pushed not to give that consideration…

I mean, if he got us up to the PL he’d have to make our top 3 best managers EVER, right?

Would we end up telling our grandkids the story of woe and how Lemon drizzle Tony took us to the promise land!!? I’ll leave you with that one 😊

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Serious question, IF Tony got us up AND kept us up could he be considered our greatest manager EVER? When you look in context at what he inherited in terms of players and culture and what his net spend has been…you’d be hard pushed not to give that consideration…

I mean, if he got us up to the PL he’d have to make our top 3 best managers EVER, right?

Would we end up telling our grandkids the story of woe and how Lemon drizzle Tony took us to the promise land!!? I’ll leave you with that one 😊

(Not biting)

No. 

If we don't get promoted and he leaves us having burnt through more money in support from the owners than any other Rovers manager in history to no avail  and with more than half of the first team walking out for nothino he'd have to be considered one of the worst all things considered though!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Players that work their socks off and share goals. Remember Germany being the best team in the world with a midfielder upfront. 

Well we do need other players to step up when Brereton doesn't. The work ethic is there.

17 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

(Not biting)

No. 

If we don't get promoted and he leaves us having burnt through more money in support from the owners than any other Rovers manager in history to no avail  and with more than half of the first team walking out for nothino he'd have to be considered one of the worst all things considered though!

He really wouldnt. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Yep, I know and get that Gav, as you already knew.

I also do know though, how hard everyone at the club tried to get a couple more over the line in time, that ultimately didn't come off....that's life sadly.

As you eluded to, as a club BRFC, are far removed in 2022, from the one 2011 to 2020 and hopefully, Onwards and Upwards!

Yet the player himself is on record saying he doesn't see his future at wing back?

We  will see but I 100% believe that Costello's future won't be in that position.

5 hours ago, booth said:

For those that think we'll be okay if Brereton is absent for a period of time, turn away from your tv screens now.

287866779_Screenshot2022-02-01at14_01_18.thumb.png.644778617257815b079a69f680a6bf82.png

Thing is, that table could be overlaid on last season, only with AA ahead of BBD (or BB as he was then!), and SG below them.

This season, BBD has taken AA's place, albeit to most people's surprise. If BBD gets injured, any one if SG, Khadra, Hedges or even Dack could cover him.

Take Mitrovic's 30 goals off Fulham, Solanke's off Bournemouth or Grabban's off Forest and they're in a similar position.

Yes another goalscorer would've been great, but they don't grow on trees & I'm not convinced Maja or Healy or Dembele would've been the answer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, booth said:

Being second is wonderful, promotion would be dreamland but after the 11 years of absolute shit, it’s a disappointment that we couldn’t have given more of a final push. I just can’t see us getting back to this point again if we fluff it and with the inevitable player outgoings come summer.

Above all else the most important thing is getting the club back on a decent financial footing. Promotion would solve so many issues even if we came straight back down.

We've got to protect the downside here as well. I think Fulham are out of reach, and Bournemouth have just outspent almost the rest of the division combined, so how could we possibly compete with that? QPR look a dangerous side now, but I think we can beat any team in this division. Mowbray has more options now, he can play the same system with more defensively sound players or he can choose to go gung-ho. What worries me about that is when he's had a larger squad to deal with prior, he's had a tendency to overthink things and make some odd choices like always letting Bennett play. 

Let's see where we are in a month's time when we've faced Swansea (good match for us), Forest (improved since our first encounter), WBA (good match for us), Millwall, Sheffield United and QPR. 

Hopefully come April 30 we can celebrate automatic promotion at Ewood Park after beating Bournemouth!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

I wouldn't have thought I'd have any need to Paul tbh.

Without going in to detail, which I'm not prepared to do, can you not see a distinct difference in both how the club is being managed in general and results on the field, right the way through the club from first team to juniors?

It's not by accident!

It was a genuine question.  On field, obviously we have improved beyond recognition.  Why, I'm not too sure about, but post the Fulham debacle, no-one can have any complaints.  Off the pitch I see the work done with the Asian communities as being ground-breaking.  But what else is going on?  

2 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Thing is, that table could be overlaid on last season, only with AA ahead of BBD (or BB as he was then!), and SG below them.

This season, BBD has taken AA's place, albeit to most people's surprise. If BBD gets injured, any one if SG, Khadra, Hedges or even Dack could cover him.

Take Mitrovic's 30 goals off Fulham, Solanke's off Bournemouth or Grabban's off Forest and they're in a similar position.

Yes another goalscorer would've been great, but they don't grow on trees & I'm not convinced Maja or Healy or Dembele would've been the answer.

Comparing us to Bournemouth and Fulham doesn't really work. As well as having a prolific striker they do have others chipping in to a greater extent than our supporting forwards. Fulham are out of sight. They also have players providing much more assists than us. I think it speaks volumes for Brereton's finishing this season that he's managed to get 20 goals with less support than Mitrovic and Solanke (on paper).

I don't think anyone was asking for a 30 goal a season player, just a bit of strengthening in that area. Butterworth has gone and Gallagher looks a passenger in most games.

It sounds like Mowbray was trying to sign someone, I imagine that's why they let Butterworth go on loan. Maybe we'll see a free agent come in.

Approaching 55 last nights footballing performance reminded me that in this Rovers team where chances are created even me with 2 knackered knees could score goals 😀you never ever forget where the onion bag is and on that basis I would make myself available if BBD gets injured I wouldn’t want paying it would be a dream to put on that shirt however a nice pie with a lager or maybe a chicken biryani as an alternative would do the trick 😅👍😅

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yet the player himself is on record saying he doesn't see his future at wing back?

We  will see but I 100% believe that Costello's future won't be in that position.

Injuries will decide JRC future career.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

It was a genuine question.  On field, obviously we have improved beyond recognition.  Why, I'm not too sure about, but post the Fulham debacle, no-one can have any complaints.  Off the pitch I see the work done with the Asian communities as being ground-breaking.  But what else is going on?  

Things are improving generally.

• Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

Rankin Costello when asked said he is happy to play anywhere for the team but said his preference is to play midfield or Winger.

I don't believe going forward he will be used as FB/Wb

I don't disagree with you but can't understand why you referenced me? I've never mentioned JRC.

18 minutes ago, booth said:

Comparing us to Bournemouth and Fulham doesn't really work. As well as having a prolific striker they do have others chipping in to a greater extent than our supporting forwards. Fulham are out of sight. They also have players providing much more assists than us. I think it speaks volumes for Brereton's finishing this season that he's managed to get 20 goals with less support than Mitrovic and Solanke (on paper).

I don't think anyone was asking for a 30 goal a season player, just a bit of strengthening in that area. Butterworth has gone and Gallagher looks a passenger in most games.

It sounds like Mowbray was trying to sign someone, I imagine that's why they let Butterworth go on loan. Maybe we'll see a free agent come in.

The other thing they have is🪂💷

10 minutes ago, booth said:

Fulham are clearly streets ahead in an attacking sense, but the point re Bournemouth stands up so why shouldn't we compare ourselves with them? We've scored one more goal than them (ergo also got 1 more assist), and only Billings is in the top scorers chart for them besides Solanke, but he's only got one more goal than Gally has in twice as many games.

I have more faith than most in Gally, and believe his stats back that up.

My main fear re Bournemouth now is Keifer Moore; I think he could easily score 12-15 goals in the remainder of the season in a side that plays long ball & puts good crosses in, but then again that's not Bournemouth's style. They prefer to play on the floor and I can't see how Solanke & Moore can play together in either system  so it's either one or t'other most games.

• Like 2

Glen and JHrover –thanks again for useful posts.

Sorry, this is a bit late and I realise the discussion has moved on but I’ve only just managed to get to this thread now.

Thank you one and all for some fascinating psychology and entertainment on the Rothwell thread and this one.

As Bankend rover said….

haha maddness...It seems like the only fools here are us posters.

Indeed. As I said, a lot of hot air. 😃

So have the fleckle-spitted, vein-popping, 70s pub player neandertals taken their blood pressure tabs –all that wasted anger. I wonder if they will boo Joe if he appears. (Oh no, just abuse his partner on social media.) Presumably, all will be sweetness and light with some Mogga spin and the Rothwell effigies cast aside.

Do they still want our Trav to lay one on Joe or break his leg? Or perhaps just leave him to get on with helping us get promotion? Incidentally, the idea of Trav as hard man is laughable. Really? Just a thick gob wind up merchant. Most amusing watching him strut around the pitch on match day offering his ‘wisdom’ to fellow players. (And for the record, bear in mind that I think Travis is at times the kind of essential water carrier that all teams and us need.)

On another tack, I’ve thought for a while that Ben’s goal spree won’t continue. Angered my wife by suggesting he won’t get more than 8 league goals next half. Seriously hope I’m wrong.

Rothwell has been improved by Mowbray. Really? Yes he was plucked from the bench from Oxford (well done) but do you really think Mogga can improve the skills of a player? Any player? Teach him all he knows about being an old time defender?

We have overachieved thus far. I have no confidence that Mogga has planned this. Stumbled upon it maybe. Still, gotta enjoy it while it lasts. Go on, I’ll do a Jim –not a relegation thread but midtable mediocrity again. Tony to be thanked and potted. Prove me wrong lads. 😃

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Fulham are clearly streets ahead in an attacking sense, but the point re Bournemouth stands up so why shouldn't we compare ourselves with them? We've scored one more goal than them (ergo also got 1 more assist), and only Billings is in the top scorers chart for them besides Solanke, but he's only got one more goal than Gally has in twice as many games.

I have more faith than most in Gally, and believe his stats back that up.

My main fear re Bournemouth now is Keifer Moore; I think he could easily score 12-15 goals in the remainder of the season in a side that plays long ball & puts good crosses in, but then again that's not Bournemouth's style. They prefer to play on the floor and I can't see how Solanke & Moore can play together in either system  so it's either one or t'other most games.

I just hope Scott Parker manages to manifest all of his terrible football management while Rovers quietly pick up points, and hopefully someone - Khadra or otherwise, manages to pop up as the goalscorer for the remainder of the season as we surely can't rely on another 20 goals from BBD. I'll take the play offs but I won't enjoy them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I can and many I’ve spoken to a few colleagues and friends who are now rather envious of the youth based model we are using.

It will upset a few but I think we’ve turned a bit of a corner in general. Fingers crossed this continues!

The manager (who I would’ve replaced in the summer) has given more debuts to youth players than any manager in our history…

Definitely one of the best. Horses for courses though.

Could Mowbray have handled Jack's millions and been a draw for Shearer / Sutton etc to sign? Could Dalglish have worked for the Venkys within FFP?

• Like 1