BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (h) - Saturday 19th February

11 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Then why did the ref say game on at 1230pm??

Perhaps at that point he thought we could adequately clear the pitch of snow and not (judging by the photos) have 4-6 people prodding away at it?

Looks like there was snow on some parts of the pitch and not others from the most recent pics.

Don't understand why there would have been any snow on the pitch at all if the undersoil heating had been switched on/working.

Edit: It looks to me like due to cost cutting we've done the bare minimum possible to try and get the game on and not quite got away with it. Of course the Club are going to try and save face and blame the ref but what investment does he have in seeing a game called off if not necessary?

Edited by RevidgeBlue

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Perhaps at that point he thought we could adequately clear the pitch of snow and not (judging by the photos) have 4-6 people prodding away at it?

Looks like there was snow on some parts of the pitch and not others from the most recent pics.

Don't understand why there would have been any snow on the pitch at all if the undersoil heating had been switched on/working.

Why not delay the game?The weather was improving.

For Waggott to come out and say they felt the game should have gone ahead the pitch can't have been any worse than it was V Preston?Even Huddersfield 

Undersoil heating doesn’t melt the snow it merely prevents the pitch from freezing. Anyone who thinks there is anything untoward other than the ref deeming it unfit for play is way off the mark in the current woke down climate  ! Back in the days of old I’ve played on may pitches that these modern day ballers wouldn’t even walk in let alone try and play - Sunday football in 5 inch of ice and snow was the norm in Chorley leagues especially at brinscall

What a ridiculous decision by another centre of attention referee.   I was at Ewood Park when the game was called off. The pitch and the surrounding area was clear and the roads around the stadium was clear. Spoke to Ben Benson, Rovers GK coach who said both set of players and managers wanted to play the game. Plus now it is sun shining now when the game should be played.

5 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

From what I’ve read, the ref called the game off as he was concerned about player safety. If that’s the reason, why didn’t he consult with the two managers and if both were happy for the game to go ahead then do so, especially with lots of fans already in the ground. 

Ben Benson, said both set of managers and players wanting to play the game. Its now sun shining now. We should be playing the game right now

• Like 1

Had just got in ground and popped up to check the pitch. Looked fine from my vantage point but melting snow has probably waterlogged it. 

This is why I asked the initial question and I was very surprised by the confidence of others. I just couldn't understand where it came from. The top surface this year looks fine but lack of investment is obviously the reason the pitch doesn't drain properly. The groundsmen do an excellent job  not on them at all. We've had similar in past due to no maintenance work on under soul heating. Now it's due to ignoring drainage. Any amount of rain/snow and the game is now in question.

20220219_141653.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Due to our pitch 

I will ask again. Does the fourth official have an input to the decission making. If both officials come to an agreement that the pitch is dangerous, I would be more inclined to believe them. A media interview to explain the decission of the ref would be nice

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

What a ridiculous decision by another centre of attention referee.   I was at Ewood Park when the game was called off. The pitch and the surrounding area was clear and the roads around the stadium was clear. Spoke to Ben Benson, Rovers GK coach who said both set of players and managers wanted to play the game. Plus now it is sun shining now when the game should be played.

Ben Benson, said both set of managers and players wanting to play the game. Its now sun shining now. We should be playing the game right now

You literally tweeted pictures showing the pitch wasn’t fully clear though, I’m amazed they didn’t have it clear in time to be honest 

Granted it would have been playable by now 

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

You literally tweeted pictures showing the pitch wasn’t fully clear though, I’m amazed they didn’t have it clear in time to be honest 

Surely the sensible decision by the ref would have been to delay the kick off time?

If the players and managers were happy with it but the ref had doubts he should have given it a bit more time instead of both clubs and their fans having to rearrange their time to make the game whenever the fixture now takes place 

1 minute ago, rigger said:

I will ask again. Does the fourth official have an input to the decission making. If both officials come to an agreement that the pitch is dangerous, I would be more inclined to believe them. A media interview to explain the decission of the ref would be nice

The refs explaining their decisions to Supporters and the media will never happened in the current climate. Its time we got ex pro's and players who fall out of the game to become Referees. 

The pitch against Preston was much worst. but yet that was on. 

4 minutes ago, speedies gonna get ya. said:

Had just got in ground and popped up to check the pitch. Looked fine from my vantage point but melting snow has probably waterlogged it. 

This is why I asked the initial question and I was very surprised by the confidence of others. I just couldn't understand where it came from. The top surface this year looks fine but lack of investment is obviously the reason the pitch doesn't drain properly. The groundsmen do an excellent job  not on them at all. We've had similar in past due to no maintenance work on under soul heating. Now it's due to ignoring drainage. Any amount of rain/snow and the game is now in question.

The game was more than playable. Plus its sun shining currently. The Rovers ground staff said the pitch was very playable today. 

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

The match had been called off at that point Tom, I think they stopped clearing it to be honest. It’s not been called off due to a covering of snow.

Edited by Gav

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Tom, the pitch would have been cleared by kick off and given the current weather of bright sun shine. 

The game should be played instead of being cancel. 

Why not start then game and if it become unplayable then but is that pitch any worse than our home game against PNE? No chance but thats game was played. 

7 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Undersoil heating doesn’t melt the snow it merely prevents the pitch from freezing. Anyone who thinks there is anything untoward other than the ref deeming it unfit for play is way off the mark in the current woke down climate  ! Back in the days of old I’ve played on may pitches that these modern day ballers wouldn’t even walk in let alone try and play - Sunday football in 5 inch of ice and snow was the norm in Chorley leagues especially at brinscall

Put a cover on the pitch then! No excuses!

(If it was up to me I'd also play on a pitch like Luton 1976 when Killer Keeley nearly broke Fuccillo's neck but standards are different now obviously)

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

Spot on. Seemingly not enough people attempting to clear it.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Put a cover on the pitch then! No excuses!

Do you think these owners will pay for a cover? Or under soil heating to be turned on?

Sorry, couldn’t resist Rev 😉

Edited by Gav

25 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Anyone blaming the referee is missing the point by a Country mile I think. Like a dodgy tackle in the penalty area, don't put the referee in a position where he even has a call to make. 

If we still have operational undersoil heating there's no excuse at all for the pitch to have been in the snow covered condition it appeared to be in at mid day and if we know there,s a particularly bad storm on the way, is it too much effort to cover the pitch temporarily?

THe pitch should have been pristine not marginal.

The pitch was always likely to deteriorate this season when the owners reneged on their intention to invest in a new pitch last summer, instead trying to do things on the cheap.

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It wasn't seemingly that the pitch wasn't clear, it was

The whole thing should have been handled better, I think it should have been postponed earlier or alternatively perhaps delayed, an inspection 45 minutes prior is not acceptable. But putting it down to the referee wanting to be "centre of attention" is a load of bollocks.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Surely the sensible decision by the ref would have been to delay the kick off time?

Half an hour delay and a fully cleared pitch..this game would have been played.

It's all Eyes on the Referee with this load of bollox..ALL wanted the Game to proceed.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1