BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Utd (a) - 23/2/22 - Match Preview

On 20/02/2022 at 13:39, JHRover said:

By the time we kick off at Sheffield we will have played 1 game in a fortnight since losing to Forest. 

In the same period Sheff Utd have had 3 games in the last 7 days.

So as tough as it will be I would hope that one advantage to our recent lull in fixtures and them having to catch up games is that we will be fresh and ready for a 90 minute effort. I will be concerned if they appear more energetic or fresh.

If that's the case Rovers should be fresh and up for it.

On 20/02/2022 at 13:17, 1864roverite said:

Great preview 👍 will be in Mexico on Wednesday celebrating my birthday hoping to wake up with a victory and 3 points however the reality is we are misfiring which will probably cost us the points

Have a happy birthday, and let's hope rovers bring you a belated present, 3 pts wrapped up,

Looking at all the facts, this looks like a win for Sheffield United.

However, we all know football doesn't work like that.  

Seen it before when Mowbray puts out a mish mash of a team and you think no chance and we pull off a surprise win.

I think not playing on Saturday will have done us a big favour.

We are conceding very, very few goals and I think we have enough in our team (even with Brereton missing) to notch one or two.

Rovers' to unexpectedly sneak it by the odd goal and certainly worth a flutter at 7/2.   

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

Like a lot of this side Khadra is far better on the counter attack driving forwards and not having to think about it too much.

When we have a lot of the ball pinning the opposition back he runs down blind alleys too often. He isn't alone either they need to get some interchanging passes off quicker too many want to do it all themselves.

Yeah I agree. Khadra a good player but when a game swings this way dolans the better of the two and should be replaced 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Seen it before when Mowbray puts out a mish mash of a team and you think no chance and we pull off a surprise win.

We are conceding very, very few goals and I think we have enough in our team (even with Brereton missing) to notch one or two.

Rovers' to unexpectedly sneak it by the odd goal and certainly worth a flutter at 7/2.   

Just downgraded us from a narrow defeat to a heavy defeat after that post

Thanks for the tip - a contra bet has usually been profitable

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I will admit I’m not expecting anything from this trip. I think the moment of opportunity has passed us by. A point would be a huge get, imo. 

It's not so much the point for us, but more the two points not gained by Sheff Utd, that would make a draw hugh.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Wow, at the start of that post I thought you were going to predict a defeat, something I can't ever remember you doing. But nope.

4 hours ago, rigger said:

It's not so much the point for us, but more the two points not gained by Sheff Utd, that would make a draw hugh.

We also have to hope Blackpool beats QP. Cardiff vs HUD’s, etc. At some point, we have to win our own battles. 

Defending has been stellar; perhaps that will make the difference vs ShefU. 

Edited by WacoRover
  • Like 1

Not expecting much from this, it will be v difficult.

But - going by Saturday's teamsheet, Pickering should be back and our drop in form seems to have more or less coincided with his absence, so maybe he will make a difference.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TonyM said:

But - going by Saturday's teamsheet, Pickering should be back and our drop in form seems to have more or less coincided with his absence, so maybe he will make a difference.

It's a good shout. Ever since Pickering got injured and Nyambe has been in/out or at CB, we've been terrible. Like you, I'm hoping those two will be in from the off tomorrow and that it'll make a big difference.

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

Poor old Ben! He'll possibly end up on 20 goals for the season. Tough shit bookies!!

He's going through one of those spells all strikers go through goalless in the last few games. I can see him getting back on the scoresheet when he returns.Bradley Dacks closer to returning, but it might be to late after we slip out of the play off spots.

Pickering being back is a huge plus, perhaps a case of you don't realise what you've got till it's gone with him.  The facts speak for themselves that we've struggled without him.  Coupled with Dack returning soon it could well be the shot in the arm we need.

• Like 2

Y'know I really didn't rate the new Sheff Utd manager but he seems to have turned them around. Tough game for us. We should have the fitness advantage and really need to capitalise on that. 

In isolation a point is a good result. In the wider perspective we need 3 or we will continue to slowly sink. It's a tough run of games and we need to break the death spiral asap. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Pickering being back is a huge plus, perhaps a case of you don't realise what you've got till it's gone with him.  The facts speak for themselves that we've struggled without him.  Coupled with Dack returning soon it could well be the shot in the arm we need.

From what I have seen of Dack in the U23s, he won't be returning and winning us games, any time soon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geoff66 said:

It might not matter, Mowbrays  just announced Diaz might be out for a few weeks, We usually draw 0-0 or lose without him. 

It's more than a few weeks! TM just trying to downplay it and make it sound like he'll only miss a few games. I think he misses the next 7.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

From what I have seen of Dack in the U23s, he won't be returning and winning us games, any time soon. 

He's scored a couple of goals which is more than we can say for the first team recently......

I think you can tell from Mowbrays comments its not gonna be in the next few games though anyway.

4 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

He's scored a couple of goals which is more than we can say for the first team recently......

I think you can tell from Mowbrays comments its not gonna be in the next few games though anyway.

Lets have another look on Monday. It could be a tough game against West Ham.

Edited by rigger