BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Utd (a) - 23/2/22 - Match Preview

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we were really poor, we would have lost

"Rotten" is a ridiculous description! 

Not really, because Hudds and Luton were both poor as well, I was at both games.

4 points dropped, and yeah fair enough we were solid enough defensively, but I think "rotten" is a pretty accurate description of our performance in both games going forward. One shot on target over the two, and that was a tame free kick!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

Not really, because Hudds and Luton were both poor as well, I was at both games.

4 points dropped, and yeah fair enough we were solid enough defensively, but I think "rotten" is a pretty accurate description of our performance in both games going forward. One shot on target over the two, and that was a tame free kick!

We have different views on wat rotten means so 

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

That’s why we’re not winning games. We only make a couple of decent chances per game and then they’ve been falling to the wrong players recently. If you are going to play on the break away all the time you are never going to have more the two or three players in the box on the end of attacks. They’ve got to be finishers. You’ve got to get players into the penalty box to score goals.  Add that the our inability to score from set pieces and it’s not difficult to see why we aren’t scoring.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s why we’re not winning games. We only make a couple of decent chances per game and then they’ve been falling to the wrong players recently. If you are going to play on the break away all the time you are never going to have more the two or three players in the box on the end of attacks. They’ve got to be finishers. You’ve got to get players into the penalty box to score goals.  Add that the our inability to score from set pieces and it’s not difficult to see why we aren’t scoring.

Indeed. Dack and Brereton (well, half a season Brereton) are the only players at the club who can anticipate balls coming into the box and then have the ability to put them away. As you say, we really need our centre halves to start chipping in with a few.

37 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have different views on wat rotten means so 

Thesaurus

Rotten - Meaning1 - putrid,decomposed etc..

Rotten - meaning 2 

bad/poor/dreadful/awful/terrible/frightful/atrocious/hopeless/inadequate/inferior/unsatisfactory/Venky's

( OK, I added the last one myself )

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Thesaurus

Rotten - Meaning1 - putrid,decomposed etc..

Rotten - meaning 2 

bad/poor/dreadful/awful/terrible/frightful/atrocious/hopeless/inadequate/inferior/unsatisfactory/Venky's

( OK, I added the last one myself )

I would say bad and atrocious are 2 different levels of being s**te! 

In the games mentioned, we were bad in relation to the standards set this season, but not atrocious  

On 20/02/2022 at 01:02, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The single worst fixture we could have right now given the run we’re on. They are the leagues form team and look pretty formidable opposition, especially at home. We couldn’t hit a barn door, BBD is out for a while, and our friends at Sky are showing it again. Surely the tide has to turn at some point? I really think it’s important we don’t lose, and have a feeling we may spring a surprise:

Sheff Utd 0 Rovers 1

After the next 7 days the tide may be turning, after sheff utd and q.p,r in the next 7 days we will have played most of the top 10 teams, but no game is a walk in the park in the second half of the season,

• Like 2

On 19/02/2022 at 21:35, roversfan99 said:

Very tough game. Suspect Mowbray will go with the same team as named today. Id swap Dolan for Buckley and Hedges for Khadra or even Gallagher and play on the counter attack.

Khadra shows flashes of genius when he's on form, but like somebody's comment we couldn't hit a barn door from 10 yards at the moment these players need to be scoring more on a  regular basis, or it's another fruitless season after a start that promised so much for rovers supporters,

Like a lot of this side Khadra is far better on the counter attack driving forwards and not having to think about it too much.

When we have a lot of the ball pinning the opposition back he runs down blind alleys too often. He isn't alone either they need to get some interchanging passes off quicker too many want to do it all themselves.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Geoff66 said:

After the next 7 days the tide may be turning, after sheff utd and q.p,r in the next 7 days we will have played most of the top 10 teams, but no game is a walk in the park in the second half of the season,

You might want to add the next game, away at Fulham, to that list.

I think we're going to have a tough end to the season. It's becoming far more difficult to hit teams on the break, I think we've been figured out.

The Swansea game, when they played with a low block for half an hour and we had loads of possession was a good example. Their keeper barely had a save to make.

TM needs to earn his money and come up with some other plays to unlock defences. Set pieces have been pretty poor as well over the last few games, that needs sorting out.

Fingers crossed for a positive result.

• Like 2

Sheff Utd bang in form, but will probably play into our hands on the counter attack.

I'd play both Dolan and Khadra as their pace will contribute to a good away win.

That being said, if Tombola Tony lines up negative and benches either player, it be a tough night especially as "couldnt hit a barn door" is guaranteed to plsy

6 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Sheff Utd bang in form, but will probably play into our hands on the counter attack.

I'd play both Dolan and Khadra as their pace will contribute to a good away win.

That being said, if Tombola Tony lines up negative and benches either player, it be a tough night especially as "couldnt hit a barn door" is guaranteed to plsy

I am as big a critic as anyone of Gallagher, well almost. If that is who is meant. But Dolan has 6 career goals and Khadra 3, Gallagher has a far better track record of scoring even if he himself is far from prolific.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I was also at the game against huddersfield, utter rubbish they were poor it was torrential rain very difficult conditions for both teams. Rovers had a strong claim for a penalty turned down.

6 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Indeed. Dack and Brereton (well, half a season Brereton) are the only players at the club who can anticipate balls coming into the box and then have the ability to put them away. As you say, we really need our centre halves to start chipping in with a few.

We need 5 or 6 players chipping in with goals, or it's another season in the championship. Seems a long time since September onwards when the supporters were beginning to believe in the unbelievable the play offs or higher,

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Like a lot of this side Khadra is far better on the counter attack driving forwards and not having to think about it too much.

When we have a lot of the ball pinning the opposition back he runs down blind alleys too often. He isn't alone either they need to get some interchanging passes off quicker too many want to do it all themselves.

I agree, Khadas got pace and can carve out chances on the counter. So is Dolan who is fit again both need to find the net more.

• Like 1