BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Utd (a) - 23/2/22 - Match Preview

By the time we kick off at Sheffield we will have played 1 game in a fortnight since losing to Forest. 

In the same period Sheff Utd have had 3 games in the last 7 days.

So as tough as it will be I would hope that one advantage to our recent lull in fixtures and them having to catch up games is that we will be fresh and ready for a 90 minute effort. I will be concerned if they appear more energetic or fresh.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember going over there once on business about 30 years ago and in the middle of this huge empty area that had obviously been the site of an enormous factory there was this little pub stood on it’s own. The guy I was with said that it kept different opening hours to the rest of the country so the steel workers coming off shift could get a drink.

Was that right ?

It seems so…😁

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/17259-beer-and-steelworks/

• Like 1

Great preview Ian - the bar has been set unbelievably high there now! 
I’ve only ever been to Sheffield once when football hasn’t been involved and that was to run in a cross country race in a big park in the city over 40 years ago. 
The snooker at the Crucible is on my bucket list though, so hopefully I will tick that one off one day. 
Mark Patterson says that Blades fans are unbelievable and he regularly gets recognised on holiday etc even though he didn’t play for them for that long. 
Some good bands have come out of that city over the years as well. Human League, Heaven 17, Arctic Monkeys, Richard Hawley, Pulp etc etc

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Some great stories there. Most guys had a pint at dinner time back in my apprenticeship days I  remember a guy sneaking out of the fire door for a quick pint in the local boozer at our 3-00 to 3-15 tea break. The works manager had me change the crash bar on the door to one of those little hammers and glass tubes so the guy couldn’t sneak out !

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Great preview Ian - the bar has been set unbelievably high there now! 
I’ve only ever been to Sheffield once when football hasn’t been involved and that was to run in a cross country race in a big park in the city over 40 years ago. 
The snooker at the Crucible is on my bucket list though, so hopefully I will tick that one off one day. 
Mark Patterson says that Blades fans are unbelievable and he regularly gets recognised on holiday etc even though he didn’t play for them for that long. 
Some good bands have come out of that city over the years as well. Human League, Heaven 17, Arctic Monkeys, Richard Hawley, Pulp etc etc

Dave Berry and the Cruisers. He had a brilliant guitarist in his band, a guy called Frank White.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

By the time we kick off at Sheffield we will have played 1 game in a fortnight since losing to Forest. 

In the same period Sheff Utd have had 3 games in the last 7 days.

So as tough as it will be I would hope that one advantage to our recent lull in fixtures and them having to catch up games is that we will be fresh and ready for a 90 minute effort. I will be concerned if they appear more energetic or fresh.

Never works that, for us anyway.

Several times this year we have had a time advantage to be more prepared than our opposition and each time we have been dreadful.

Extra 24 hours on Huddersfield - we were rotten

Extra 24 hour on Hull - we were rotten

Extra 24 hours on Luton - we were rotten

Swansea played midweek while we had a midweek off- we were rotten

I think we know what happens on Wednesday. We'll be 2 down in 20 minutes and go down pretty meekly without threatening.

• Like 3

We really really could've done with playing yesterday and making home advantage count. Refs seem determined to do their level best to try and stop us having a tilt at promotion this season. No doubt this one will be a 'homer' as well taking the opposition numbers to 12 !

Another narrow defeat here i'm afraid.

Blades   1     Rovers   0

Tony Field Superstar

How many goals have you scored so far?

Great preview, I also worked in Sheffield and the West Midlands, thanks for the memories. 

We won't get anything from this one. It could be that other results put us in the play offs despite ourselves!?

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Really important city for late 70's, early 80's electronic music spearheaded by Cabaret Voltaire and their Western works studio /rehersal space , played an important role in shaping the then flegling New Order who recorded their first demos at Western works aided by CV.

Just thinking the only times been to Sheffield were to watch Rovers or Cabs gigs  (R.I.P Richard H kirk) and a works outing? to Meadowhall which put me off mega shopping complexes for life 🙂

As for the game head says a miserable loss , heart says draw

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Never works that, for us anyway.

Several times this year we have had a time advantage to be more prepared than our opposition and each time we have been dreadful.

Extra 24 hours on Huddersfield - we were rotten

Extra 24 hour on Hull - we were rotten

Extra 24 hours on Luton - we were rotten

Swansea played midweek while we had a midweek off- we were rotten

I think we know what happens on Wednesday. We'll be 2 down in 20 minutes and go down pretty meekly without threatening.

Jesus, steady on 😂 Both of them are flying it and we didn't lose the games 

I've got a bad feeling about this one.

It seems to have all the ingredients for a disappointing night:

- A while since we last played

- Away from home midweek

- Live on Sky

- Sheff U are in decent form and strong at home

- We've had goalscoring woes and Brereton is out

We really need a result and a win if we are to keep the pressure up on the top 2 but just can't see it. We just always seem to struggle in these sort of fixtures.

• Like 1

I’m not usually one to ‘take a point’, you want to go up, you go out to win. 

However, this has a real Hull away feel to me for all the reasons others have pointed out.

Get a point out of it, it keeps Sheff Utd at arms length too and we go again to give QPR a shoeing on Saturday.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

On 19/02/2022 at 21:22, Darrenbot said:

If you could give 2 likes for a match Preview then this would be the one to give it to.Top notch preview there Herbie.

If we can win at an inform Sheff U on Wed with the run their on and with no goalscoring forward in our team and being on SKY which we never play well on,it'll go down as one of Mowbrays best wins with us.Teams all around us will keep dropping points so taking points off  another up with us  is doubly important.we just need to get out of this funk were in and 1 win could kickstart our season again however unlikely that'll be in Sheffield.

Not sure about opponents dropping points, rovers were 10 pts clear from dropping out of the play off spots at one time, it's now 5pts with some of the lower teams having games in hand. We need to go on an unbeaten run like the first half of the season get a few wins under our belt or things could be touch and go for the play offs. Some good news, Dolan is fit again, i think we play better with a fit Dolan but he could do with a few goals under his belt to become the finished article. Also Bradley Dacks a bit closer to returning.

15 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Really important city for late 70's, early 80's electronic music spearheaded by Cabaret Voltaire and their Western works studio /rehersal space , played an important role in shaping the then flegling New Order who recorded their first demos at Western works aided by CV.

Just thinking the only times been to Sheffield were to watch Rovers or Cabs gigs  (R.I.P Richard H kirk) and a works outing? to Meadowhall which put me off mega shopping complexes for life 🙂

As for the game head says a miserable loss , heart says draw

Also Clock DVA and Comsat Angels.

My favourite ever band from Sheffield were The Mau Maus.

I notice nobody has mentioned Def Leppard!

Back to the footy - Hopeful but not really optimistic. I know this phrase has been described as slightly defeatist on recent threads, but in the is case it is true -  'I'll be happy with a point' 

• Like 1

Not full of confidence for this one, they've hit a great patch of form lately.

I really can't see how we score against this lot, after being unable to against the likes of WBA and Swansea.

I'm quite the optimist, and will generally predict a clutch win in these sorta games. But i'm just not feeling it this time, 2-0 Sheff U.

Really hope i'm wrong, but either way - COYB!

Don’t think we could pick a worse team to play against right now, and for that reason it’s either a 3-0 home or a Rovers 1-0 away. Swaying towards the former to say the least.