BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Utd (a) - 23/2/22 - Match Preview

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I understand the temptation to over compensate, but I don't think the solution to our best attacker being out is to go more attacking.

We should play to our strengths not our weaknesses, and that's why I'd rather stick with the current approach. At the very least, it has proven hard for teams to break it down. Even with no goals, every clean sheet is a draw. We are bound to nick goals here and there too. I think it's our best chance of sneaking enough points to make the playoffs.

The odd 0-0 away is okay, but our 10 pts cushion at one time has been cut to 4 pts.

6 minutes ago, TonyM said:

I know TM has said he isn't ready, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see Dack on the bench tonight ... 

Would be a huge psychological boost to everyone.

With 7 subs why wouldn't you do it.

If we need a goal with 10 minutes to go.................................................. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, TonyM said:

I know TM has said he isn't ready, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see Dack on the bench tonight ... 

Sure I read he’s in line to play another U23s game before he’s considered. I agree though - he’s quite literally the only player in our squad bar BBD who can anticipate a ball coming into the box and stick it away.

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I get what you're saying about the Fulham game being a free hit, but we have so little room for error for the top 2 now in my view, we can't be treating any game (even Fulham away) like that.

Say we need the average of 84 points to go up automatically, that means basically 5 wins and a draw out of the 7 games coming up which would put us on 70 before the international break, before needing another 14 from the last games. There are so many winnable games in there that it's not impossible (and chances are we might need just less than 84 this year) but every game is precious now. 

Agree that all that being said, 4 points from the next two would be a great return. QPR is looking like a must win, but you could argue that Sheff. U away is possibly the toughest game that we'll have between now and the end of the season, bar maybe Fulham. 

Automatic promotion was gone before the start of February.

We'll be lucky to finish in the Playoffs on current form. 

• Like 2

There is absolutely no medical viewpoint as to why Dack couldn't be on the bench tonight or at the weekend. The hard work was done in rehab, 90 more mins doesn't strengthen an ACL to a point where he all of a sudden becomes 'ready'.

We're desperate for Dack back and Dack's desperate to be back. 

Get him on the bench and get him some minutes Mowbray.

3 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

There is absolutely no medical viewpoint as to why Dack couldn't be on the bench tonight or at the weekend. The hard work was done in rehab, 90 more mins doesn't strengthen an ACL to a point where he all of a sudden becomes 'ready'.

It’s not just about being physically ready, he needs to be mentally ready as well. Only the player can tell you if he’s up for it. The pressure will be immense.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s not just about being physically ready, he needs to be mentally ready as well. Only the player can tell you if he’s up for it. The pressure will be immense.

He feels ready alright.

Under 23s is not comparable to competitive football where not only the other team but his team mates are all kids but I would be amazed if Mowbray moved away from his plan of getting Dack at least 2 full 90s of under 23 football.

I get the desperation to see him back in the squad and indeed I feel like his importance has multiplied in the absence of a genuine goal threat but it makes sense to let him play 90 minutes for the under 23s at the weekend, and maybe even one more after that. Then perhaps get him involved in the 3 consecutive home games. At that point, if he had 3 lots of 90 minutes (as well as 75, 60 and 45) under his belt, it might suit to have a midweek game that week too because he will only be doing cameos im sure.

• Like 3

I don't think anyone is saying Dack should be playing any significant part in the game.

However if we need a goal in the last 5 or so minutes we will end up with some weird attacking formation and sticking balls in the box whenever we can. We saw it at Swansea a couple of games ago.  Dack's biggest attribute, for all his technical ability, has been his timing and finding space in the box. If he's played in several under23 games, I'm fairly sure he can physically and mentally cope with a 5 minute cameo. I'd rather the ball dropped to him 8 yards out than Ayala being chucked up top.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I don't think anyone is saying Dack should be playing any significant part in the game.

However if we need a goal in the last 5 or so minutes we will end up with some weird attacking formation and sticking balls in the box whenever we can. We saw it at Swansea a couple of games ago.  Dack's biggest attribute, for all his technical ability, has been his timing and finding space in the box. If he's played in several under23 games, I'm fairly sure he can physically and mentally cope with a 5 minute cameo. I'd rather the ball dropped to him 8 yards out than Ayala being chucked up top.

The same could be said of Vale, why not have him on the bench ?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rigger said:

The same could be said of Vale, why not have him on the bench ?

I'm all for that. But for strikers and defenders, putting unbloodied kids onto the pitch in big games rarely seems to be Mowbray style.  

To be fair I've nothing really to draw an opinion on Hedges. I just don't think he'll be the goal-poaching option we desperately need.

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Put them both on the bench. Vale is putting the ball in the net. What harm giving him a few minutes? 

Vale is 20 and is no longer a kid.

Good strikers have instinct and sniff out chances.

Rashford debuted at 17 in European and PL football and couldn't stop scoring.

Who is to say Vale couldn't have a similar impact at Championship level.  There's only one way to find out..............................

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

They rushed him a bit last time by the looks of it when TM was under a bit of pressure so i doubt they'll make the same mistake. We need a fit and firing Dack next season whatever league we end up in.

Rovers SHOULD have got in proper striking additions in Jan.

• Like 3