BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

45 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Oh come off it, it's a bit of summer excitement whilst there's no football. That's what its all about. Let's not get super pedantic.

and at least it was accurate info...

😂 was a set of eyes "accurate info?" Or just I know something you lot dont know slightly before you all but I cant/wont tell you?

And is it summer excitement that weve signed a kid for the youth team?

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

😂 was a set of eyes "accurate info?" Or just I know something you lot dont know slightly before you all but I cant/wont tell you?

And is it summer excitement that weve signed a kid for the youth team?

Okay yes, I knew about Walker and did for a while, no I wasn't really in a place to divulge that. But for the hour or so in between my post & clubs announcement, I'm sure it got a few people excited. Bit of fun. 

Don't be so grumpy. 

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Okay yes, I knew about Walker and did for a while, no I wasn't really in a place to divulge that. But for the hour or so in between my post & clubs announcement, I'm sure it got a few people excited. Bit of fun. 

Don't be so grumpy. 

If an eye emoji with no further detail got people excited in a transfer thread at which point we have no manager then they could do with some hobbies over these summer months!

I find this whole ITK willy waving charade a bit tiresome in general, I think it must be the particular prevalance with the manager situation.

• Like 4

Just now, roversfan99 said:

If an eye emoji with no further detail got people excited in a transfer thread at which point we have no manager then they could do with some hobbies over these summer months!

I find this whole ITK willy waving charade a bit tiresome in general, I think it must be the particular prevalance with the manager situation.

It wasn't willy waving, it was just an emoji, trying to spread some fun. If I wanted to willy wave I'd have probably put:

"Player signing at 3pm. Can't say who but..." etc etc.

I can't think of any new recruits for the U23s last summer, which, may have been a mistake, despite the strong campaign the prior season - especially, as first team fringe players were not used much at all. The team went on to struggle with injuries and poor form, avoiding relegation from PL2 with an impressive late revival.

In the past, I'm sure youth recruitment was more active - though others who know more about this will be able to clarify. We always had several Irish youth players in the team and often Scotsmen. It seems the net is smaller now, though the club did bring in McBride from Celtic and Gilsenan.

This could mean better focus on recruitment and development, rather than the revolving that clubs sometimes have with youngsters struggling to settle in a new place/country. But it might, on the other hand, also mean missing out on the next Duff, Judge, Lenihan or Hanley, if scouting is cut back too much.

I think last season exemplified that players reach a certain age and experience where U23s doesn't necessarily aid their development and leaving them there, especially, in a weakened side, can cause stagnation. ( I hasten to add that scrappy loans to non-league don't do much either, I suspect, in most cases).

As well as new recruits to help the new tranche of promoted U18s, players like Garrett, Barnes, Eastham, Cirino, Vale, Burns will need a next developmental step, be it on loan at a decent level or involvement with firsts. Otherwise, I can see them fading away badly like those who have been released this summer.

Edited by riverholmes

There is a lot of talk about how the new manager needs to really promote youth which to an extent is true but I don't think an expectation to bring loads more through imminently is fair or realistic.

That doesn't mean that I think veterans should be brought in, players (often considered hard men) in their mid 30's well past their best, but players with good experience to compliment a very young core. Obviously much of this will come down to money so over to you Venkys...

Forget the unproven kids for a second, the likes of Vale and Pike who have struggled in non league in recent times or players like Phillips, A.Wharton and Garrett, even Brown who is a bit older, if one or two break through then a big bonus but maybe the immediate focus should be on loans for many of them.

But the bones of the squad still under contract are all predominantly young. Look beyond Dack, Kaminski and the lesser seen Ayala, and to a lesser extent Hedges and Gallagher who are in the middle. You have the likes of Travis and Wharton, established senior players at 24, (as well as Edun as a squad player) Pickering (and Brereton but discard him as he will be sold) is 23, Buckley is 22, Carter is back from a loan spell and is 22, Rankin Costello (although he perhaps needs to move on) is 22, Dolan is 20 and Markanday has less than an hour of senior football and is 20. We could do with 2 or 3 (maybe Lenihan is one) players perhaps in their peak years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoversTilliDie said:

How many players are sent off in a season, maybe we should condemn them all for a red card. Give him a chance, if he's anything like Dolan we have an asset.

It wasn't any form criticism but me to remember him from the under 18's game involving us and PNE from before the pandemic