BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Correct, people forgetting how class Dolan was when he played whilst Arma was injured in the Arma role and he was fantastic.

Has an excellent cross too. Think Mowbray beat the creativity out of him similar to Travis.

Have to agree with this, also think people forget he’s only 20yrs old.

• Like 4

I'm hoping that the new regime will bring out players like Dolan, Travis and Buckley.

Raheem Sterling was a good player at Liverpool but Pep improved him by a mile at Man City.

I think Nyambe would also improve a lot if he stays with us.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Wouldn't want Armstrong back. You are correct he only ever runs forward. Dolan puts in a proper shift, but defenders soon found out how to defend against him..

1 hour ago, Boroblue said:

Do you not feel if our remit is to look at bringing players through the academy patience is needed. Dolan is 20 and still learning his trade if he was the finished article he wouldn’t be here. The positives for me is there is lots of growing room, he wants to be here and he comes across as a genuinely good guy. He puts 100% into it and works his socks off for the team. I’d prefer Dolan to Armstrong for example who played for himself 

Whoever it is deemed that either played/play for, I can't fathom how anyone would prefer an attacker who scores and assists only fleetingly to someone who scores consistently. We could have done with Armstrong last season during that dry patch.

17 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Correct, people forgetting how class Dolan was when he played whilst Arma was injured in the Arma role and he was fantastic.

Has an excellent cross too. Think Mowbray beat the creativity out of him similar to Travis.

I know you despise Mowbray but the idea that Mowbray beat the creativity out of either of the players mentioned is nonsensical.

Travis has never been a creative player, he has always been a spoiler so the idea that Mowbray has beat it out of him is inaccurate.

Dolan has been pretty similar in both of his seasons, he scored 1 more league goal and 1 more cup goal last season compared to the previous one so he was slightly more effective. He has often been afforded a central role which suits his energy and pressing but IMO he doesn't offer enough of a goal threat there.

Also, I don't recall how "class" he was when Armstrong was out, I always saw that as somewhat of a myth. He put in a typically energetic performance at Millwall that was impressive but ultimately he failed to score in each of the 3 games that he played before Armstrong returned and his influence massively waned v Swansea and Brentford.

He is a talent but he has lots to learn to become a consistent goal threat/creative influence which he has only been in the last 2 years very fleetingly. That being said, he is very young still and seems a keen learner so lets hope that he really pushes on this season, there is plenty of raw attributes to work with.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, pick32 said:

Dolan > Gallagher 

Depends - as a general player, I'd agree.

But as a central striker, I'm taking Gallagher all day long.

Give Gallagher proper service and he's scoring 15+ goals in this division.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

Depends - as a general player, I'd agree.

But as a central striker, I'm taking Gallagher all day long.

Give Gallagher proper service and he's scoring 15+ goals in this division.

Gallagher had 9 last season. Yes, I have to believe jdt finds ways to get him the ball more. 

• Like 1

This time last season I said that Brereton was going to become a very good player, score a lot of goals, get international recognition and play in the top flight.

Admittedly he's only one good season into his career, but his best days are very much in front of him.

If we set up to play to SG's strengths, he'll get a decent wedge of goals for us in this division.

• Like 3

Will Travis be captain? 

The new regime will use their powers and skills to appoint a captain and build the team around him but its their choice. As committed to Rovers as Travis is I don't think he's bullish enough to get the best out of others and apply team management issues on the pitch. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What are his strengths?

Just because his confidence was completely shot to pieces by being played as a winger for two seasons by the gurning chump, doesn't mean there isn't a footballer in there. Remember, footie is a school of hard knocks, where only an elite few get to become professionals, and which systematically weeds out / grinds down those whose talents are less than robust. So, there IS a player in Gallagher, and JDT should be straight onto bringing him back to a level of confidence and capability that his status in 'the elite' surely deserves.

I don't believe he is just a lardy lump*, and I do look forward to his becoming a regular name on the scoresheet in the coming seasons. Come on you Sam Gallagher!

Edited by Guest
* No, I'M a lardy lump!!

18 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Davenport firing shots at Mowbray no wonder. He'll prove Mowbray wrong 

Let’s not forget that Man City’s hierarchy put a buy back clause in for Davenport

They don’t do that for all of the youth products they sell. There’s obviously something in him, but his injury record is appalling 

New coach, new ideas and how often in football do you see certain players thrive under new management? You never know, such is the thrill of a new era !!

• Like 2

Gally had a few games last season where he showed what he could do - work rate, tackles, defending and goals. Boro is one that stands out. Then other games he'd come out and it was like his twin brother. Whimped out of challenges, couldn't trap a bag of cement. I'd agree there is a player in there, just hope JDT can get him to do it consistently 

Edited by RoverDom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy said:

This time last season I said that Brereton was going to become a very good player, score a lot of goals, get international recognition and play in the top flight.

Admittedly he's only one good season into his career, but his best days are very much in front of him.

If we set up to play to SG's strengths, he'll get a decent wedge of goals for us in this division.

Sam Gallagher got 17 goals under Coyle - it can be done 

But unfortunately I have lost a lot of faith in him. He’s had some very bad performances in his time here

But as said he was shunted out wide for a lot of it. Completely unnatural to him. If JDT can get a tune out of him then it’s our answers solved. If he starts with him this season then he must think there’s a striker there, and being a striker himself I’d take his word for it over mine 

2 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Crazy. Armstrong has his faults but is a totally different animal. 

Armstrong was Tony's project when he was here, he isn't coming back and if we loan in a striker chances are it'll be a different type.

15 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

I tell you what Thyrs Dolan does need to do…….stop texting on his phone while driving! 

Don’t want to sound like his Dad but after training at 4 this afternoon driving past YUs he was texting away! 

😂

16 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

I tell you what Thyrs Dolan does need to do…….stop texting on his phone while driving! 

Don’t want to sound like his Dad but after training at 4 this afternoon driving past YUs he was texting away! 

Surely they have a car with voice text in it, no need to be tapping away whilst driving.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I genuinely have no idea why so many seem so confident that if this that and the other happen, that Gallagher can score loads and loads of goals.

I think most recognize that Gallagher has enough about him to get more goals in this division. Has decent pace, power and useful in the air. Played centrally he should increase on his total from this season. Some coaching on the timing of his run into the box and getting in at the end of crosses would help greatly.

Can't see him being a 25+ goalscorer though. He has not got the natural scoring ability of your (prime) Rhodes, Billy Sharp, Armstrong etc. He's more of a Heskey type that defaults to power rather than applying the finish right for the situation.

Anyhow, we're so thin upfront that Gallagher will have a role so hopefully JDT can get the best out of him.

• Like 6

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Butty said:

Regardless of the Dolan/Gallagher debate and regardless of whether Diaz stays or goes we need another out and out striker bringing in I think.

Include Markanday too.

Personally I'd rather try and get a tune out of what we have up front and use our funds build a rock solid defense.

• Like 7