BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Duff was forced out, wasn't he?

I read a story that basically he was told his bags had been taken off the plane (I assume we were off somewhere for pre-season) cos Chelsea had met our valuation / his release clause and he had to speak to them. 

I gather he was pretty miffed about how it all went down. 

From someone who worked at Rovers at that time : the 17m clause was put into his contract to deter clubs from buying him , the only club the country at that time who would have paid that much was Man Utd and they had Giggs in his prime , Duff was happy to stay at Rovers but he was/is a Liverpool fan at heart , when Abramovic came with all his money suddenly Chelsea wher the team willing to pay what Liverpool and Arsenal wouldn’t , the fee was reached by Chelsea Liverpool came in with a counter off but couldn’t match Chelsea’s new clout .. Duff wanted to go Liverpool but We sold him to highest bidder

Edited by AJW
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

no way middlesboro are paying him 30 grand a week,they have a sensible chairman in gibson,who`s been in charge for years and has done the maniac wage period in years past,i reckon wilder has sold the club,it`s idealogy and promotion to him,tbh if he wants promotion he should be getting in defenders who are better than darragh

They have paid big money to dross loads of times.They have an owner who is better than ours and who cares more but to say they haven't made quite a few mistakes in the transfer market and with wages is just wrong 

Edited by islander200

2 hours ago, RTM08 said:

Letting Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe go is less of an issue because of their ability, and more because we could have got a reasonable amount of money towards replacements. That's the difference between replacing them with proven quality or having to go through the bargain bucket for a uncovered gem. Across the 3 there have definitely been rumours of a total of £10m+ bids that would have made a massive difference.

It's absolutely criminal that we let the contracts run down and to be honest they should have been sold 12 months ago when it was clear they wouldn't sign. 

The £4m or so that Mowbray accepted for Rothwell should be made available for a replacement. Then you have the Arma money…

If the model is to make money off academy products then we just missed out on two of them. Give Nyambe and Lenihan new deals in Jan them blame the new manager when selling them in the summer. No business sense imo. 

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Different kettle of fish in a different league with the best team in the league and we don't know how he will play there. Like to think he is more flexible than you give him credit for.

Just look at Jon Dahl Tomasson's comments on how he play and formation. That he has clear plan for how we will play. 

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Fact of the matter is that the director of football wanted him to stay and unfortunately we couldn't agree a deal. Difficult to find equal with no money coming in to replace him.

Lets see who we sign at right back position 

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

They have paid big money to dross loads of times.They have an owner who is better than ours and who cares more but to say they haven't made quite a few mistakes in the transfer market and with wages is just wrong 

yes and now gibson does`nt do crazy wages anymore,which is my point,lenihan might be on a bit more than he got here,but he won`t be on 30k a week,he`s had his head turned by wilder who thinks he`s great(he tried to get him when he was at sheff utd)

I think we just have to draw a line in the sand and look forward.

We have a whole new set up. This is undoubtedly a project, luckily not a Mowbray journey up and down windy roads.

I am excited, that we have cleared the decks. We have a young manager and apparently a solid Director of Football who has made sound comments so far. Game on.

No point in looking back unless you plan on going that way.     

Edited by bigbrandjohn
  • Like 4

Looking at the last 10 or so pages, the excitement of last week has well and truly worn off!

It's a poor position to be in no doubt, but I refuse to be too down about it as what's done is done. We still have many decent players at this level  and none of those who have left are irreplaceable. I want the club to look forward & learn lessons from the past; the appointments of GB & JDT look to be evidence of the start of that process. At least they have almost a blank canvas to develop exactly how they want. 

It's a real opportunity to reset the playing staff under a new & invigorated management team & develop a new identity that everyone can buy into.

I'm still excited about that next chapter, bring it on!!

• Like 7

We can cross off one of the players from the list I mentionend earlier with regards to the "Broughton/Glimt connection" ;

Philip Zinckernagel have left Watford and English football and joined Olympiacos.

Don't know if he ever was on Broughton's list though.

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

no way middlesboro are paying him 30 grand a week,they have a sensible chairman in gibson,who`s been in charge for years and has done the maniac wage period in years past,i reckon wilder has sold the club,it`s idealogy and promotion to him,tbh if he wants promotion he should be getting in defenders who are better than darragh

He also sold the club to Jordan Rhodes and they didn’t end well for either of them ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

yes and now gibson does`nt do crazy wages anymore,which is my point,lenihan might be on a bit more than he got here,but he won`t be on 30k a week,he`s had his head turned by wilder who thinks he`s great(he tried to get him when he was at sheff utd)

If you read DLs  own words it is very clear that he wanted out for some time and had no intention of staying - especially after the derby game at Ewood!

I have three thoughts on the letting three players go for nothing. Firstly, isn’t the financial side more of a worry for the people who pump in £20 million/year than it is for us? Secondly, if we’d sold them this time last year, I think it more than likely the only beneficiaries would’ve been the people who would probably have pumped in only £14 million vs £20 million. Thirdly, I’d much rather have re-signed Kaminski and Travis and lost those three rather than vice versa.

Edited by Exiled in Toronto
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Swanson said:

We can cross off one of the players from the list I mentionend earlier with regards to the "Broughton/Glimt connection" ;

Philip Zinckernagel have left Watford and English football and joined Olympiacos.

Don't know if he ever was on Broughton's list though.

Above our pay grade. Good little player, but not PL material. 

27 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I have three thoughts on the letting three players go for nothing. Firstly, isn’t the financial side more of a worry for the people who pump in £20 million/year than it is for us? Secondly, if we’d sold them this time last year, I think it more than likely the only beneficiaries would’ve been the people who would probably have pumped in only £14 million vs £20 million. Thirdly, I’d much rather have re-signed Kaminski and Travis and lost those three rather than vice versa.

Seeing as we're not really replacing players who leave for a fee, it's hard to see how we all of a sudden would be able to replace like for like (or better) players who leave for nothing.

Rothwell was a goner in any case, but Nyambe especially at 24 I think it's criminal although I don't know what his agent has been demanding on his behalf. I have no hard feelings towards him as he was grossly mis-managed by Mowbray for large parts of the past five years, whereas captain Lenihan making a sideways move angers me a bit more. I can never fault him for his effort or attitude, but I would have stripped him of the armband a long time ago if I was managing the side.

27 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Firstly, no. It's their money, sure, but it's also the club's money. We support the club. The amount of money they get or don't get for players affects the ability to get new, better players, which affects our enjoyment of match days and the club's overall fate, which we are invested in emotionally. I actually think most of us care more about that than Venkys do, and they can certainly shoulder the losses so I doubt they're crying into their fried chicken.

Secondly, I could be wrong here, but I think 14 million is still above what they can put in for FFP calculations, and they just put that in to keep the club solvent. I could be wrong though as I say, not clear on the current FFP rules.

On the third point, they aren't mutually exclusive, and we had more time left on Travis and Kaminski to resolve those anyway. I notice you didn't say 'and Sam Gallagher' 😉 Maybe if we had made proper overtures at 18 months left like with those players, they would have signed and saved us the pointless expense of replacing them. Or at least we could have sold them to fund replacements.

I hope we're having a look at Kiwi international midfielder Joe Bell who plays for Brøndby. He's on a long contract after signing from Norwegian side VIking in January and would probably cost a fair bit, but he's a real prospect. Broughton would certainly know of him, and he should be no stranger to JDT either.

35 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Firstly, no. It's their money, sure, but it's also the club's money. We support the club. The amount of money they get or don't get for players affects the ability to get new, better players, which affects our enjoyment of match days and the club's overall fate, which we are invested in emotionally. I actually think most of us care more about that than Venkys do, and they can certainly shoulder the losses so I doubt they're crying into their fried chicken.

Secondly, I could be wrong here, but I think 14 million is still above what they can put in for FFP calculations, and they just put that in to keep the club solvent. I could be wrong though as I say, not clear on the current FFP rules.

On the third point, they aren't mutually exclusive, and we had more time left on Travis and Kaminski to resolve those anyway. I notice you didn't say 'and Sam Gallagher' 😉 Maybe if we had made proper overtures at 18 months left like with those players, they would have signed and saved us the pointless expense of replacing them. Or at least we could have sold them to fund replacements.

But they had the opportunity to sell Rothwell in January and didn’t take it. Knowing that, I can’t see they’d have sanctioned selling all three last summer purely on the basis of contracts with still a year to run.

And if we’d sold all three last summer, who knows, we might have been relegated. I think it highly likely they either wouldn’t have given any proceeds to Mowbray or he’d have wasted them.

4 hours ago, J*B said:

People might not believe this and that’s fine, but trust me, Darragh asked for ‘Ayala money’ and as captain of the club, a mainstay in the team and an international player he felt he deserved it. He didn’t get offered anything like that. That combined with the uncertainty of a new manager who may or may not end up liking him vs. a manager that’s tried to sign him twice before meant it was an easy choice. 

I’m by no means ITK, but I have taken a real interest in these negotiations, and from the bits I’ve heard, this seems on the money.

Similarly with Nyambe, only wanted paying like an integral, regular first team player. I believe his initial contract offer from the club was an extension… no/minimal pay rise. Nearly half what Davenport has been paid for 4 years.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

If Nyambe is or was as good as some claim he would be a wanted player and rovers would have received bid after bid as with Lenihan they haven’t !

No bids needed---they're free! Only needs  one approach.