BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

From the Telegraph article today, I’m expecting us to be a lot less active in the transfer market than we’ve all hoped.

It looks like we are going to try and fast track academy players through to the first team quicker than we have. I’m pretty pleased with this, but we need to supplement this with a few experienced heads. Unfortunately I can see us trying to do it primarily with loans instead.

The amount of academy kids we seem to be signing up to professional contracts lately adds weight to this.

The model is to push academy players into the first team, improve them and then sell them on. Or we buy other teams younger players for small fees, improve them and sell them on.

Personally, I don't believe we'll be buying many established/experienced championship players. The odd one every now and again to keep a few experienced heads about but they wouldn't be big purchases.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goozburger said:

It makes sense to expect more from the academy. We've relied on too many loans for too many seasons, and a pattern develops whereby we have gaping holes in the squad.

Here's a list of loan players we've had under Mowbray:

• Ryan Giles
  • Deyovaisio Zeefuik
  • Reda Khadra
  • Jan Paul van Hecke
  • Ian Poveda
  • Leighton Clarkson
  • Jarrad Branthwaite
  • Harvey Elliott
  • Taylor Harwood-Bellis
  • Barry Douglas
  • Tom Trybull
  • Greg Cunningham
  • Tosin Adarabioyo
  • Christian Walton
  • Brad Lyons
  • Mitchel Candlin
  • Harrison Reed
  • Kasey Palmer
  • Jack Payne
  • Adam Armstrong
  • Paul Downing
  • Rekeem Harper
  • Marcus Antonsson
  • Harry Chapman

I've excluded Brereton Diaz because that deal was effectively permanent. I don't know if it's fair to list Lyons and Candlin because I think they were for the U23s only, but there they are.

There are some success stories in there, certainly, but I do wonder how many of those other loans hindered our academy prospects, and how much financial wastage there was. We seemed to max out our loan slots every season under Mowbray. While we can argue the likes of Buckley came through under Mowbray's tenure, we have to remember that we're a Category One academy. Mowbray never seemed to talk up the academy, but it seems like an absolute dream for Broughton and Tomasson to work with. I'm really hopeful that their positive management style and seemingly more modern way of management (like that style or not) will bear much more fruit than it did previously.

A lot of them considerably improved our side though as you touched on. For a club with a minimal budget the loan market is critical to improve the team on a budget.

This assertion that it blocks our own academy graduates is a false one. Even the ones that ended up as squad players, they ultimately were likely in positions whereby there wasn't a graduate ready to play a part, take someone like Giles, there wasn't someone else in the academy waiting to play with equal ability.

If graduates are good enough they will break through regardless, and many did under Mowbray. Buckley is a great example of that, and we did bring in a loanee in Clarkson who simply didn't play because Buckley was playing well. 

It also can allow our own graduates to actually get more experience, Wharton went and played every week for a couple of seasons rather than staying here and being 3rd or 4th choice at a time when he wasn't ready to start every week, so someone like Adarabioyo massively upgraded us short term and actually also long term aswell, indirectly. The same seemingly could be happening with Carter, who has been out on loan impressing whilst Van Hecke and before that Harwood Bellis played.

Had we not signed the above loans expecting kids to break through and they weren't up to it, we would have potentially really struggled.

53 minutes ago, Butty said:

If this is the case then I’m gutted, I’ve really liked what I’ve seen from JDT so far and it would be nice for him to have the best possible chance to succeed here, not backing him at all in the transfer market would be a terrible start. 

Jumping the gun abit their Butty ...... Who’s to say JDT is not being backed?

What i read from the LT article was that he wants the academy playing the way he wants so the players bubbling under can make for an easier transition

Let him assess what we have in stock first, if some of the academy players are good enough get them on the pitch and give them there chance

A few loans as support and back up wont do any arm.
Personally, this season i think will be more of a settling in period. Mid position around crimbo time will be, dare i say exceptable

JDT will by then have a good idea by then whats what, whose out, whose in 

22 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

The amount of academy kids we seem to be signing up to professional contracts lately adds weight to this.

The model is to push academy players into the first team, improve them and then sell them on. Or we buy other teams younger players for small fees, improve them and sell them on.

Personally, I don't believe we'll be buying many established/experienced championship players. The odd one every now and again to keep a few experienced heads about but they wouldn't be big purchases.

Thats exactly why the whole situation with Nyambe, Lenihan and Rothwell is so completely unacceptable

• Like 7

The comments of Mowbray, Tomasson and Broughton all suggest the 'plan' is to rely on the academy kids.

Its a shame in that having just missed out on the play-offs last year the plan doesn't seem to be to recruit to go one better, especially when we should in a healthy financial position to launch an assault having brought in £15 million last summer, wiped clean the wage bill and have an asset that will have to be sold this summer for 8 figures.

Should be plenty of scope there to invest to improve on last season.

We were told 4 years ago under Mowbray that the plan was to use the academy, develop our own players for the first team and grow assets for the club. Then Lenihan and Nyambe happened.

What's the point to this if we just end up in the same position again in 2-3 years time because we won't pay the lads a competitive wage?

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, pomster said:

Jumping the gun abit their Butty ...... Who’s to say JDT is not being backed?

What i read from the LT article was that he wants the academy playing the way he wants so the players bubbling under can make for an easier transition

Let him assess what we have in stock first, if some of the academy players are good enough get them on the pitch and give them there chance

A few loans as support and back up wont do any arm.
Personally, this season i think will be more of a settling in period. Mid position around crimbo time will be, dare i say exceptable

JDT will by then have a good idea by then whats what, whose out, whose in 

I possibly am jumping the gun a bit and should keep my mouth shut until the window is over, it’s just frustrating seeing other clubs getting some decent business done already and we are yet to do anything at all. There’s time yet though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

he has had to operate in the free market as they are likely to face an embargo due to FFP! Other clubs facing it are Bristol and Stoke

Well hes got the guy to play right sided in a back 3 he bid a few million for years ago for nothing now.  Someone who'll fit comfortably into Boro's wage structure, then he's got a well rated LWB on loan from a Prem club.  Presumably to play at LWB.

Wise business, wise manager.

Edited by tomphil

2 hours ago, phili said:

Giles I could never understand. The thing is while striving for a play off place,  it's never a good time to try and train a player to play in a new position. He really had no idea what he was doing or how to play.

That's what preseason is meant to be used for

Mowbray in an absolute nutshell.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Butty said:

I possibly am jumping the gun a bit and should keep my mouth shut until the window is over, it’s just frustrating seeing other clubs getting some decent business done already and we are yet to do anything at all. There’s time yet though.

Frustrating as hell, i know.

You see good players being signed that we could have gone for, but i’m trying to convince myself that JDT and Broughton will sign players from other leagues we are unaware of ... heres hoping

On the academy front ....

I’m sure this is the way to go for the long term future of the club, but, if we did get promoted could we cope In the PL with the younger team we have? Or we would become a development club, and just languish in the championship.

Edited by pomster

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

From the Telegraph article today, I’m expecting us to be a lot less active in the transfer market than we’ve all hoped.

It looks like we are going to try and fast track academy players through to the first team quicker than we have. I’m pretty pleased with this, but we need to supplement this with a few experienced heads. Unfortunately I can see us trying to do it primarily with loans instead.

I'd rather it happen now like this under a new setup who hopefully are working to a plan than it happen under the old regime.

Couldn't stand another two or three seasons of that going nowhere but now i can handle another mid table season or two if we can see what the plan is.  It might actually lead somewhere as long as they show the ambition to punch upwards.

It's not ideal we should be building on last season but that was never a plan really it just caught everybody by surprise.  This transition was always going to happen its been bubbling in the background a while.

Should have put it into action under new leadership two years ago imo but we got transition to possession instead !!!

"Healthy budget": For me, it is just one of those phrases that could be interpreted, or reflected on, in many different ways, depending on how things unfold. A "healthy budget" could be one that allows £5m to be spent on transfers, or £500,000. Or that covers a comparatively large wage bill. Or one that just enables a 'healthy' financial stability, or even supports savings to improve the club's fiscal "health". It could even actually be a negative budget, requiring further transfers out, to achieve a "healthier" position. Potentially. I don't know anything. Except that I hate these 'politician' lines that say nothing other than what one might want to hear. And I am bored...

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

I’d take unleaded making something up at this point 

Let's not forget I am now officially ITK having guessed our manager would be JDT 2 weeks before he was appointed.

Currently guessing that we will sign Styles and Nyambe will sign a new deal

Edited by RoversClitheroe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Can't remember the last time it was this quiet on the transfer front... making me very nervous 

yeah but isnt silence better than gossip/speculation rubbish...

honestly, with the way things have gone already, we'll probably have 5 signings go through at the very death of deadline day