BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Park started last year, right?

The only permanent transfers during that time were Hedges, Edun and Markanday (who I'm giving a reprieve to because he torn his hamstring). 

If we can't credit him with those transfers... then what we he being paid to do?

The last point is an interesting one, just being an out of work Mowbray mate probably.

16 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Park started last year, right?

The only permanent transfers during that time were Hedges, Edun and Markanday (who I'm giving a reprieve to because he torn his hamstring). 

If we can't credit him with those transfers... then what we he being paid to do?

Yes... you can wonder what Park did at Rovers really.... just cost us alot of money surely.... think we need to get rid of Waggot sooner rather than later...

• Like 1

Just now, neophox said:

Wonder if Rovers will try for Styles and Brittain at Barnsley.... two young and hungry players with championship experience.

Big fan of both of these and both would instantly make us stronger at the back, plus with Davies our backline would be brilliant at this level 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

It's perfectly feasible that most (all?) of the links we've seen so far are Rovers trying to flog him. I'm just saying that IF we get more than two clubs who like the look of him, then we're not over the barrel quite as much. FWIW I think he's got more about him than Armstrong so it's not impossible, but we'll have to wait and see. 

If there are no takers then hopefully he’ll be willing to extend his deal for a further 12 months. Arma had a poor first season for Soton so that might scare some teams off too. 

Also like how frank JDT is in his interviews. Definitely putting pressure on GB and SW to deliver the goods, and letting the media and fans know who to blame if we fail to bring players in. 

• Like 1

I think Birmancevic is very unlikely to sign for us. If I had to guess, Malmö would probably want £ 6 million or more to sell.  As there would be other suitors, we could probably not offer a competitive wage even if an offer was accepted. Also...while he is a good player, there are other positions which should probably be  priotitized first ( defenders, central midfield, striker) if the squad has to be assembled on the cheap.

Considering the state of the squad,  I find it worrying that we haven't signed any players with just over 2 weeks until the start of the season.  

Serious question, is Davies really all that?

I can’t say I’ve seen that much of him. Looking at the stats he managed 20 odd games for Sheff Utd last season. Is the fact Liverpool signed him to make up the numbers in training inflating everyone’s opinion of him?

I don’t think there’s be so much clamour to pay a sizeable fee and make him our highest paid player and captain if he was coming from PNE.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

If there are no takers then hopefully he’ll be willing to extend his deal for a further 12 months. Arma had a poor first season for Soton so that might scare some teams off too. 

Also like how frank JDT is in his interviews. Definitely putting pressure on GB and SW to deliver the goods, and letting the media and fans know who to blame if we fail to bring players in. 

That would be ideal - although to be honest I'd be surprised. I think the most likely scenario of him extending his deal is going to be through a lack of form this season if we don't sell now for whatever reason, which obviously wouldn't really suit anyone. 

4 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I can’t say I’ve seen that much of him. Looking at the stats he managed 20 odd games for Sheff Utd last season. Is the fact Liverpool signed him to make up the numbers in training inflating everyone’s opinion of him?

I don’t think there’s be so much clamour to pay a sizeable fee and make him our highest paid player and captain if he was coming from PNE.

I was a bit shocked to see some of the opinions of Sheff U fans when someone posted a link to their forum. Can't have set the world alight there.

But he was very good at PNE by all accounts, and he's still at a good age, so I'd be over the moon if we signed him permanently. Him on a long term contract alongside Wharton and Carter waiting in the wings is a bit of decent stability at the back that we won't have had since at least Mulgrew and Lenihan, and even then we needed an upgrade at this level. 

9 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

He was quality at Preston.

If signed he would be the best defender at the club without question.

If he had joined us rather than Liverpool at the time i wouldn't have been grumbling at him being made highest earner.

Didn't we make an ageing injury prone Ayala the highest paid player at the club.

Davies is a better player than Lenihen.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Precisely. Why haven't Sheff United tried to resign him if he's supposed to be so good?

2 minutes ago, Neal said:

Precisely. Why haven't Sheff United tried to resign him if he's supposed to be so good?

In talks for a CB from Liverpool with a wealth of (good) Championship experience and you're unhappy? Who exactly should we sign at CB? Koulibaly?

Doubt we will get him anyway. Only if its a loan and for some reason Liverpool elect to send him here on a heavily subsidised deal. Can't see why they would do that if others are interested. We won't be spending cash or at least not at the level needed for permanents of that nature.

12 minutes ago, Neal said:

Maybe the Lancashire lad wants to stay in the North West long term rather than Sheffield.

Do we know Sheffield United didn't ask for him back?

When he played for Preston he was one of the of the better centre halves I. The division 

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Doubt we will get him anyway. Only if its a loan and for some reason Liverpool elect to send him here on a heavily subsidised deal. Can't see why they would do that if others are interested. We won't be spending cash or at least not at the level needed for permanents of that nature.

With all due respect you don't know what we have to spend.

The owners go through periods were they do spend on recruitment.

It's inconsistent but you can't say they have NEVER spent money on the team.

• Like 1

Not sure how true but a North End supporting mate of mine told me yesterday that he still lives locally and his wife hasn't been well over the last year (might explain head not being in it at Sheffield). 

A move to Rovers would probably suit him and whilst we might not pay as much as the other teams linked, not having to uproot may give us an edge.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

In talks for a CB from Liverpool with a wealth of (good) Championship experience and you're unhappy? Who exactly should we sign at CB? Koulibaly?

Who's saying I'm unhappy? I'd be more positive to see this get done because we desperately need players. 

Just now, islander200 said:

With all due respect you don't know what we have to spend.

The owners go through periods were they do spend on recruitment.

It's inconsistent but you can't say they have NEVER spent money on the team.

Quite right, but the evidence of the last few years is that we are in a phase where they don't spend. They also don't spend on defenders bar a few hundred grand here and there. The big buys have all been at the top end of the pitch and never at the back.

So whilst I don't know for sure there is no or minimal money to be spent the mirror of that is nobody else knows if there is good money to be spent.

All we have to go off is actions, words cost nothing, and actions so far suggest I'm right. Happy to be proven wrong, I need to be for our sakes.