BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

On 15/07/2022 at 23:00, simongarnerisgod said:

any news on nyambe??nothing announced by middlesborough or anyone,i cannot believe someone of his ability is sat at home getting out of shape

been linked with 2 French clubs

On 16/07/2022 at 08:32, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Not even a sniff of a rumour, never mind a signing.  Something is definitely 'off' with this whole business.

Good. Its means nothing is leaking and I prefer that leaks weren't happening

On 16/07/2022 at 10:34, neophox said:

What happened to Conor Wickham, two years ago  released by Palace, then by Preston and now by MK Dons....prem league, championship and now league one.....scary...he's just 29....a bit like happened to David Bentley.

far too many injuries

20 hours ago, islander200 said:

Do you still think we don't need any comment from Broughton?

Screenshot_2022-07-16-15-27-54-61_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

No we don't need to hear from Gregg Broughton at this stage. After the transfer window is the right time for that, he needs to carry on doing the job he is doing like bringing in a new head of recruitment which looks Gus Williams plus bringing 5 or 6 quality signings. 

20 hours ago, Tricky said:

Always thought Gregg Broughton was a bit creepy, no wonder we haven't signed anyone.

bit creepy? what are you going on about?

Edited by chaddyrovers

44 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

233 pages of speculation and hand wringing… and then, as always, a load of loans will come in last minute.

All young players too. Which will fly in the face of the ‘experience’ line that the club has trotted out for months.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

1 hour ago, broadsword said:

So Tomasson is the manager but he doesn't even choose which players we sign, have I got that right? 

What a load of pony! 

JDT is the head coach not the manager. He has the final say on whether a player comes in or not. Its Gregg Broughton and recruitment team to scout, negotiation and sign the players

24 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Really starting to lose faith in Gregg Broughton. 

He's now refusing interviews? 

He started off so well, and now he's just being another Waggott.

Gregg Broughton shouldn't be doing interviews with the media right now. His focus should be bringing new players and new staff. 

far too many people want communicate from him right now. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Really starting to lose faith in Gregg Broughton. 

He's now refusing interviews? 

He started off so well, and now he's just being another Waggott.

What's he meant to say in an interview besides empty platitudes?

"Yeah, we're after X, Y and Z. Infact, Richard, here's our transfer target list and our budget - go and tweet that".

He has two weeks to bring players in (and what, 4 weeks after that until the window closes?). If he fails at that then I'll grab a pitchfork and join in with the rest of you. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, roverandout said:

The welsh way is cherry pick English born players that aren't good enough for the England side. Hardly a difficult job 

Yeah like bale, ramsey. Lol .. but you're correct the rest wouldn't have got near any England squad let alone side which makes it remarkable that they've done so well... wouldn't you say?

21 minutes ago, Mercer said:

It's not difficult to spot the bullsh1tters and those who talk the talk but fail to walk the walk!

This site can testify to that 😉

How are you Mercer? Enjoying the summer I hope.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bennisfromheaven said:

My hope is that Greg has a plan to develop youth to its maximum potential.

Set up an environment where youth players feel that they have a chance.

I dont think our budget will stretch to plugging immediate gaps with experience. so this will take a year or so to see the benefits. This year will all depend on JDTs ability to setup the team that doesn't lose games & can collect home wins! A key element will be togetherness of the squad & keeping the fans onside which he has spoken about.

It appears that Gus Williams fits that model & he is the first step in recruiting young players with the right attitude.

JDT looks happy to develop those players but as he said, he needs players to work with. 

I know this is a glass half full perspective but I'm trying to stay positive, as I think GB & JDT need a chance to realise the vision!

That's the plan imo 

We keep hearing from JDT the word project, with Mowbray it was Journey yet nobody actually sits them down and asks.

What is the actual Project 

How are you going to go about it

What is the real plan, the end game, where do you want to be in 2 or 3 seasons.

• Like 3

Just now, tomphil said:

That's the plan imo 

We keep hearing from JDT the word project, with Mowbray it was Journey yet nobody actually sits them down and asks.

What is the actual Project 

How are you going to go about it

What is the real plan, the end game, where do you want to be in 2 or 3 seasons.

thats the job of the local sports reporter to engage with them and get an interview,unfortunately the telegraphs sharpe is as much use as an artex canoe,jdt and broughton have seen through him already,hence they don`t want to speak to him

I asked Rich Sharpe about the Gus Williams coming in as head of recruitment. He reply saying he spotted someone who look like him at the Dundee game. So maybe he has join already but we haven't announce it yet. 

Rovers need to bring 5 or 6 quality signings. This is who I would be looking at

right back - Nathan Byrne from Derby on a free transfer or Callum Brittain from Barnsley 1.5 million pounds

centre back - Tom Lockyer from Luton. 2.5 million

centre midfielder - Cameron Brannagan from Oxford. 1 million or  Cullum Styles from Barnsley. 2 million 

left winger - Todd Cantwell on season long loan 

Striker - Ryan Hardie from Playmouth. 400k

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I asked Rich Sharpe about the Gus Williams coming in as head of recruitment. He reply saying he spotted someone who look like him at the Dundee game. So maybe he has join already but we haven't announce it yet. 

Rovers need to bring 5 or 6 quality signings. This is who I would be looking at

right back - Nathan Byrne from Derby on a free transfer or Callum Brittain from Barnsley 1.5 million pounds

centre back - Tom Lockyer from Luton. 2.5 million

centre midfielder - Cameron Brannagan from Oxford. 1 million or  Cullum Styles from Barnsley. 2 million 

left winger - Todd Cantwell on season long loan 

Styles and Brittain 2 decent shouts but I think you need to get your head out the clouds regarding cantwell,  I'd love him here but we won't be able to afford his wages 

GB can’t be expected to give constant updates on transfers. Let the man do his job. Isn’t it better to keep it all under wraps and then announce things when all signed etc. plus he has hired the Welsh dude to manage the scouting, so things are moving. Let’s see what this new group can do before we start getting too negative. And yes I am aware of the timeline and that the season is just around the corner but panic buys are no good to anyone.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Butty said:

After Nixons article in the sun saying Sevilla want Diaz but they’re only willing to pay half our asking price, he’s now posted on his own social media saying that Sevilla have made a bid… Is this the beginning of the end of Diaz’ time here or is it just waffle from the Big Nicko. 

Heard Seville wanted him in January but it never came off. It'll be pretty much bang on I'd say

6 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Styles and Brittain 2 decent shouts but I think you need to get your head out the clouds regarding cantwell,  I'd love him here but we won't be able to afford his wages 

Well I think we can get a deal for Cantwell on a loan agreement towards the end of the transfer window. 

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Oi, I spotted him first.

400k, you are having a laugh. If it was that much he'd be a nobber by now.  

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 2

We shouldn’t be hearing anything from Broughton during this period. If he’s leading the recruitment drive, he has a lot to be getting on with and - in my experience - you tell stakeholders about what you’ve been getting on with, once you’ve completed it. No point engaging in a post-mortem while the matter is still live.

I suspect we as fans aren’t privy to the strategy that Broughton has agreed with the club and if you think back to his interviews, he wasn’t especially forthcoming on that. There’s clearly a long-term emphasis on youth, so while we probably all agree that we need bodies in, what we think is a sum total of requirements could be somewhat at odds with the agreed strategy.

We have to wait and see, but we shouldn’t be expecting weekly interviews with media from recruitment dept. Very few other clubs would have it that way and I’m of the opinion that if he was spending time engaging with media, he’d have very little else on.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Heard Seville wanted him in January but it never came off. It'll be pretty much bang on I'd say

spain would be a bad move for him,the game over there is about possession and short accurate passes,ben is all about playing off the defenders and getting behind them,he will struggle to get the ball and keep hold off it imo

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well I think we can get a deal for Cantwell on a loan agreement towards the end of the transfer window. 

I don’t think so, he’s back involved with them in pre season so far and has been playing well by all accounts. I think he’ll stick around at Norwich. 

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sharpe by name, sharp by nature. Journalism at it's finest.

59 minutes ago, Gavrover said:

Yeah like bale, ramsey. Lol .. but you're correct the rest wouldn't have got near any England squad let alone side which makes it remarkable that they've done so well... wouldn't you say?

I would 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

We shouldn’t be hearing anything from Broughton during this period. If he’s leading the recruitment drive, he has a lot to be getting on with and - in my experience - you tell stakeholders about what you’ve been getting on with, once you’ve completed it. No point engaging in a post-mortem while the matter is still live.

I suspect we as fans aren’t privy to the strategy that Broughton has agreed with the club and if you think back to his interviews, he wasn’t especially forthcoming on that. There’s clearly a long-term emphasis on youth, so while we probably all agree that we need bodies in, what we think is a sum total of requirements could be somewhat at odds with the agreed strategy.

We have to wait and see, but we shouldn’t be expecting weekly interviews with media from recruitment dept. Very few other clubs would have it that way and I’m of the opinion that if he was spending time engaging with media, he’d have very little else on.

With the transfer window open and new to the job, Broughton should be putting in at least 60 hour shifts every week.  If he cannot find 20 minutes (0.5% of his time) to sit down with the local reporter once a week over a cup of tea then I think it's a p1ss poor effort.

There has to be a reason why we aren't making signings.  We don't need to be told about targets we've missed or the next targets in line.  However, if it's for financial reasons (wages, fees or both) we are missing out then the fans should be told.  Fans themselves have decisions to make, buy a Rovers' season ticket, take the kids away on holiday, put food on the table, turn on the heating.  Openness, honesty and transparency are needed.

IMO, to say nothing is not acceptable and there are simply no excuses.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4