BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 minutes ago, Butty said:

He’s also repeatedly pretty much said he has no involvement in signings and that they’re down to GB and the recruitment team. 

Surely he as some input. I saw it as he was avoiding any leading questions but he's as concerned as we are IMO with warmup games ending this week.

1 minute ago, rigger said:

I think JDT has a choice for right-back of Brown or Pike. The other two are not right-backs. This is no-way ideal, but it is what we have at the moment. I still think we will be challenging for the play-offs this season.

brown did ok in the last match last season,not as quick as nyambe but looked comfy on the ball

1 minute ago, Cherry Blue said:

Surely he as some input. I saw it as he was avoiding any leading questions but he's as concerned as we are IMO with warmup games ending this week.

Yeah I’m not saying behind closed doors he won’t be pissed off because I’m sure he is really, he’s desperate for signings but doesn’t have much of a say in them at the same time is my take on it. 

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

I think JDT has a choice for right-back of Brown or Pike. The other two are not right-backs. This is no-way ideal, but it is what we have at the moment. I still think we will be challenging for the play-offs this season.

Not if our starting FBs are Pickering and Brown / Pike we won't.

I don't think JRC is a RB either, but he played him there against Celtic.

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 1

• J*B changed the title to The Summer 22 Transfer Window of Despair

Why are people writing Brown off as being shite? Purely because of where he signed from? I don't think anyones actually seen him play enough to form a solid opinion, he seemed OK at Birmingham in his one championship appearance. 

He may well turn out to be shite, I just can't get my head round how people are stating it as fact at this stage though!

• Like 9

6 hours ago, J*B said:

The same rule applies though - let's say Nyambe wants a 4 year contract on 20K a week, thats a 4.16M commitment. For the sake of the discussion, let's say we sign Brittain for 1.5M and 15K a week... thats a 4.62M commitment and I've excluded signing on fees and agent fees.

Now I've purposely picked numbers to make Brittain more expensive, but its so tight and I'm not sure theres a better right back defensively in the league than Nyambe. 

I would pick Callum Brittain over Ryan Nyambe cos I rate him highly and think he has the capable to play PL football and it would be very good sensible and logically signing for me. 

4 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Think his agent has sold Nyambe down the river here, promising him a top move. 

1000% agree there

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I would see being the only team not to have signed anyone leaving us ill prepared for the season ahead and compounded by a player we wanted to k8eep choosing to join a promoted side to be a big cause for concern. Lets hope we sign a better replacement as you say. I certainly am not optimistic that we will.

Yes we need a few signings but I don't see us as ill prepared for the season. I'm confident we will make signings. 

On Nyambe possible going to Wigan. Goof luck to him there. I don't rate him as highly has others on here. He did decided to walk away from talks even after reopening contract talks just before the season ends. I think he very average right back at this level. Think we can do better 

29 minutes ago, neophox said:

You dont go to Celtic with this team and get a 2-2 draw with alot of youngsters....there are many talented players at Rovers and JDT gives them a chance. 

It was a friendly where both teams started with basically totally different teams compared to how they finished. 

9 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Why are people writing Brown off as being shite? Purely because of where he signed from? I don't think anyones actually seen him play enough to form a solid opinion, he seemed OK at Birmingham in his one championship appearance. 

He may well turn out to be shite, I just can't get my head round how people are stating it as fact at this stage though!

Are loads of people calling him shite? The problem is and it is something that you touch on, that he is a total unknown and we don't know he will cope. As it stands, he may be expected to start the season as our first choice right back.

I thought he was really poor and out of his depth against Birmingham to be honest.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would pick Callum Brittain over Ryan Nyambe cos I rate him highly and think he has the capable to play PL football and it would be very good sensible and logically signing for me. 

1000% agree there

Yes we need a few signings but I don't see us as ill prepared for the season. I'm confident we will make signings. 

On Nyambe possible going to Wigan. Goof luck to him there. I don't rate him as highly has others on here. He did decided to walk away from talks even after reopening contract talks just before the season ends. I think he very average right back at this level. Think we can do better 

I don't understand how you can possibly see us as not ill prepared. Maybe Waggott put something in your cup of tea!

I am sure we will sign players, my guess at this stage would be predominantly loans towards the end of the window. But the season starts in 12 days and we are massively weaker.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It was a friendly where both teams started with basically totally different teams compared to how they finished. 

Are loads of people calling him shite? The problem is and it is something that you touch on, that he is a total unknown and we don't know he will cope. As it stands, he may be expected to start the season as our first choice right back.

I thought he was really poor and out of his depth against Birmingham to be honest.

I don't understand how you can possibly see us as not ill prepared. Maybe Waggott put something in your cup of tea!

I am sure we will sign players, my guess at this stage would be predominantly loans towards the end of the window. But the season starts in 12 days and we are massively weaker.

well you can`t have been watching the game then,he dealt with everything that came his way very calmly

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

1000% agree there

When you publishing the minutes from your meeting with Swag Daddy? Interested to know what was said. 

• Like 1

Nyambe is such a strange player in that he totally polarises opinion more than basically anyone else I can remember. People now are even creating narratives of his agent totally hanging him out dry as a result of the strong link to Wigan.

Defensively, he is not far off the very best at this level one on one. Many will tell you that being a full back first and foremost is about defending (I would side towards that more) and as a result think Nyambe is absolutely brilliant. Conversely, those who don't rate him (a few of which are the usual suspects in terms of defending every move the club makes therefore this fits their narrative) will understandably point out that as an attacking full back or indeed especially as a wing back he is atrocious and probably as poor as you will find at this level, with a nod to competition for that over on Luton's left side.

In reality I would argue that the truth lies somewhere in the middle, full backs especially at Championship level will likely be either suspect defensively or very conservative but not usually to the extent that Nyambe is which means that he is very useful but equally has a limit to how far up he can play.

@Miller11 I wouldn't argue that we are stronger with Nyambe than without but I would qualify those findings somewhat by pointing out how poor our alternatives are in that position.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Nyambe is such a strange player in that he totally polarises opinion more than basically anyone else I can remember. People now are even creating narratives of his agent totally hanging him out dry as a result of the strong link to Wigan.

Defensively, he is not far off the very best at this level one on one. Many will tell you that being a full back first and foremost is about defending (I would side towards that more) and as a result think Nyambe is absolutely brilliant. Conversely, those who don't rate him (a few of which are the usual suspects in terms of defending every move the club makes therefore this fits their narrative) will understandably point out that as an attacking full back or indeed especially as a wing back he is atrocious and probably as poor as you will find at this level, with a nod to competition for that over on Luton's left side.

In reality I would argue that the truth lies somewhere in the middle, full backs especially at Championship level will likely be either suspect defensively or very conservative but not usually to the extent that Nyambe is which means that he is very useful but equally has a limit to how far up he can play.

@Miller11 I wouldn't argue that we are stronger with Nyambe than without but I would qualify those findings somewhat by pointing out how poor our alternatives are in that position.

His big strength is defending against a winger running at him with the ball. His defensive positional awareness is, imo, poor. The players who do well against him do so because he has no idea where they are.

look at our 3 departures

rothwell,will be warming the bench at bournemouth

lenihan,will get grief from the boro fans when they figure out how limited he is

nyambe.ended up playing for wigan

grass is always greener imo,the big mistake on our part is not getting fees for them,alas,thats how our club is run,by idiots

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

He looked crap against Birmingham - far too slow.

53 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Not if our starting FBs are Pickering and Brown / Pike we won't.

I don't think JRC is a RB either, but he played him there against Celtic.

Wasn't JRC playing at right-back because Brown was injured and Carter was filling in, but being given a bit of a roasting.

Edited by rigger

1 hour ago, Finlay McKenna said:

Wanted more money than what he was worth, wasn't very good for us and doesn't fit what we need, if he was available on a free from another club I wouldn't be remotely interested in signing him. Time to invest in a right back who fits the system.

This fits my theory regarding how Nyambe totally polarises opinion. He "wasn't very good for us" seems incredibly harsh, and the fact that you wouldn't take him on a free at his age having been a regular solid right back at this level even with how poor he is going forward is crazy.

There was a reason that we tried to get him to sign and it is surely worrying that seemingly Wigan had the financial muscle to beat us to the deal. Even if we have what is for us a reasonable budget for fees which I doubt, we have a number of holes in the team therefore signing even a steady mid table standard right back for a small amount will be very hard, especially under a strict wage ceiling.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CheshireRover said:

Sunstroke or been on the tabs today Rigger? Bloody mental if you think we’re anywhere near top 6

Edit

*I admire the optimism*

I got the same replies at the start of last season. A lot of posters were saying we would be in a relegation struggle because we had sold our top scorer. This season the theme is we will be in a relegation struggle because we have lost three reasonable championship level players and two loanees have returned to their club. I don't agree with this theory.

PS. I haven't been out in the sun and I certainly don't partake of Tabs. I couldn't give a fuck if you admire my optimism.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, rigger said:

I got the same replies at thestart of last season. A lot of posters were saying we would be in a relegation struggle because we had sold our top scorer. This season the theme is we will be in a relegation struggle because we have lost three reasonable championship level players and two loanees have returned to their club. I don't agree with this theory.

PS. I haven't been out in the sun and I certainly don't partake of Tabs. I cou;ld not give a fuck if you admire my optimism.

Are optimism pills available on the NHS or do you have to go private?

Either way, you've overdosed