BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

53 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

branagan was`nt one to venture forward much,he did`nt let anyone pass though,i can remember a game against portsmouth when he karate kicked their winger in the head😁,price was a class apart from nyambe as well,loved to get forward and had a final ball as well,decent when called on to defend as well

I remember Chris Prices marauding runs into the penalty area.

One of my favourite fullbacks in a Rovers shirt along with Le Saux..

Edited by damo100
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You surprised we spent/committed to over 1 million pounds to buy him and happy to accept you were wrong we wouldn't spend anymore? 

Surprised we have spent money on a defender yes. Don't know much about the lad so hope he's alright. We will have to see if he is better than Wigan's new RB. Find it unbelievable that we've allowed Lenihan and Nyambe to walk for nothing and then seemingly spent decent money replacing them.

I'd hold back on the willy-waving until we've got another 5-6 in and we see if they are any good.

Still well short of where we need to be 1 week before the season starts. Even you must accept that.

3 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Styles has been heavily linked with Olympiacos. As much as I'd love Styles at Rovers, no chance we can compete with Olympiacos or the like if they're genuinely interested. I'm not "ITK", but I absolutely refuse to get my hopes up over this given the other clubs linked. #DebbieDowner

greek football is completely broken,the clubs can`t even afford maintenence on their stadiums,

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Styles started his career at Burnley. Is the super supporter with an aversion to anything claret and blue aware of this?

I pointed it out a few days ago but I think he's blocked me anyway. Assuming we are on about the same person. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tormund said:

Been moaning every day about no signings then we sign somebody, still not happy 😂

Also been claiming no links or rumours, when there have been, even on days where links have been discussed in the thread.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Styles would be an excellent addition.Can breeze past players like Rothwell but doesn't go hiding always looking for the ball and to be involved.

Be dearer than £1 million now though after his international appearances.

Gone all BBD hasn't he...shouldn't he be called something like Callum Styles Puskas or Callum Styles Orban now? Eh maybe not Orban, that guy's a wanker...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

So its now clear our market is the 3rd Division.

I can see how that will improve us from last season.

But that is literally our market? Young players with potential from lower leagues that are keen to come and prove themselves with wages within our structure and potential sell on value? 

I do not see an issue with this at all and seems a sensible tactic. Much rather that then going after people on 60k a week that will never come to us!

prem teams sign players from the championship all the time doesn’t mean they are not improving. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Reliably informed from Barnsley side (agent) that Styles is rovers bound, seen as a Smith-Rowe type player.

Some fine details re sell on clauses, but this is likely to happen.

This is not related to my meeting today, which i will report on later

Now signing Styles will get me enthused. A good player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil123 said:

Barnsley fan in peace here and I just thought I'd stick my nose in and give what I hope is a honest opinion of Callum Brittain now you've signed him.

When he arrived from MK Dons, the general opinion from their fans was that he was very good going forward (often played on the right of midfield for them) but that he was too weak defensively to play as a RB in a back 4.  

In the first season at Barnsley he played RWB and we finished 5th. He was outstanding for much of this season (in Ismael's system he pushed very high & rarely had to defend in his own half). This suited his game as his energy levels were superb and his close control and running with the ball stood out in many games.

His composure and final ball was still lacking and it became a running joke as to whether we would ever see him score for Barnsley. Having said that, he was great at getting himself into scoring positions and finding space as a wing back.

Last season, like every other player, he was extremely poor in many games. A lot, if not all, of this can be attributed to the fact we had 2 Sunday league level coaches and none of the players ever looked like they had a clue what they were meant to be doing.

The thing that got some Barnsley fans was that out of the entire squad, Brittain probably had the biggest drop in form from the previous season.  At times under Ismael he looked Premier League quality, but last season he looked, like many others, like a L2 player.

All in all, he 'should' be an excellent signing and if he is played to his strengths (as a wing back and high tempo) then the rumoured £1.5m will be a bargain.  If he is played as a conventional RB in a 4 he would probably struggle against the best Championship wingers as his tracking back and positional sense defensively aren't his best qualities.

I'm too old to be 1 of those fans who decides anyone who leaves our club was 'sh*t anyway!' and when he has clarity and confidence, he should add plenty to your team.

This is greatly appreciated. General consensus on here is that’s is a great signing for us.

What are your thoughts on styles?

• Like 1