BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

10 minutes ago, TurkishDelight said:

It is always (almost) more money for an attacker/ midfielder/ winger than a defender. 

A step UP from the championship is easier for an attacking player than a defender. 

Have to disagree.

Liverpool spent about £170million on Becker, Van Dijk and Konate with Konate the cheapest at a reported £36million - from memory, Klopp has only exceeded Koate's fee twice on forward signings (Jota and Nunez).

As for attacking players stepping up from the Championship, there is a trail of 'flat track Championship bullies' who have failed big time stepping up to the PL as we saw with our own Rhodes and Armstrong.

10 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Very quiet again today…Hopefully it’s a sign works being done to bring people in…I think a new face in before Saturday will be the moral boost we need.

Imo, Ideally we need two absolutely barnstorming signings before Saturday to get everyone, players and fans, fired up.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

Didn't Spurs offer Markanday a contract and wanted him to stay? 

They did - and their fans were desperate to keep him, as they saw the potential.

Think he won the U23 player of the season, didn't he?

Either way, he was very highly rated and regarded and I believe he'll turn into a superb player for us in time.

Delap is also highly rated, but didn't see or hear of any Rovers interest in Jan, not sure where that's popped up from?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy said:

They did - and their fans were desperate to keep him, as they saw the potential.

Either way, he was very highly rated and regarded and I believe he'll turn into a superb player for us in time.

Delap is also highly rated, but didn't see or hear of any Rovers interest in Jan, not sure where that's popped up from?

it`s very rare the big clubs make a mistake when it comes to selling young players,if he was going right to the top you can guarantee spurs would never have let him go,they`de have given him a big contract

remember the young lad rovers got from celtic,mcbride i think it was,where is he now???if he was any good celtic would never have let him go

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Andy said:

There wasn't any Rovers' interest.

My understanding is Rovers were offered Delap on loan but Mowbray said 'no'.  Ask Waggott if you see him on Saturday.

• Like 1

A bit simplistic to suggest that big teams dont make many mistakes. Most importantly, the standards between the big teams and ourselves is huge, take players like Travis who was let go by, Rothwell who was let go by Man United, Pearson who is as good a midfielder as youll get at this level who was let go by United, the list goes on.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A bit simplistic to suggest that big teams dont make many mistakes. Most importantly, the standards between the big teams and ourselves is huge, take players like Travis who was let go by, Rothwell who was let go by Man United, Pearson who is as good a midfielder as youll get at this level who was let go by United, the list goes on.

Yeh none of those were ever going to make the Manure team, or Liverpool. They only made a 'mistake' in the sense that if they'd kept them around they could have likely loaned them to the Championship, earning some fees and then maybe a sale. Which isn't a practice I'm fond of (unless I'm playing FM, when I absolutely do this to an extreme that would make Chelsea wince...not cool to do it in real life though).

25 minutes ago, pick32 said:

No one can see it we are all band

I'll be on drums. You must be on the guitar since you're 'pick'. Chaddy can be the singer if we make positive uplifting songs, or we can bring Jal out of board-retirement to be the singer if we want to make music like The Smiths.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, roversinmyblood said:

The Barnsley fans feel styles being moved from lb/lwb to CM was one of the reasons for them being relegated, so it must not have been that successful or it made them too weak on their left flank. 

Well when he played centre midfield against us at Ewood Park he was their man of the match. Brittain was second. 

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You have just dreamt up random figures in your head there. I am not convinced that he is a target, I am not convinced that we will spend £3m on one player in this window, I am not convinced that your hypothetical financial package would attract him, and if that would get him, I bet bigger sides would snap him up.

Would love to be wrong and for him to be announced as a Rovers signing but I would be as surprised as I would be delighted.

Wrong on the figures I've used but used a number of different things like what Brighton have sold one of their centre back with similar figure, 1 year left on his contract, etc. 

Also you aren't convince by much are you? 

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

He really couldn't be arsed going for it he'd rather keep selling the owners the journey, give us all another contract and i'll develop a few more etc

Biggest con out that one. Tells us we're on a journey, as if we are gradually building up a side that can achieve something. In reality relied on 12 months loans year after year.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I suppose there could be merit in the idea that he was initially unavailable and that changed, although Brighton have not signed any new centre backs from what I have seen.

I meant more that Van Hecke was so impressive on loan that he was surely as relevant as anyone when looking for a centre back, so subject to a sudden availability, I would find it a bit strange that he was down the list at all and not at the top.

I personally don't see it happening unfortunately.

They haven't signed any I've heard about, but they will have been assessing their personnel through the summer, and that's what was said would happen with JPVH. They might not have been as impressed with him as we are, or he just might not have been quite on his game at this stage of preseason. Or maybe he's been more the kung fu kicker than the rock we saw. The fact he was the only one of 6 CBs who didn't make it onto the pitch in their last friendly suggests he isn't very high up the pecking order. Although admittedly, there can be all sorts of rationales for why certain players play at certain times in preseason.

Aye, he was impressive, but we don't know how impressive Davies and Anel are, especially since we have a different managerial setup who won't have seen all his games from last season. I don't really know about either player, but they might also be better with the ball or something that suits them better to JDT's intended approach.

No I don't see it happening either. I just don't feel it should be totally ruled out, like I did a couple of weeks back. Unlikely though.

The biggest issue with signing Van Hecke is that his performances which led to him being called up by the Netherlands u21's, will not have gone unnoticed by clubs in his homeland. A club like Feyenoord would likely be interested. 

If there is the smallest chance we might be able to get him, one positive that may sway him could be how loved he is here. If we signed him and made no other permanent signings I'd probably consider this window a success. 

• Like 1

Think we need to start a "JPvH is Shit" thread. Let's try & put others off the scent!

Oh well, if he's only 6th choice at BHA, I suppose, at a push, we could have him back here. He'll be ok as back up for Carter & Philips.

Seems a nice lad, so probably good to have around the place.

Player of the year? Nope, never happened,  we gave it to BBD obviously! Tish. Football eh? All these rumours! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

it`s very rare the big clubs make a mistake when it comes to selling young players,if he was going right to the top you can guarantee spurs would never have let him go,they`de have given him a big contract

remember the young lad rovers got from celtic,mcbride i think it was,where is he now???if he was any good celtic would never have let him go

It happens. Chelsea sold Lukaku at 18, Manure sold Zaha and let King leave. 

1 hour ago, Neal said:

The biggest issue with signing Van Hecke is that his performances which led to him being called up by the Netherlands u21's, will not have gone unnoticed by clubs in his homeland. A club like Feyenoord would likely be interested. 

If there is the smallest chance we might be able to get him, one positive that may sway him could be how loved he is here. If we signed him and made no other permanent signings I'd probably consider this window a success. 

Nah we definitely need more than one more permanent player, no matter how good that player is. Have to start building a squad of assets again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Spurs also let go of Noni Madueke to PSV as a young kid as they failed to agree a long term contract. The lad has torn it up in the Dutch League and is now on the verge of joining PSG for €20 million. 

Furthermore Spurs also failed to agree a new contract with winger Marcus Edwards and let him go on a free transfer to Vitoria in Portugal. He has since joined Sporting Lisbon for €10 million age 22. 

More recently Spurs are set to lose two of their most promising U18 players, Sam Amo-Ameyaw and Jayden Meghoma to Southampton for compensation amounting to just £1m after failing to agree terms on new contracts this summer, the latter playing in the same England youth team as Ash Phillips. 

So actually, Spurs have a track record of losing talent from their academy. 

• Like 2