BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

You're right, he was quality for us, but it doesn't always work out like that, as we saw with Clarkson.

I know it's not only us that does it @islander200, I'm just not pleased to see it become a staple in our transfer windows.

Every summer it seems as though we're waiting to see which kids the Premier League clubs are going to let out. The new guys have come in I.e JDT and Broughton, but here we are with another Premier League youngster on loan. I'll get behind whoever comes in, but it is underwhelming for me.

Reliance on loanees is a fact of life for Championship clubs who are not in receipt of parachute payments if they want to access players of the calibre required to win promotion to the Premier League. In each of the last 4 seasons 2 of the promoted clubs have been in receipt of parachute payments and just one each season were those who were not. Of those 4 clubs Brentford achieved it with their own players but Wolves, Leeds and Forest all made significant use of loanees.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Hopefully I'm not just kiddin myself but the longer we go without any fresh new links to a cb the more it makes me feel we're waiting to see where Van Hecke stands with Brighton once the premiership starts

Brighton are signing a centre half from Chelsea. Looking likely Van Hecke won't be part of their plans. Still not convinced he'll end up here though. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Far too much excitement about Morton just because we've got someone actually through the door. Morton fills a shirt and a place in the squad - nothing more. Is he going to be a first pick and an influential player - unlikely. We need more signings - permanent ones who will make a difference to the team

We don't need a 'first pick' player in CM - those two spots are nailed down by Travis and Buckley. We need reliable depth for the grind.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Why does this player live in Brentwood when he plays for Barnsley?

Rule No 1 of any transfer: you live in the area.

Does that only apply to players, Jim?

Seem to remember that TM had to journey back to Mrs. Mowbray's kitchen in the northeast when he wanted more supplies of Lemon Drizzle Cake.

27 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I think they have explained that - he is here to fill a gap while some of our own youngsters gain more experience (presumably from the bench and the odd cup match). Only time will tell how good he is playing at this level.

They're going to have to start eventually - you can't ask Travis and Buckley to do 90 minutes twice a week in this system. 

15 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

You're right, he was quality for us, but it doesn't always work out like that, as we saw with Clarkson.

I know it's not only us that does it @islander200, I'm just not pleased to see it become a staple in our transfer windows.

Every summer it seems as though we're waiting to see which kids the Premier League clubs are going to let out. The new guys have come in I.e JDT and Broughton, but here we are with another Premier League youngster on loan. I'll get behind whoever comes in, but it is underwhelming for me.

But surely to give a proper judgement will be at the end of the window.

Like I said im not doing cartwheels over signing another young lad on loan but at the same time I won't be using it as a stick to beat Broughton with.

It was more your suggestion premier league kids is the best Broughton can do that I took issue with.

Im not saying Broughton is the answer Or saying he has done good/ he will good just think a fairer time to pass judgement will be when the window is shut.

I still expect some money to be spent on 3 permanents 

23 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

It's one loan signing. That's it. He played in the San Siro in the Champions league so it's appears he is highly rated. 

I also think your criticism of Gregg Broughton is unnecessary. Many Championship clubs are looking at these types of players. That's how some transfers work at this level

• Like 2

Sounds a good signing on paper and, as JDT says, if Klopp trusts you at that age, you must have something about you.

Not sure if we’re likely to get Cantwell, though as he plays on the wing, I’m guessing BB leaving would be the trigger for that (taking cost and wages into account).

If we’re not even asking the question of JPvH, that would be criminal.

Not too sure what to make of this Morton signing, mainly I can't help but be underwhelmed at the likely prospect of Morton being our sole midfield recruit, that would leave us very short of options in there, I thought we were last year so to expect Morton to replace Rothwell with kids replacing squad members would leave us looking lightweight in there to say the least. Travis cannot get injured or banned.

I don't swallow this theory that it blocks our own youngsters, if they are good enough they will break through. There has to be an emphasis on the here and now and I would question whether Garrett/Wharton would have made appearances against the likes of AC Milan and Spurs. If Morton is better than our current options then get him.

I must say that the current recruitment lacks the imagination we were all under the impression would unfold upon a new foreign manager and crucially a director of football being appointed. Totally acknowledge the restrictions notably work permit issues and a lack of time but a full back from relegated Barnsley who Mowbray had previously tried to sign, a playmaker from Peterborough and following tradition, a kid on loan from Liverpool could have easily been a window from summers gone by.

Looking at replacements for who has vacated, obviously assuming that Szmodics does sign, are we better off or worse? Szmodics replaces perhaps the easiest of the 5/6 primary absentees in Khadra who was one of our biggest threats but forever injured, can Szmodics at the third time of asking step up to Championship level. Nyambe had strengths and weaknesses, is Brittain going to be any better? And the least confident I am of the 3, can Morton be expected to fill the Rothwell void? We are still left with Van Hecke and Lenihan shaped voids, our player of the season and captain, and probably our only goal threat from last season.

Of course there are many additional factors, the new manager, a new formation, players returning from injuries, players inevitably succumbing to injuries and positional changes. But interesting to see what people think about the signings so far compared to last seasons equivalents?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not too sure what to make of this Morton signing, mainly I can't help but be underwhelmed at the likely prospect of Morton being our sole midfield recruit, that would leave us very short of options in there, I thought we were last year so to expect Morton to replace Rothwell with kids replacing squad members would leave us looking lightweight in there to say the least. Travis cannot get injured or banned.

Styles still appears to be on the radar, so not sure Morton will be the last of the CM's being recruited. And Styles can also play LB so that would fit with JDT wanting players who can fill more than one role. 

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I know that in your eyes no-one could possibly do as good a job as Saint Tony but it is incumbent on me to point out that since finishing 8th we've lost nine players from that squad (for nothing) so it's totally unfair for you to use last season's finishing position as the benchmark.

If we do beat it, fantastic,  but it would be some achievement I feel.

I think that your point loses credibility when I wanted Mowbray out myself and am glad he's gone.

But as I said earlier, the churn at Championship level in general is a large one, lots of clubs reliant on loanees and losing players with regularity. Last summer, we improved 7 places despite losing our best player and having to make do with loans. Mowbray was regularly criticised for mentioning the journey (Tomasson I suspect will in time) and it was somewhat justified in that it is so hard to build up and up consistently in the Championship.

We seem to have a bit of a budget this summer so there is no reason that a bright new appointment of a manager shouldn't aim to improve on 8th.

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Styles still appears to be on the radar, so not sure Morton will be the last of the CM's being recruited. And Styles can also play LB so that would fit with JDT wanting players who can fill more than one role. 

Can't help but feel like Styles is this summers Maddison. Would love to be wrong as we need another midfielder.

• Like 2