BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Well I’m using hyperbole to illustrate my point.

Similarly, I don’t think anyone from the club has said “our only aim is to give minutes to academy players” but it’s in the post I’m replying to.

I dont agree with the idea of targets that graduates should play x minutes in general. Nothing like that shouls be a target as it causes conflict in the sole purpose of picking a team every week that is best suited to winning that game.

2 hours ago, super_badge said:

I’m not saying we are not light, and obviously anything can happen, but I was surprised at this - 

I think Travis started 45 games last season and played 90 mins in 43 of them.

Of course but as evident in the season prior, we cant guarantee the fitness of any player so you need 2 players for every position. Travis got a bad injury and it left a huge hole.

4 players supplemented by youngsters who may be ready now, may be ready at a later date and may never be ready seems reasonable to me. As it stands we look light.

8 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Do we even have a reserve CB for this weekend?  If Phillips is indeed off to Spurs who do we have behind Ayala and Wharton? 

Be down to the likes of Annesley and I think Gent and/or Pratt, I think one or both of them is a CB. Would be scary stuff...but apparently that's alright.

• Like 2

People overestimate things based on a summer of no games, a natural tendency to be optimistic about our own youngsters and a positive result on the opening day with an almost fully fit squad.

Get through to the depths of winter with 3 games a week, injuries, suspensions, tiredness and a few bad results / performances and the lack of depth will be brought into focus and cost us. Unfortunately when that time comes we won't be able to do anything about it because the window will be shut and it will be a case of limping through to January and finding some loans.

I'd prefer we prepared for those eventualities by adding depth now, when we have time on our side and a full season ahead of us to try and accomplish something, than taking a gamble and potentially jeopardizing success by cutting corners now.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Get through to the depths of winter with 3 games a week, injuries, suspensions, tiredness and a few bad results / performances and the lack of depth will be brought into focus and cost us. Unfortunately when that time comes we won't be able to do anything about it because the window will be shut and it will be a case of limping through to January and finding some loans.

I see your point but this season is different with no games for part of November and most of December.

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont agree with the idea of targets that graduates should play x minutes in general. Nothing like that shouls be a target as it causes conflict in the sole purpose of picking a team every week that is best suited to winning that game.

I doubt that is anything but a “soft target”. If JDT gets the boot for playing the wrong players I’ll concede I was wrong, but I don’t see that happening.

Remains the case that we need the academy to produce a return on investment, and it is a huge advantage we uniquely have in this league to edge toward self sustainability. 

I just don’t think saying “Rovers have played a lot of academy players, this should be encouraged and continue” is as nefarious or unambitious as you state - it’s just the right way to go.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Be down to the likes of Annesley and I think Gent and/or Pratt, I think one or both of them is a CB. Would be scary stuff...but apparently that's alright.

Gent is a left full-back, he started the last U21s friendly at center-back, he was awful there. Of the other center-backs, (Annesley, Saadi and Pratt) I would say Pratt is the only one who may make it as a pro. He is an old fashioned type of defender, when in doubt, put your boot through it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

Gent is a left full-back, he started the last U21s friendly at center-back, he was awful there. Of the other center-backs, (Annesley, Saadi and Pratt) I would say Pratt is the only one who may make it as a pro. He is an old fashioned type of defender, when in doubt, put your boot through it.

Yeah, agree, Pratt is next in line after Phillips.

Buckley has played his whole life as an 8 and will be FARRRR better than Rothwell there. Tony only played him as a 10 or false 9 because of Dacks injury and to protect him whilst he developed physically….

So, for me, Buckley is Rothwells replacement and Szmodics is Buckley’s replacement (as 10 or false 9). I still believe we’ll sign another forward (like Bowler) whether we sell BBD or not but the emergence of Vale could save us the job of replacing Khadra’s goals and assists last season.

Morton is Brad Johnson’s replacement as first sub in that midfield two and Garrett and A Wharton will provide further cover. Fwiw - my next prediction is that A Wharton will the ‘next’ chosen one, after Buckley is sold for BIG money.

Now, we need one permanent cb signing and I genuinely believe that will be JPvH. The sars are aligning. The second will be a loan.

The sale of BBD will likely spark some more signings. We’d need two to cover off his goals and impact. Birmancevic +1 👍🏼

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

With how tight our wage budget is we simply can't afford to have two quality, experienced players per position. Not unless you want to seriously dilute the First XI.

That's where the Academy comes in - Broughton and JDT have got it spot on in my opinion, it's what I've been crying out for for years.

I havent said that they all need to be experienced. For example, Morton on loan and one other would be reasonable in midfield, just Morton not so much.

We have been very reliant on the academy for years so its not something that required crying out for.

49 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I doubt that is anything but a “soft target”. If JDT gets the boot for playing the wrong players I’ll concede I was wrong, but I don’t see that happening.

Remains the case that we need the academy to produce a return on investment, and it is a huge advantage we uniquely have in this league to edge toward self sustainability. 

I just don’t think saying “Rovers have played a lot of academy players, this should be encouraged and continue” is as nefarious or unambitious as you state - it’s just the right way to go.

I dont think that specific quote is unambitious at all, I would agree. I think though that the youngsters should be individually brought in as and when they seem to be ready, not on mass to pad out the squad for budgetary reasons.

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Buckley has played his whole life as an 8 and will be FARRRR better than Rothwell there. Tony only played him as a 10 or false 9 because of Dacks injury and to protect him whilst he developed physically….

So, for me, Buckley is Rothwells replacement and Szmodics is Buckley’s replacement (as 10 or false 9). I still believe we’ll sign another forward (like Bowler) whether we sell BBD or not but the emergence of Vale could save us the job of replacing Khadra’s goals and assists last season.

Morton is Brad Johnson’s replacement as first sub in that midfield two and Garrett and A Wharton will provide further cover. Fwiw - my next prediction is that A Wharton will the ‘next’ chosen one, after Buckley is sold for BIG money.

Now, we need one permanent cb signing and I genuinely believe that will be JPvH. The sars are aligning. The second will be a loan.

The sale of BBD will likely spark some more signings. We’d need two to cover off his goals and impact. Birmancevic +1 👍🏼

We will see if Buckley joins a Premier League side at the end of the season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

John Buckley will be almost universally regarded as the best footballer at the club at the end of the season. When I say almost universally, I mean everybody but @Sparks Rover

Oi...if he scores some.goals, makes some goals and doesn't have January through until May off then we might have something....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Not his 11 assists. 

Bucko will get more goals and assists contributions over the next 3 seasons than Rothwell did over four seasons here.

Oh no they are doing the weird thing of erasing how bad Buckley was last season overall and trying to convince others to drink the kool-aid. Another season of hearing how good poor performances are and how stunning decent performances are. All to save face. Yawn. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Oh no they are doing the weird thing of erasing how bad Buckley was last season overall and trying to convince others to drink the kool-aid. Another season of hearing how good poor performances are and how stunning decent performances are. All to save face. Yawn. 

What do you base this on?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Buckley is our best player.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Buckley played extremely well last season. His passing and winning the ball back were the best at the club. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BigBar said:

I’m really not understanding this post, please elaborate! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

According to Sharpe, Szmodic was Khadra's replacement..which puzzled me a bit as replacing Rothwell seems to have been overlooked.

Not at all. Rothwell has been replaced by Buckley and the fact he has dropped deeper now next to Captain Travis

3 hours ago, den said:

If I had a choice, I’d prefer that he was intense with it.

Well we see what he is like from the weekend cos I don't know much about him. 

5 minutes ago, Dan said:

I’m really not understanding this post, please elaborate! 

I think what he's saying is that he doesn't rate Buckley, thinks he played badly last season, and is upset other people might think differently. Furthermore, he thinks people will continue to overstate how good Buckley is this season to make up for how bad he was last season, just so they can 'save face'.

He may need help. 

• Like 4