BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

24 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Sell Brereton and kiss goodbye to any promotion bid. Our goalscoring talisman would be gone and the transfer fee banked and unlikely to be reinvested in an adequate replacement. We’d be better keeping him in an all out effort to get in the PL and then let him go for free - assuming he wants to leave. 

If we take that approach, we should also make heavy investments in the side and prepare for an embargo next season.  Take the parachute payments to get back up 2 years later. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

Its a serious blow to us though if/when he goes. All that time spent developing him, we got virtually nothing from him for 2 years. Now, when we're expecting a goal from nowhere very game, he's off!

If anyone says "time for Gallacher to step up" I think that would push me over the edge!

We would have to sign a central striker rather than just a series of wide men/midfielders too.

How would people feel if we loaned a guaranted goalscorer (injury permitting of course) for £10-15m for a season? There would be uproar for such an investment.

I get and share the worries about Venkys pocketing the money which I suppose usurps the whole debate anyway but still. Should be a no brainer to sell due to his contract and reinvest if we had normal owners. 

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, yankfan said:

If we take that approach, we should also make heavy investments in the side and prepare for an embargo next season.  Take the parachute payments to get back up 2 years later. 

New FFP rules from next year, so as long as we control the wage budget, now is the best time to make heavy investments and go for it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How would people feel if we loaned a guaranted goalscorer (injury permitting of course) for £10-15m for a season? There would be uproar for such an investment.

I get and share the worries about Venkys pocketing the money which I suppose usurps the whole debate anyway but still. Should be a no brainer to sell due to his contract and reinvest if we had normal owners. 

£15m plus add-ons with 1 year to go on his contract is pretty much accept the bid.

We really need to get our signings done before selling BBD as if we do the signings after, clubs will want more for their players knowing we have the cash in the bank from the sale.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Seen a few people saying that we 'have' to sell him and reinvest the money in order to further our replication of the Brentford model 

People have short memories. It's as though they have completely forgotten the track record of NOT reinvesting transfer funds and also the loss of 3 major assets already this summer for nothing which is NOT remotely like the Brentford model 

All 3 rejected very good contract offers to stay here including Nyambe who gone to Wigan as back up player, Lenihan to Boro which seems a poor move considering where both clubs are in the league currently. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Has he said that he would be happy for the owners to overrule his decisions, which was the scenario I suggested has happened in the past and shouldnt? No.

He has basically said what I've been telling you yesterday it's a club decision and not just down to one person like you keep suggesting which is not how most football clubs are run. 

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I hope he making himself useful and giving the main stand a lick of paint whilst he's taking the summer off. 

Busy bringing players in, talking to agents and clubs, hiring new staff, etc 

48 minutes ago, BRFC_Polky said:

Everton now also linked in the Daily Mail for Brereton Diaz.

Up it to 12 million plus 4 or 5 million in adds on's then a deal can be done. 

I was fully in camp sell brereton early in the summer just because I couldn’t see how we could afford to miss out on a multi million pound sale. However when you see the standard of the league this year, there’s no stand out team. Add that to the start we’ve had and the possibility that JDT has more about him then Mowbray. I’d be tempted to keep him and gamble, see if he can fire us up.

It will be much harder next year when parachute teams that are more cash happy come back down.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

And you got to accept that some of that money has to go on paying the debt off each season. That has we become more self sustainable and less reliant on their money. 

The Armstrong money went towards fill the hole in the FFP allowing us this season to invest in the squad. Plus Mowbray had 5 million to spend in January and didn't 

• Backroom
28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ronaldo on loan for season 250k a week = £13 million loan fee.  

I'd sign that off in a heartbeat if he was committed and happy.

Despite the gamble and knowing the risk to the club finances. Because the potential rewards are so big. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

What if he's sold and replaced with Styles and two of Evjen / Bowler / Birmančević?

That'd be good business. We have to hope Broughton and JDT have a contingency plan in place. 

That would not be good business. You’ve been super eager to sell Ben all along. I think most now what to keep and take a risk. 

1 hour ago, Silas said:

Ronaldo on loan for season 250k a week = £13 million loan fee.  

I'd sign that off in a heartbeat if he was committed and happy.

Despite the gamble and knowing the risk to the club finances. Because the potential rewards are so big. 

I don’t think he’d fancy the high press. 😉

Edited by Dan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Neal said:

He's not replaceable, we can't replace him with like for like quality, we all know that but we can look for other potential match winners that we can realistically buy. Josh Bowler is certainly one of them and would be a safe, solid investment. 

Of course he’s replaceable, everyone is. The question is, can we find one or two to take up the mantle?

Losing BBD is inevitable now imo. The only thing that will prevent it is if Venkys dig in. Losing him will be a blow but this is why we have a manager and DoF team. They will have a plan, it’s not difficult to say “well if we get £15m for Ben, how much can we have?”. JDT intimated that he’d had those conversations with Venkys and GB when he’d first been appointed.

We have to trust the process and hope that they get whatever they ask for from Venkys. I reckon they will! 😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scoobydo said:

There is literally no point in us “cashing” in on Ben. Think about it from a personal Investment you or me might make. £10 invested… 3 years down the line you stand at £20 if you were to cash in now. Now there’s many variables at play and in 1 years time you may stand to lose that £10 in its entirety OR have a genuine chance of turning that £10 in to a 100x + investment. Think of it from a Venkys point of view. Simplistic but let’s take a step back. He is never leaving this window. Done. 

We're not talking about a tenner, unfortunately.

I'm not sure he would want to go abroad, to be honest. Kid on the way, strong support network from his parents. I'm just waiting for a PL team to swoop in and then I think he is gone. Apparently Everton is now very keen (don't go there Ben it will ruin your career). I reckon Leeds, Brighton, Wolves may come in as they have all been linked in recent months. 

That first offer was derisory as it was 10 mil EUR which is 8.4 million quid, 1.4 million more than we paid for him. 15 million quid with 5 mil add-ons and we get it done. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I'm not sure he would want to go abroad, to be honest. Kid on the way, strong support network from his parents. I'm just waiting for a PL team to swoop in and then I think he is gone. Apparently Everton is now very keen (don't go there Ben it will ruin your career). I reckon Leeds, Brighton, Wolves may come in as they have all been linked in recent months. 

That first offer was derisory as it was 10 mil EUR which is 8.4 million quid, 1.4 million more than we paid for him. 15 million quid with 5 mil add-ons and we get it done. 

Manchester to nice is what 2.5 hours flight if that, not much different to signing for a London prem club really.

58 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Same view on family situation,  if in future he does go abroad I would of thought that Spain would be more likely.  

Big decisions for club and player , if it goes similar at Armstrong at Southampton.  Then his Chile involvement would be at risk through lack of involvement. 

Crazy to think how poor he was when we got him to him to now being arguably one of the best players in the division. In terms of forward players, there's not many others you would want instead (aside from perhaps a few of the relegated teams, who are selling most of them anyway). Confidence is soaring, he is creating goals out of nothing, but more importantly, he is clinical now. 

• Like 3