BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

9 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

You should be, our Academy is our biggest advantage in this league.

The only Cat 1 Academy outside the PL I believe - currently have 9 (I think?) Academy graduates in the first team squad and obviously just saw 2 Academy graduates leave after putting in hundreds of appearances for us.

Its our life blood.

On the contrary if we are waving them off on free transfers like Lenihan and  Nyambe after years of development and effort it leads me to question whether it is really all worth it.

Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Reading, Norwich, Swansea, West Brom also have Cat 1 academies so we are not unique. None are immune to having youth players poached just like we weren't when Callum Wright was snatched away by Leicester.

It's a fact of life whilst we remain at this level. All clubs are vulnerable to it. Not a lot we can do other than try to persuade him to stay. IMO it is a far bigger concern that we have allowed assets to depart on free transfers - established first team squad members not kids - to league rivals and lost millions in the process.

Phillips is a work in progress. If he'd rather go an do that at someone's academy than our first team squad that's his choice. I want ready made players for the Championship battle right now.

It's about time we got our act together and brought in a couple of external signings. I am getting fed up with waiting.

Edited by JHRover

5 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Heard of them yes but Lenihan & Nyambe are never worth multi-millions...

Wilder bid £1m for Lenihan back in 2017/18, are you saying his price has gone down since then?

That doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

Just now, TheRevAshton said:

Huge respect to Ash if he stays! 🙏

Definitely! Be good to see a young lad putting his career ahead of a fast buck. Similar to what Jude Bellingham did.

I think the devil will be in the finer detail of the contract regarding release clauses etc. But great for us if he puts pen to paper & ensures we can recoup a half decent fee in the future.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I don't know if we are in the market for 2 centre halves. We seem to be after one on loan from Liverpool. I will trust the manager to make the best decision based on what is right for the club - but I can't agree to people demanding he doesn't pick a player simply to screw the player and his advisors or Spurs.

Whilst he is still a rover then if needed he plays of course.

My initial post was if he does join Spurs then I don't want him back on loan this season.

Barnes and Carter were ahead of him and he was only in the team the other day due to injuries.

It's quite clear to me that JDT is playing Phillips out of necessity at the moment.

2 centre halves are being targeted.Phillips  won't play a big role here this season even if he does stay here

25 minutes ago, J*B said:

Interesting. Lancs Live rarely go against the general grain of reporting. They must have been told something.

Of course, there is a lot of language like 'could' sign it, so I'm not going to ejaculate just yet. Still firmly at the precum stage at best. There are rumblings in my balls though for sure.

Edited by bluebruce

25 minutes ago, imy9 said:

My two pennies…

I am disappointed in Phillips, people saying that you don’t blame him…we have nurtured and developed him for how many years? We have given him a first team shot, we have taken care of him and for him not to show us any loyalty aged 17 is frankly disgusting on his part.

Sign a three year deal, if you back yourself then you will be in the first 11 with us and a pl team will sign you up. Realistically what happens now? He signs for Spurs and what plays for the first team? No he will play reserve football or get loaned out, is it not better to do that with us?

If we can get a few million and a healthy sell on, get rid now. I do have a feeling that he will sign for Spurs and then stay with us for the season. Unlike a few on here I would keep him, why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Entitled to your opinion of course - but I think disgusting is OTT.

The only thing that the lad can do in this situation to pay us back for what we have done for him is reject Spurs' offer and back himself to get another one further down the line. I don't care how talented you are, how much self belief you have, that is a big gamble when you've made a couple of professional appearances and you're an injury away from disaster. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roverstdt said:

I find it sad that some of the comments on here are people are wishing ill of a 17 year old boy who could set up his family for life. He owes us absolutely nothing, nada, zilch, if we could all offer the same luxuries that he can with a move why shoudn't he do it? If we get 3m or so for an unproven youngster i would take no matter what he can do, you just don't know what can happen. Put a sale on clause and see what he can do. 

Why do we have an academy then?  It's the same story over and over again, not just with us but with non-elite clubs up and down the country.  The club invests huge amounts of money scouting, developing and guiding these kids through their childhood, only to be told him and his family owe us nothing and we should be grateful he ever step foot in the place. Bollocks.   

I don't blame him for taking advantage of the disgustingly unfair system, but he definitely owes the club a lot.  In fact, probably a hell of a lot more than we are likely to get in any tribunal.  

As I suggested weeks ago, the club that develops a player through their scholarship should have first refusal on a 3-year deal from 17 - 20 years old - you can't tell me he's going to be playing for one of the top clubs at this point anyway.  The wage structures/guidelines can be set based on a few parameters (league club are in... possible bonus clauses for appearances) to ensure they aren't given unfair deals, and then if any bigger club wants to take them, there can also be a minimum release clause parameter put in place.  All this tribunal shite - it once again protects the big clubs who come like magpies. 

EDIT - Where have you plucked £3m from by the way?  Is that an estimate of the tribunal fee we could expect?  Is it a guess at the fee a club might pay? 

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 5

Just now, Tom said:

That ‘exclusive’ doesn’t say much at all though if you read it

Just that he ‘could’ sign a contract before the end of the window 

Smells like a last minute new offer to me! Maybe Spurs thinking they’re told / being told they’re close got a final offer out of Rovers. Especially after two good debuts in the cup and league. Wonder if the Liverpool defender being kept back has made us gamble on our own instead?

• Like 1

I did feel that a lot of people were jumping to early conclusions on this - as I said days ago, JDT is no fool and won’t play AP if he’s on the verge of walking away, injury crisis or not.

Deal still needs to be signed, but if AP has decided himself that staying with us for a couple of years and earning his big move is preferable to playing for Spurs U23s (with the money that comes with that), then fair fucks to him.

Shows that he does indeed have a sensible head on his very young shoulders.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You don't understand. We were saying that his reputation had fallen to a degree that the new contract that those arguing with the benefit of hindsight are saying should have been offered to him before the start of last season would have been met with a huge amount of criticism.

OhI get it, is merely another attempt by you to justify the belief that you and others always saw a player in him despite the dire performances and that ordinary supporters who correctly identified a waste of money when they saw it haven't the foresight you have.

When Brereton was doing nothing and we had nothing much upfront, the team stagnated. £7m was a lot of money then and spent wisely we might have been up. But no, it was the never-ending journey of Mowbray we had to go on.

Now he's a terrific player he's off!

• Like 2