BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

8 hours ago, J*B said:

RE why I’m not sure on another central defender, we already have four to keep happy and give game time.

There’s dangers - Ayala gets injured, Carter is unproven at this level, Phillips is a kid… but if you’re signing a fifth that means when all are fit, you’ve got three centre backs not playing.

I think we’re invested in Carter now, Pompy loved him in League One, so for me he’s earnt his right to be behind Ayala and Wharton. If we don’t tell Phillips he’s around the first team squad then he may as well sign for Spurs, that’s our trump card. 

So who do we bring in? Sepp, who’s clearly a good player, but we can’t guarantee him any games and signing him would stop the progress of our own two youngsters, Carter and Phillips. 

Yes, if we can somehow sign JVH - or similar - I think we make an allowance for that as he would instantly become our first choice Centre back. 

I guess what I’m saying is we’re in a tricky position at centre half and whilst I’m not against signing a new one, for me it’s only worth signing either 1) a stand out, first choice centre back or 2) a Loanee happy to play occasionally and be behind Carter at least and Phillips potentially as well. 

4 is dangerous imo. You don't want to rinse ayala twice a week all season so the third choice is going to get a alot of games even if Ayala stays fit.

Ayala will get injured and then all it takes is a niggle and / or suspension to Wharton / Carter and Phillips is being asked to play week in week out in a season where we should be introducing him slowly. 5 with pickering as emergency cover is the best realistic option 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 47er said:

And its not as if this is an unexpected crisis--we have known for months that key players were off.

Every window is the same---too little, too late. Then the rest of the season to regret it.

We think problems will be resolved in January and they never are.

Just bloody sick of it.

Spot on.

Sheff Utd have brought in a central defender for £3m and 4 loan signings already, now thats a team going places and it showed on Saturday.

If we're not careful we'll be fighting relegation this season, the current squad are simply not good enough. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

6 players needed. 10 days left. 1 every other day (ish)

Tick Tock....

image.png.0c65b64783cae052c0234a4605edf28f.png

Was just thinking that.....nine days left after today..... we're going to need more than one a day before long.

We're like a struggling cricket team playing an ODI where the required  run rate is already more than one a ball and getting worse with every unsuccessful over.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Gav said:

Spot on.

Sheff Utd have brought in a central defender for £3m and 4 loan signings already, now thats a team going places and it showed on Saturday.

If we're not careful we'll be fighting relegation this season, the current squad are simply not good enough. 

Agreed but they have spent getting on for £7m doing that and you have already ridiculed the £9-10m budget.

So far we have spent around £3m, I am hoping the £10m is right because if not and you are correct SVDB will be our transfer business completed and we'll have signed 4 players and have gaping holes everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Am I missing something and I know it's only rumors and paper talk at this point. But why would van hecke choose Sunderland over us, unless we're not in for him at all? Sorry if I'm behind but just been reading about it now.

Sunderland offer to play Brighton a larger portion of his weekly wages to play regularly in the Championship.

We aren't offering as much or are dilly dallying hoping that Brighton reduce their wage demands at the 11th hour out of desperation.

I think it is as simple as that and whilst the people running Rovers think it is clever or impressive as it saves a few quid it leaves us in a mess in the last few days of the window,

21 minutes ago, Gav said:

Spot on.

Sheff United is the best yardstick of where we are.  Last year we beat them at home and should have won away.

Our squad has collapsed, they have added 5 - without spending a fortune. 

We couldn't live with them in any area of the park on Saturday.  

Damning indication of where we are at.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Am I missing something and I know it's only rumors and paper talk at this point. But why would van hecke choose Sunderland over us, unless we're not in for him at all? Sorry if I'm behind but just been reading about it now.

We wanted him permanently, not on loan, and that's not an option.

It sounds like we wanted JPvH on a permanent deal and had been working towards negotiating that.

Sounds like Brighton decided that they’d rather keep him.

Sunderland is a very bizarre place for him to go though, unless theres a regular ferry route from that region across to Holland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Where do you reckon the new one fits in Mike? I’ve put below the centre backs in the order I would pick them, where does the new one fit in for you? 

Ayala

Wharton

Carter

Phillips

How anyone can watch the last 2 games and believe that Phillips is a suitable 4th choice Championship centre half is beyond me, especially when one of the 3 in front of him is a well known crock and the other 2 don’t have the best injury records. It would just be gross negligence and not fair on the boy (yes, boy).

The word will be out among the clubs about what Rovers can or can’t pay and the messy way we do our business. It seems to me that many clubs won’t deal with us or even offer us players knowing we’re not even in the market. It would certainly reduce the pool of players we can potentially sign and probably explains why we’ve only signed lower league players so far

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Sunderland offer to play Brighton a larger portion of his weekly wages to play regularly in the Championship.

We aren't offering as much or are dilly dallying hoping that Brighton reduce their wage demands at the 11th hour out of desperation.

I think it is as simple as that and whilst the people running Rovers think it is clever or impressive as it saves a few quid it leaves us in a mess in the last few days of the window,

I dont know exactly what's gone on with JPVH but we wanted him permanently and put a bid in for him. As he is  seemingly only going to Sunderland on loan it may be that Brighton have changed their original stance about wanting to sell him.

Either way it's another hard luck story and another long standing target we have seemingly failed to convert.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JHRover said:

He is currently on less than 5k per week at Brighton 

33 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Didn't think he had bad performances and looked good?

I think he's done OK, he's only just turned 17. We're asking a lot of him, I'd have no problems with him being fourth choice and developing further but I wouldn't want him starting every week as he will make errors - like any 17 year old would - and I don't know how his confidence will hold up if those errors keep happening. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Where do you reckon the new one fits in Mike? I’ve put below the centre backs in the order I would pick them, where does the new one fit in for you? 

Ayala

Wharton

Carter

Phillips

Don’t think it’s quite that simple. 

Saturday-Tuesday/Wednesday schedule is too much for Ayala to cope with long term. 

New CB comes in and allows rotation for Ayala. 

If we get two CBs then Rovers are considering sending Carter back out on loan (according to Rich) 

4 minutes ago, rover23 said:

Don’t think it’s quite that simple. 

Saturday-Tuesday/Wednesday schedule is too much for Ayala to cope with long term. 

New CB comes in and allows rotation for Ayala. 

If we get two CBs then Rovers are considering sending Carter back out on loan (according to Rich) 

I agree on Ayala, I wouldn't want him anywhere near a cup game for example. 

I wouldn't be sending Carter on loan personally, I don't see what he gains from it. He's played at the top League 1 every week, if he can't play midtable Championship occasionally then we've failed him. I wouldn't want someone coming in ahead of Carter because it's a short term solution, if the rumours of Sepp requiring a minimum number of games are true for example then we'd essentially be developing their talent instead of ours. 

• Like 2