BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

its always a pint glass 

Footballing recruitment isn't a easy job at all. 

If you want takeover fine but not any time soon. I rather focus on footballing matters not things like that. 

No I am not disappointed cos you haven't given him time at all before given some unfair judgement. Manchester United DoF John Murtough is from an academy background, or the same as Sunderland DoF Kristen Speakman or Norwich Dof who started as working in academy at Wrexham. 

You haven't read what I said. I'm not saying I want a takeover (yes, I want Venky's out). I was giving you an example of what Vinjay used to say in relation to Rovers needing a takeover pre Venky's turning up.

As for Murtough, that backs up my point! He's an Academy man, just like Broughton, and look at how shambolic United's transfer window has been. Just like ours!

Just now, Miller11 said:

It wouldn’t be easy for you and me, but we have supposedly appointed someone with the correct qualification, experience and skill set, so it shouldn’t be this hard!

So lets him get on with his job and judge after the window. Also His job isn't just about recruitment but 6 different areas of the club as GB said in his interviews

1 minute ago, SuperBrfc said:

You haven't read what I said. I'm not saying I want a takeover (yes, I want Venky's out). I was giving you an example of what Vinjay used to say in relation to Rovers needing a takeover pre Venky's turning up.

As for Murtough, that backs up my point! He's an Academy man, just like Broughton, and look at how shambolic United's transfer window has been. Just like ours!

what about the other 2 people I mentioned both with academy backgrounds? 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

So lets him get on with his job and judge after the window. Also His job isn't just about recruitment but 6 different areas of the club as GB said in his interviews

I’m not stopping him getting on with his job. Something clearly is though!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Andy said:

I'd argue that it's not difficult at all to get players in the door.

It is, however, difficult to get the right players through the door.

And that's where we're currently at.

The question is, at one point do we abandon our main targets and just get bodies through the door? Or do we not do that at all and stick to our plan/guns?

Either way, it's unfair to place too much criticism on Broughton until the window has shut and we've concluded our business.

It doesn't become any easier the nearer you get to the end of the window.

What leads  you to  think this mythical right quality of player will be coming when they haven't so far?

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It doesn't become any easier the nearer you get to the end of the window.

What leads  you to  think this mythical right quality of player will be coming when they haven't so far?

I don't necessarily think we'll get the quality we're pursuing, but it's right that we aim for them as opposed to just getting people in for the sake of it.

Whether some choose to believe it or not, we were not far from signing Anel and were in the discussion for Davies, both of whom would have been excellent additions.

It's right to question progress at this stage, but again, we judge when the window closes and we know how the squad looks.

Edited by Andy
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why are you so active in this thread if all judgement is to be withheld until the end of the window?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He's being judged purely on results which so far he hasn't delivered.

How much is down to him, and how much is the constraint of our wage budget ?

Every year we have gone to the wire with transfers - as teams and players demands go down as the end of the window approaches. This year is worse because under the previous management we not only ended up with three players out of contract (not necessarily TM's fault), but a number of other squad players at the end of their shelf life. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why are you so active in this thread if all judgement is to be withheld until the end of the window?

If I were the suspicious, ex intelligence type I'd say he gets a wedge or a deep discount, but you can never discount absolute loyalty and almost manic cheerfulness. Either way I take great enjoyment reading him. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's the fecking transfer window 

Recruitment should be the priority.

The team is No. 1

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

By the time the window closes we’ll have already played 15% of our league campaign, as well as 2 cup games. Being annoyed by what looks like it’ll be yet another last minute scramble for a few deadline day loans (at best) isn’t an overreaction.

In the last 2 games we were uncompetitive due to the fact that we had to use a 17 year old who is clearly not ready for the standard and also physically nowhere near ready to play 3 full games in a week. Of course the chances are that we wouldnt have picked up 6 points but people seem unconcerned that we werent competitive.

Im not sure that the 3 we have signed have hit the ground running either, a mixed bag at this very early stage.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, callumrovers said:

Why is everyone writing GB off already? Some serious toys being thrown out the pram because we haven’t made enough singings yet. Its pathetic, at least give the man until the 1st September before you start passing judgement. Its like people think we are playing football manager and you can just sign players easily. Every day I read the messageboard and its gets more and more toxic.

I'm pretty sure it was JDT who said alarm bells were ringing as recently as today. Maybe direct your ire in his direction.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, callumrovers said:

Why is everyone writing GB off already? Some serious toys being thrown out the pram because we haven’t made enough singings yet. Its pathetic, at least give the man until the 1st September before you start passing judgement. Its like people think we are playing football manager and you can just sign players easily. Every day I read the messageboard and its gets more and more toxic.

Any chance we can nail down a yardstick of what's an acceptable result so I can make judgement, otherwise timed deadlines are pointless. 

Seen it every window, just gets changed up then to still being pathetic if 'you're unhappy only x players came in, should consider yourself lucky we got some over the line'. 

And then on the merry-go-round seems to go. But maybe it's just me.

I'm thinking 3 solid players minimum, ones that are certainly expected to compete for the team sheet. Anything less than that is a big first window failure for me.

You got an expected 'adequate' level? 

27 minutes ago, rebelmswar said:

If I were the suspicious, ex intelligence type I'd say he gets a wedge or a deep discount, but you can never discount absolute loyalty and almost manic cheerfulness. Either way I take great enjoyment reading him. 

It's extraordinary how many replies he gets.  Absolute star of the show,  whether you agree with what he says or not.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, callumrovers said:

Its the amount of negativity. People have different opinion’s, that’s the beauty of a forum. What baffles me is people writing GB off already. 

I agree, it seems obvious that the best chance of signing the quality we need will come in the last week. 

I don't know why people who don't know what is going on behind the scenes, automatically assume it's going badly. 

Let's judge him a week on Thursday. 

• Like 2

Not casting aspersions or anything, but haven't we heard this 'outstanding candidate' crap before, in connection with a vital role in the running and development of Blackburn Rovers...? I wonder whether there will be any questions asked if, and of course it is a big IF, there are no further signings organised by the new man in the shadows, GB, before the deadline?

I expect there might well some indignant and entitled scrutiny of the credentials of the agent(s) who allegedly head-hunted GB for the role into which he has now mysteriously vanished, at least.

Man the lifeboats - more like deploy the defibrillator!

COYB!

Deluge.jpg

I deleted Twitter because my searches were embarrassing.

Van Hecke sunderland

brereton leave

styles blackburn

The list goes on. I find myself looking at the forum twice or so a day. The thread title is helpful. Easy to figure out that the new pages are just arguing/recriminations.

More interestingly, I find myself in a weird conflict with myself about what to make of it all.

Part of me is furious with the complexion of the squad after the two most recent defeats. Another part of me sees two centre backs out injured and makes me wonder, “would I hire new people that may become entirely surplus to requirements in a fortnight, if I was temporarily short-staffed?” It depends on the circumstances, but generally no. I’d make do.

There are aspects of other positions that fall similarly. With Ben; do you replace an asset you’ve got for 9 months now or once it’s expired? I’d milk the existing asset and line up a replacement at that juncture, especially if finances are tight.

In centre mid; If I had two juniors that were coming along nicely, I wouldn’t hire someone with a few years’ experience to come in above them stymie their progress and demotivate them.

Here’s the most frustrating bit for me: I’m beginning to accept the fact that if anyone outside of my business were to question my decisions, I’d take it on board and politely invite them to jog on. I’ve often had to with shareholders and very rarely with a client. In a sense, this is what Broughton’s attitude is.

As a football club, the dynamic between the club itself and the fans is so specific, so unique. Our investment is so much greater than the average customer, which is why we get so upset about it and I don’t think that’s wrong. But on functional business level, Broughton’s kind of doing the right thing by not saying anything and - at least I bloody well hope so - getting on with the task at hand.

We have to assume (for now, at least) this is all in hand and that a version of the recruitment strategy - a successful end result, that is - will be implemented by the window’s close.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Finlay McKenna said:

once again reiterating we made 4 signings in the final 10 days of last summer window...

Is 4 enough? The model is clearly broken. Our wages ceiling is too low to attract top players ie promotion standard, and too low to keep the ones we develop. Yet curiously our ticket prices are at the higher end and, in particular, higher than our local rivals. Crazy.

Seriously we look like becoming a yo-yo club---but between the Championship and the 1st Div.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Just to pass on info I've been told in the last 3o minutes.. we have gone back in got van hecke or went back in for him.. we want him on a perm deal but Brighton reluctant to sell hence offering a new deal and a loan.. has JpvH signed his néw Brighton deal? Because it looks like we have made a last ditch better offer 

Hope there’s something in this. Andy Bayes even commented on Radio Lancs tonight that he had expected VH to be going to Sunderland but it’s all gone rather quiet today.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I refer you to own advice or the previous answer I gave or you can always put me on ignore. 

this is transfer thread so hoping for some news or links not all judgemental posts and opinions 

3 minutes ago, david brent said:

Hope there’s something in this. Andy Bayes even commented on Radio Lancs tonight that he had expected VH to be going to Sunderland but it’s all gone rather quiet today.

brighton do have a surplus of centre backs,certainly would give the fans something to smile about,a left back,left sided midfielder and another centre forward would complete the job😁