BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

15 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I get the rock solid investment scenario.  I just feel decent centrebacks are easier to get hold of than forward players.

Let's say Adebayo at Luton was available for the same potential fee as  JPVH. 

Which one do you make the special case?  

IMO the Luton lad would offer more to our team dynamic than JPVH.

All about opinions I suppose.

We havnt been able to buy a decent one for a decade. Ayala an exception coming in on a free as Boro wanted his big wages for half a season playing off their books. The rest of our CBs come through the academy or in on loan. 

Adebayo would be among my preferences if we somehow decided to reinvest some of the BBD money if he goes. As it stands right now though, we have big holes at the back and in more pressing positions than up top. That of course changes if BBD does go in this window. Right now other areas need addressing and urgently. 

3 hours ago, alexanders said:

I think that those who expect a lot of transfers in might become very disappointed. IF the owners/Waggot went for Gregg Broughton because of his previous experience and great work at Bodo Glimt we will focus on developing our own academy players. This was how Gregg worked at Bodo Glimt. He nurtured and developed Bodo glimts own talent and made a football academy with a cat 1 status (top tier). Glimt then sold many of the talented players for big money and today they are continuing bringing up new players despite selling their best. They are one of the richest clubs in Norway and tonight they play champions league qualifier against Dinamo Zagreb which can bring them 20m in the bank account if they qualify. Its an adventure.

I think GBs job is to put a structure in play which lays the same foundation, a common playing style so that if you change manager you now who to pick because he has to fit a specific style. Later on in player recruitment you know much better where and who to look at. 

So we're on another journey?

58 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Tosin stood out because he could pass (he basically took over the role Mulgrew had in L1 of being a ball playing CB). He couldn't defend though.

Tosin couldn’t defend? I must’ve been watching a completely different player to you. One of the best defenders I’ve seen at the club in years. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Interesting - that is not inconsistent with something else I heard.

Makes no sense though does it?  If they have a budgrt you work within the budget no need to sign of in Pune every dollar of said budget.  Least that's how I have worked with a budget.  Maybe it took that long for V's to sign a cheque.

On JPVH, maybe they have finally got wind of our feelings for the lad and are going to push the boat out a bit for him to quiet us down for a day or two.  Would love him back.  On a permanent, proper badge kisser this lad.

Edited by USABlue

17 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

We havnt been able to buy a decent one for a decade. Ayala an exception coming in on a free as Boro wanted his big wages for half a season playing off their books. The rest of our CBs come through the academy or in on loan. 

Adebayo would be among my preferences if we somehow decided to reinvest some of the BBD money if he goes. As it stands right now though, we have big holes at the back and in more pressing positions than up top. That of course changes if BBD does go in this window. Right now other areas need addressing and urgently. 

Don't disagree with any of that.  Still feel that the defensive situation could be addressed adequately without spending a possible  5-7 million on one defender though because as you say,  there are holes everywhere.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, den said:

Really?

Jesus Christ. I don't mean they gave everyone a bank holiday and unveiled a statue. Just that he had a good loan spell here not so much at Birmingham. But he was seen as a steady championship striker who was still relatively young. People certainly weren't opposed despite what people say now with hindsight.

I'm using him as an example of what can happen when a player comes back second time round. Chapman people loved when he came initially on loan. When he came permanently people wanted more of the same and it never happened.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Jesus Christ. I don't mean they gave everyone a bank holiday and unveiled a statue. Just that he had a good loan spell here not so much at Birmingham. But he was seen as a steady championship striker who was still relatively young. People certainly weren't opposed despite what people say now with hindsight.

I'm using him as an example of what can happen when a player comes back second time round. Chapman people loved when he came initially on loan. When he came permanently people wanted more of the same and it never happened.

My take on Gallagher is that he was very good during the early stages of his loan. He faded badly towards the end of the season, then went to Birmingham on loan and did nowt.

I was very surprised we were prepared to shell out that much for him. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 47er said:

So we're on another journey?

This is just PTSD from Mowbray.

I'm fine with a project as long as there's a clear end point (to be an established PL club) and clear improvement year on year. 

It's way too early to judge Broughton and JDT - there's a lot of promise so far, but obviously clear frustration at the lack of signings. I'd rather make the right signings than just signings for the sake of it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, martonrover said:

My take on Gallagher is that he was very good during the early stages of his loan. He faded badly towards the end of the season, then went to Birmingham on loan and did nowt.

I was very surprised we were prepared to shell out that much for him. 

The same could be said for van hecke and the whole squad for that matter. Despite obviously the Birmingham bit, at the end of last season .

Anyway I would love him back and think he is exactly what this squad is lacking. A bit of fight and desire. Just hope we dont end up desperate and Brighton have our pants down. I think a loan with obligation to buy dependant on how we do this season would be the way to go. And if he signs a new deal on 20k (four times his current wage) a week we should pay the lot to bring him here.

Edited by Danny O.Brien

What a tough and exciting transfer window this will be. Not necessarily for the signings but the drama that is accumulating around the club due to the lack of signing. The Club has a huge 8 days left. To be honest, I think i feel like the midfield and attack is crying out for help. To me with SVDB coming in i wouldn't want another CB with Carter, Philips ,Ayala, Wharton there. It would start to look quite crowded and i actually rate all those CB. I would love to see us add some creative flair to the midfield someone to take the pressure off Buckley. We do need a winger so that we can play Gallagher up front. Would love Styles in and have Edun moved to midfield. 

As things stand this is up there with the  most inadequate transfer windows of the Venky era! And that takes some doing to get up there! 

Made even more depressing because of the huge optimism that was there at the start of the window with JDTs arrival and rumours (that still exist) of there being a relatively substantial transfer kitty available. 

Don't get me wrong I think brittain & sczmodics are good additions to the squad, but they don't even paper over the cracks in our fragile waifer thin team

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 3

I’ve taken a break from this forum and all Rovers news the past few days. The worrying slump, Diaz out rumours, VanHecke to Sunderland and our lack of competency in the transfer market were to depressing to bare. 

Without reading through numerous pages am I right to believe that getting VanHecke back isn’t dead? Completely changes the the outlook on our transfer business if so. 

It doesn’t look good at the moment but things could change quickly:

- We could quite easily win our next two league games against Stoke and Blackpool or at least nab 4 points.

- VDB and JPVH sign up 

- Phillips new deal 

- Dack cements his place back in the team 

On top of that we 100% need an attacker with pace and LB. 

One can dream.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm fine with a project as long as there's a clear end point (to be an established PL club) and clear improvement year on year. 

It's way too early to judge Broughton and JDT - there's a lot of promise so far, but obviously clear frustration at the lack of signings. I'd rather make the right signings than just signings for the sake of it. 

I think thats a fair point.

There seems to be some real issue with the terms of "journey" or "project". I think these are fine and we generally see them at every other club. Klopp had a couple of years I think before they won the champions league or title there was no immediate success from day 1 (open to correction on this), similar to Pep at City. Ferguson himself had to wait 5 or so years for any sign of success, but different time obviously.

I think discussing a project as a 2 year thing is fair, it gives the new management a chance to see what we have, get in their way of playing, tactics etc and reasonable time to bring in players they have identified as improvements over what we have.

When Mowbray talked about journeys and projects it was a total different kettle of fish. That was an absolute shyster who saw that he was clearly not good enough at the role he was in, and just putting in as much spin as possible to keep the higher ups at bay. His "project" had ended 2 years into the job after the first death spiral. Was evidence enough to most that he wasnt up to it after that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't recall that, always recall the fee as being £5m.

Possibly he's been so (predictably) shite the add ons haven't been triggered but even if they haven't it would still be at least £2m too much for him imo. If you were looking at him now you'd struggle to justify a fee of £1m.

No it was definitely that which prompted the famous TM line of 'you could say we've sold a goalie to sign a forward' after Raya's exit.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Agree and as I pointed out earlier. It was this improvement of homegrown players Gregg did at Bodo Glimt. Putting together a structure and leading a academy which long-term provides good money and makes the money self-financing and in a good financial position. 

However most of the money from player sales came from a crop of players who went through the academy at Bodo Glimt and it is a bit early to deem it a success. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I'm guessing Rovers have put it out there that they will re-enter talks with BBD over a new contract after the window shuts. A cynic might say this is a ruse to flush out interested buyers as Rovers want to sell this summer. This 'plan', however, has been scuppered by BBD's side as they have gone straight to SKY and told them he's not going to enter into talks after the window shuts.

LaLiga side hatch Ben Brereton-Diaz plan that Blackburn will be furious with (teamtalk.com)

This would explain what has been going on the last few days. Rovers want to sell now, Sevilla want to sign him on pre-contract in January. 

Gus Williams is head of recruitment; 

Our biggest problem I think is the timing of the different roles. 

Everything should be in place earlier, but sometimes the recruitment process takes time and look at more prestigious clubs also having troubles getting the right head coach and structure in place.

It is okay to be negative and don't buy in to the project. I for one enjoy Rovers as a club with a crop of players from their own academy sometimes losing instead of Danny Murphies looking for a last pay-day. 

• Like 3