BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

7 minutes ago, alexanders said:

Two a stretch you could say 

Rothwell - Hedges

Khadra, maybe Markanday?

Markanday, Dack, A. Wharton, Edun

smodicz who was the Rothwell replacement - the jury is still out. 

several players who could do a job is coming back. No need to pile up with journeymen. 

Too many question marks and risks though isn't there?

Hedges has been sensational so far this season, but lo and behold gets injured after 3 games, and its very early days as to whether he is as good as Rothwell.

Markandy - far too many questions there - I'm yet to see anything that suggests he is ready for the requirements of the Championship

Smodicz - jury definitely still out but not looking great at this point

Dack - not being played so as you were with him and question marks over whether he will get back where he was.

I'm not suggesting 'piling up' with 'journeymen' (though Caulker would fit that criteria) - I'd be content for a couple of the gaps to be filled with loans or younger end additions - but think we are taking a lot of risks and gambles if we are leaving it at 3. I shouldn't be surprised because don't think there was ever any intention to do more than the minimum on bringing players in and hoping those already here step up to the mantle. 

The question to be asked is whether the squad is stronger than the one we had last season. I don't think anyone can argue that it is. We've had a good start and might have a much better manager, but the squad is not stronger and doesn't have as many options or depth. That' alone tells me the summer window has been a poor one to date.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Iceman said:

Plenty wrote off Van Hecke after he was sent off. Plenty gave up on Scott Wharton and Carter, but here we are again, writing off Hyam before he has even signed for us. 

Let the dude sign, and start playing games, and then we can judge him. 

Plenty were hailing Zeefuik as the second coming after one forward run on his debut. Plenty decided Harry Pickering was worth 8 million by mid September last year. There are just as many people who have been left red faced with wildly optimistic initial views as pessimistic ones.

Of course you are right, we shouldn’t write off players, but I’m not sure anyone is. There’s Always going to be discussions around any signing and I’m sure they’ll all get the backing on the pitch where it matters.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, alexanders said:

Will be interesting to see if:

a) Hyam is starting/Bench

b) Van Hecke is on the bench/ 

c) Sepp Van den Berg is on the bench 

d) Brereton is starting for us

might Get some answers today 🙂

Hyam not with Coventry today.Fee been agreed

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Too many question marks and risks though isn't there?

Hedges has been sensational so far this season, but lo and behold gets injured after 3 games, and its very early days as to whether he is as good as Rothwell.

Markandy - far too many questions there - I'm yet to see anything that suggests he is ready for the requirements of the Championship

Smodicz - jury definitely still out but not looking great at this point

Dack - not being played so as you were with him and question marks over whether he will get back where he was.

I'm not suggesting 'piling up' with 'journeymen' (though Caulker would fit that criteria) - I'd be content for a couple of the gaps to be filled with loans or younger end additions - but think we are taking a lot of risks and gambles if we are leaving it at 3. I shouldn't be surprised because don't think there was ever any intention to do more than the minimum on bringing players in and hoping those already here step up to the mantle. 

The question to be asked is whether the squad is stronger than the one we had last season. I don't think anyone can argue that it is. We've had a good start and might have a much better manager, but the squad is not stronger and doesn't have as many options or depth. That' alone tells me the summer window has been a poor one to date.

I agree a lot with What you Are saying. I think the difference between us is that I am prepared to take a risk in our own young players and develop them instead of taking a risk in bringing in New players. 

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Hyam not with Coventry today.Fee been agreed

Can't really see him being part of today's squard (?). If fee agreed then no money transaction will happen until Tuesday so does he remains a Coventry player until next week?

15 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

A squad should get stronger each year.  Having to replace that amount of players us really poor from the previous management.  Clearly the result of underinvestment and too many loans. 

Whilst we've lost a lot, there are also members of the current squad who need replacing with better quality. That's not being addressed at all because we are still plugging holes.

I'm not getting into a debate on whether we are stronger or weaker than last year as truly until I see more than a handful of games I wont judge new signings or how they fair in relation to the previous player. Agree totally on previous management buck stops with Mowbray & Waggott on that and Venkys for not potting him sooner.

You can't complain at what a new team is doing when they have been in post mere weeks, they are fire fighting from the previous regime this window. In truth we lost 2 players we would have loved to keep around Van Hecke & Rothwell, one who was on loan so it's not like we could change that, the other went to the Prem, it is what it is! Lenihan & Nyambe who were decent enough but wanted more than they are worth IMO and the rest deadwood that had no part to play if we want to progress. Let's see how the new management team do in January if they are given the chance, that is.

• Like 1

12 out 3 in is misleading. 

We lost:

JP Van Hecke

Ryan Nyambe

Darragh Lenihan

Ryan Giles

Zeefuik

Brad Johnson

Joe Rothwell

Reda Khadra

That's 8 players

These players left 

Jacob Davenport - never played even when the squad was stretched beyond beleif

Ian Poveda - injured all season 

Harry Chapman - never played

Tyler Magloire - never played and I've seen people say they'd rather play with 10 

James Brown - one game in a dead rubber match

That's 5 players that have left with no negative impact on squad strength imo

We've  brought in, or now have as options 

Brittan

Smod

Morton 

Carter

Phillips

Wharton 

Garret

Vale

Markanday 

That's more like 8 out 8 / 9 in. 3 or 4 quality additions over the next week and I'd say we've plugged the gaps. I didn't expect much more from the window there was a lot to do to make this a JDT squad. When he arrived the squad had loads of gaps to fill, I think it was a big ask to fill those gaps AND upgrade the players we did have to the high pressing high energy type player. Too much to do in one window especially when we've got a new structure starting from a standing start several weeks behind the other clubs. 

I know we'd all like it done in one window but maybe it might take more than one window? TM and Co have poisoned words such as 'project' and 'journey' and I'm not advocating another 5 year build to nothing but there's surely some middle ground between that and expecting an instant overhaul and promotion within 12 months. TM left the squad in a state, I was resigned (but not happy about) us having a midtable finish. Anything else would be a bonus. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

No, he’s not quite ready in my opinion. But there’s a player in there. In any case, we’re talking about replacing players. I think we’ll do that with signings and promotion of youth.

FWIW - I think Garrett can evolve to be as good as Travis and A.Wharton & Phillips will genuinely be in our top 5 best players within 18 months. So the future is bright 👍🏼

If Philips becomes one of our best players in 18 months that's as long as we'll have him. The same goes for any player we have who is outstanding, like Brereton. The idea that we'll gradually build up a team of youngsters to adult stars is just a dream I'm afraid.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

We lost:

JP Van Hecke

Ryan Nyambe

Darragh Lenihan

Ryan Giles

Zeefuik

Brad Johnson

Joe Rothwell

Reda Khadra

That's 8 players

These players left 

Tyler Magloire - never played and I've seen people say they'd rather play with 10 

Brittan

Smod

Morton 

Carter

Phillips

Wharton 

Garret

Vale

Markanday 

That's more like 8 out 8 / 9 in. 3 or 4 quality additions over the next week and I'd say we've plugged the gaps. I didn't expect much more from the window there was a lot to do to make this a JDT squad. When he arrived the squad had loads of gaps to fill, I think it was a big ask to fill those gaps AND upgrade the players we did have to the high pressing high energy type player. Too much to do in one window especially when we've got a new structure starting from a standing start several weeks behind the other clubs. 

I know we'd all like it done in one window but maybe it might take more than one window? TM and Co have poisoned words such as 'project' and 'journey' and I'm not advocating another 5 year build to nothing but there's surely some middle ground between that and expecting an instant overhaul and promotion within 12 months. TM left the squad in a state, I was resigned (but not happy about) us having a midtable finish. Anything else would be a bonus. 

100%

13 minutes ago, eire3382 said:

Hedges really is a new signing since tm never really knew how to play him. Plus he is, in my opinion, doing well so far. And was a huge absence during the recent losses 

So is Markanday and so is Dack considering he hasn’t played for two years!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 47er said:

If Philips becomes one of our best players in 18 months that's as long as we'll have him. The same goes for any player we have who is outstanding, like Brereton. The idea that we'll gradually build up a team of youngsters to adult stars is just a dream I'm afraid.

Who said the idea was that we’ll ‘gradually build up a team youngsters to adult stars’? I certainly didn’t! 

15 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

We lost:

JP Van Hecke

Ryan Nyambe

Darragh Lenihan

Ryan Giles

Zeefuik

Brad Johnson

Joe Rothwell

Reda Khadra

That's 8 players

These players left 

Brittan

Smod

Morton 

Carter

Phillips

Wharton 

Garret

Vale

Markanday 

You win the internet today sir! Nail. On. Head.

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rich Sharpe explaining why we only want 6 signings

So basically we don’t replace payers with better quality players  we only replace them when they leave 🤔🤔🤔… and they they wonder why we keep finishing mid table 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Can't really see him being part of today's squard (?). If fee agreed then no money transaction will happen until Tuesday so does he remains a Coventry player until next week?

He isn't in the squad according to lancs live.He will be traveling to discuss personal terms and a medical

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

We lost:

JP Van Hecke

Ryan Nyambe

Darragh Lenihan

Ryan Giles

Zeefuik

Brad Johnson

Joe Rothwell

Reda Khadra

That's 8 players

These players left 

Brittan

Smod

Morton 

Carter

Phillips

Wharton 

Garret

Vale

Markanday 

So having been 2nd in February, top 6 until the last few games, and having got off to a flying start to this season you'd take a midtable finish now?

There's the Venky effect in plain sight.

Something very solid there to build on for a new manager with new ideas and some backing. Hasn't materialised.

Half the players you name as 'additions' to replace the outgoings were already here last season. Vale, Markanday, Carter etc.

They aren't additions, and we don't know yet if they are good enough. They are getting a look in not necessarily because they are better than those who have left, but by virtue of the fact they are cheap and still under contract and it is more cost effective than signing alternatives.

Maybe it was the ownership and management to blame for the shambolic state of recruitment and contracts that now requires this rebuild, and not Mowbray? If so what makes you think anything has changed?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

So having been 2nd in February, top 6 until the last few games, and having got off to a flying start to this season you'd take a midtable finish now?

There's the Venky effect in plain sight.

Something very solid there to build on for a new manager with new ideas and some backing. Hasn't materialised.

Half the players you name as 'additions' to replace the outgoings were already here last season. Vale, Markanday, Carter etc.

They aren't additions, and we don't know yet if they are good enough. They are getting a look in not necessarily because they are better than those who have left, but by virtue of the fact they are cheap and still under contract and it is more cost effective than signing alternatives.

Maybe it was the ownership and management to blame for the shambolic state of recruitment and contracts that now requires this rebuild, and not Mowbray? If so what makes you think anything has changed?

Re that in bold - Do you understand the point of spending 5m or whatever it is a year for an academy? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Who said the idea was that we’ll ‘gradually build up a team youngsters to adult stars’? I certainly didn’t! 

The 3 stooges in Pune, who clearly live in a parallel universe to the rest of us as the last 12yrs have shown.

“We have a young team here, and also a great academy, and the owners have a clear vision, which is to develop players and become a sustainable Premier League club over time, so I’m really happy to be involved in this exciting new chapter,” Tomasson said.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJW said:

So basically we don’t replace payers with better quality players  we only replace them when they leave 🤔🤔🤔… and they they wonder why we keep finishing mid table 

Or "we don't replace players with better players if the one we already have is still on a long term contract that nobody is interested in signing!"

41 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

No, he stated it as fact. I just pointed out the obvious. 

Surely he's correct with Caulker and Hyam. 

We tried for Anel, Davis, SVDB, which were all in the public domain and if rumours are true JPVH - all before those 2.  

That would make them 

4th, if not 5th choice 

Or D/E list.  That's a fact.

Re Morton, Brittain and Szmodic - they would be impossible to classify as no other names made the public domain - so obviously opinion.  

Still not sure why they have to play for us first before we can have an opinion though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Re that in bold - Do you understand the point of spending 5m or whatever it is a year for an academy? 

Yes, to develop players good enough to play. Hopefully they will be. But there's a balancing act. The Club comes first and that means aiming for promotion. Not existing for the sole purpose of developing players at the expense of club progress.

Its not £5 million a year. Its less than £2 million to the club.

28 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I thought that was implicit in the whole set-up-----becoming a sustainable  Premier League club and all that.

We're certainly not going to buy our way up are we?

It looks like we're at the 'Dack, Hedges and Markanday are like new signings' stage with some. Add to that a wishful thought that the youngsters can step up and there you have it. We're actually stronger than last season, most of the 12 that left were crap anyway, and we don't need that many signings.

The club's PR done for them, the owners and their middlemen smiling from ear to ear. See you all in January for more of the same.

• Like 9