BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

1 hour ago, blue_and_white said:

Personally I don't understand the "taken us as far as he can", "won't get us promoted" etc arguments.

Reasons why we're doing well to even be in the Championship:
Fanbase - we have one of the smallest catchment areas in the entire football league. The town demographic is rapidly changing to a culture less football-obsessed. And we've 3 super clubs on our doorstep (City, Liverpool and Utd) that kids increasingly gloryhunt.
Attendances - thanks to the above, plus it being a low wage area, we have among the lowest crowds in the league, even selling below average priced tickets.
Income - not much TV money outside the PL, so our income is pretty much dictated by the above 2, i.e. its very low.
Squad strength - dictated by our income. Take Brereton and Gallagher out, and its a bargain basement squad.

Reasons we should be in the PL:
We were in it most of the 90s/00s - contributes 0 points per season.
We won it in 1995 - contributes 0 points per season.
We won the League Cup in 2002 - contributes 0 points per season.

Our expectation-levels should now align with the likes of Preston, but I've heard louder boos at Ewood for draws than Preston fans gave their players for getting beat 4-1 in a derby.

The fact that Mowbray has been getting stick this season given all the above is insane. I honestly think we've got the most entitled fans in the country, and as long as that continues, every Rovers manager will get undeserved stick based on delusional expectations.

Nonsense clear off back to the LT

You'll find plenty sensible discussion on here over the last few years if you care to look. No though it's a blame the fans post. Absolute abject rubbish.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Bullshit. Rovers fans have every right to accept better.  We're not f*cking Preston, a club with no higher history.  We were a well drilled epl team before venkys took over.  When u see smaller clubs than rovers doing well in the Premiership ie Burnley Bournemouth for a few seasons.  Then rovers should accept better. Mowbray has signed some decent players and some dross. Its his tactical and organisation of the team thats the problem.  Hes also spent more money than some previous rovers managers and he's been given virtually carte blanche in his reign. It's these kind of posts that absolve Mowbray of any responsibility that wind me up

I seriously doubt Rovers fans spent decades after WW1 moaning that we weren't living up to our history of winning the FA Cup 5 times and the league twice. I reckon they accepted that our situation had changed, big city clubs had properly got involved in football, and those days were past. When we got relegated, 90% of our income vanished and our situation changed. History contributes jack to present circumstances. It scores 0 goals, keeps 0 clean sheets, wins 0 corners, retains 0% possession and adds 0 points.

Yeah Burnley and Bournemouth have recently made it into the PL. Whilst clubs like Forest, Derby, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Coventry, Bristol City, Cardiff (all much bigger crowds than us), Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Charlton, Bolton, Portsmouth (all getting bigger crowds than us a league below) and Bradford (bigger crowds 2 leagues below) haven't. So why should we expect to be the tiny minority doing better instead of the large majority doing the same/worse?

This entitled attitude has been ingrained in Rovers fans for 30 years now, and other clubs fans rightly mock us for it. It seems to be the inevitable price of a period of incredible success. I just thought 10 years after getting relegated, fans might have finally started getting real by now. But no, its blame the manager. The abuse Mowbray has got this season is disgraceful, I'm not surprised he wants to go and heaven help the next poor sod.

Edited by blue_and_white

Away from social media, what ‘abuse’ has he had?

He’s been treated very fairly home and away, never a single call for his head, very little dissent generally apart from standard grumbles and ‘sort it out’, which is par for the course, it isn’t a night at the theatre - and that certainly wouldn’t have been the case at all these other less ‘entitled’ clubs,  as you know what, we are a pretty fair bunch at Ewood…

• Like 6

1 hour ago, blue_and_white said:

Personally I don't understand the "taken us as far as he can", "won't get us promoted" etc arguments.

Fanbase - we have one of the smallest catchment areas in the entire football league. The town demographic is rapidly changing to a culture less football-obsessed. And we've 3 super clubs on our doorstep (City, Liverpool and Utd) that kids increasingly gloryhunt.
Attendances - thanks to the above, plus it being a low wage area, we have among the lowest crowds in the league, even selling below average priced tickets.
Income - not much TV money outside the PL, so our income is pretty much dictated by the above 2, i.e. its very low.
Squad strength - dictated by our income. Take Brereton and Gallagher out, and its a bargain basement squad.

Our expectation-levels should now align with the likes of Preston, but I've heard louder boos at Ewood for draws than Preston fans gave their players for getting beat 4-1 in a derby.

The fact that Mowbray has been getting stick this season given all the above is insane. I honestly think we've got the most entitled fans in the country, and as long as that continues, every Rovers manager will get undeserved stick based on delusional expectations.

We'd probably still be there if we hadn't been deliberately relegated by the people running the club. 

There has been no attempt to get back there since. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

So 2nd in February to play offs gone with 2 games to play. 

Some achievement that.

Yes, was about to post similar. Ten points clear of seventh place at the end of January with just eighteen games to go. Out of contention altogether with a full two games to go just 16 games later. That's one hell of a "feat".

Fuck off Mowbray.

NOW there is no excuse whatsoever not to announce his departure prior to tomorrow's dead rubber. Will give some of us a boost in advance of next season and whilst I have absolutely no idea why anyone would wish to celebrate his turgid record at Championship level with us, those who wish to do so, can also do that.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes, was about to post similar. Ten points clear of seventh place at the end of January with just eighteen games to go. Out of contention altogether with a full two games to go just 16 games later. That's one hell of a "feat".

Fuck off Mowbray.

NOW there is no excuse whatsoever not to announce his departure prior to tomorrow's dead rubber. Will give some of us a boost in advance of next season and whilst I have absolutely no idea why anyone would wish to celebrate his turgid record at Championship level with us, those who wish to do so, can also do that.

Is "turgid" a fair (or indeed) accurate description of a Championship record of 2x 15th finishes, an 11th place finish and likely an 8th or 9th place finish over 4 years, with resources within that range, perhaps towards the lower end? 

No top 6, no relegation worries in any full seasons. Mediocre, ok, decent.

Also, we shouldnt treat tomorrow as a dead rubber, its beyond a long shot but until its mathematically over, why just throw in the towel?

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I want him gone and have wanted him gone much more often than yourself. I was just dismissing the blatant lie that specifically this season that he has been backed, he hasn't.

A club with our resources hindered by our owners would need to overachieve to get into the top 6, that shouldn't be forgotten, and one thing I do appreciate about Mowbray is the element of safety he provides, you are unlikely to underachieve with him and get dragged into a relegation fight. That being said, we should aim bigger, that can be achieved if things come together as has been proved by teams over the years and he isn't capable of pushing us on, so his departure is needed.

he has been more enough backed to achieve at least playoff place over the last 4 years. Fed up with excuses that I've heard from Mowbray and others including. Just look at Huddersfield and Luton that have spend nothing compare to us and are in the playoffs right now. 

We need to move on from him and bring in manager who can achieve top 6/promotion within 2 seasons

It's the arrogance thinking that everything is easy and you are ahead of the curve that makes me laugh. Had we played the team suggested, it would not have won 4-1 regardless of formation with a total rookie at right back and Johnson barely able to move in central midfield.

I have been suggesting that formation  and pressing high for weeks. You didn't and wanted to stick with this false 9 and 5 at the back. 

Who knows what the result would have been if Brown and Johnson played but the rest of the team was what I picked and played the way I have been saying. For me, we need a new manager who will continue to play the same way and formation. The blueprint is there just need a manager to embrace and improve on it. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is "turgid" a fair (or indeed) accurate description of a Championship record of 2x 15th finishes, an 11th place finish and likely an 8th or 9th place finish over 4 years, with resources within that range, perhaps towards the lower end? 

Yes. 

Could easily be 15th/11th/15th/11th yet.

Not even a top ten.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

he has been more enough backed to achieve at least playoff place over the last 4 years. Fed up with excuses that I've heard from Mowbray and others including. Just look at Huddersfield and Luton that have spend nothing compare to us and are in the playoffs right now. 

We need to move on from him and bring in manager who can achieve top 6/promotion within 2 seasons

I have been suggesting that formation  and pressing high for weeks. You didn't and wanted to stick with this false 9 and 5 at the back. 

Who knows what the result would have been if Brown and Johnson played but the rest of the team was what I picked and played the way I have been saying. For me, we need a new manager who will continue to play the same way and formation. The blueprint is there just need a manager to embrace and improve on it. 

I dont doubt that we need to change manager but your naivety and lack of ability to learn from the past in regards to what will likely happen this summer baffles me, we arent an efficiently run club.

I also think you underestimate the difficulty in getting a top 6 place under these owners with our comparative resources, it isnt impossible by any means but it would be a very good achievement. 

You thinking that a new manager just has to do what you have outlined (ignoring considerable selection differences

36 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes. 

Could easily be 15th/11th/15th/11th yet.

Not even a top ten.

Again, mediocrity, average, ok, bang in the middle on average, probably around or indeed just above our comparative wage budget. Could do better and time for a change but certainly could have done worse and not turgid (which im not sure even makes sense in that context) but by making silly comparisons to Kean and Coyle, youve very much nailed your colours to the mast.

9 hours ago, blue_and_white said:

Doing well to even be in the championship. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Jog on dingle. 

• Like 2

Being ambitious and wanting the absolute best for something that is hugely important to most of us is being entitled now. And that is from one of our own supporters. Some will shrug their shoulders and accept anything without dissent. They must be the 'real fans' I hear about.

• Like 8