BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Squad for next season

35 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

The thing is, we don't even know who the manager is so how the hell can Rovers be planning for next season let alone know which players we are going to have!

Or what division we will be in. Although the championship is a good bet.

If the club is as short-sighted as some of you suggest it should be then it’s no wonder we are losing good players for nothing.

Hopefully we have someone a little more strategically-minded than that at the club (although based on the evidence we are allowed to doubt it) 

3 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Well we cant relegated ! So I think its pretty damn certain where we will be playing our football

If there is one thing about the Rovers I have learnt over the years, it is that nothing is ever certain. Until it is mathematically impossible. 

On 03/04/2022 at 18:23, OsloRover said:

Zeefuik (although we have an option on him I don't see us paying 3.5m)

The equivalent of me renting a terrace house for 12 months with the option to purchase it for £1m if I choose to at the end of the agreement.

Not only is he not worth £3.5m, there isn't a chance we'd ever pay £3.5m.

17 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

The thing is, we don't even know who the manager is so how the hell can Rovers be planning for next season let alone know which players we are going to have!

Does any manager under Venkys have the freedom you imply?

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

The equivalent of me renting a terrace house for 12 months with the option to purchase it for £1m if I choose to at the end of the agreement.

Not only is he not worth £3.5m, there isn't a chance we'd ever pay £3.5m.

I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised if our entire budget went on Zeefuik in the summer.

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised if our entire budget went on Zeefuik in the summer.

Whilst nothing surprises me about the current regime - that one certainly would.

I can only assume it was put in place in the thought that we would at least know the price if we got promoted.

When we don't get promoted, if we spend £3.5m on him and then claim there is no money for a striker, I will have given up completely.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2022 at 18:23, OsloRover said:

Squad for next season?

Goalkeepers: Kaminski, Pears

Defenders: Brown, JRC*, Ayala, Carter, Wharton, Edun*, Pickering

Midfielders: Travis, Buckley, Dack

Wingers/Forwards: Dolan, Gallagher, Hedges, Markanday, Butterworth.

Thoughts?

Thoughts are that I'm going "Will Smith" every fan I come across next season (when Rovers are in a relegation battle with a new manager) who say "Mowbray had us nearly in the playoffs last season."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This summer is a rebuild no doubt about it - however I think the strength of our academy puts us in decent shape for it. Basing us off a classic 4231 position as with what we have next season I feel it would work best.

Kaminski 

NEW - Carter - Wharton - Pickering 

Travis - Buckley 

Markandy - Dack - Diaz 

Gally 

First and foremost I don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion that Diaz stays. We probably value him at the 20million mark, though his lack of playing time and goals in the 2nd half of the season may put teams off. It wouldn’t surprise me if no team gets close to our valuation. The ideal scenario for me would be getting van Hecke and Khadra in a swap deal for him. 

There is no doubt that we need a new RB to replace Nyambe - and personally Zeefuik hasn’t proven himself to fork out a couple of million on him. I wouldn’t be opposed to another loan for him but I would personally go for Drameh from leeds (currently on loan at Cardiff). 

If van Hecke doesn’t return then and Lenihan leaves we will need at least 2 CBs. One who is first team quality and one who can provide decent back up. Kipre or Ajayi from westbrom (who have been out of favour this season) could be decent shouts.

Left back we are covered. 

2 CMs are needed - one to provide back up to Travis, and one to push Buckley for that position next to him.

The 3 positions behind the strikes looks alright to me - Diaz (?)Hedges, Dack, Markandy, Dolan and potentially Khadra, who I feel we will be able to get back either on loan or perm. If Diaz goes we will need to bring someone in tho even then I like the look of Markandy, Dack, Khadra behind a striker. 

The striker position will be key. I really feel Gally upfront can make a name for himself next season. Don’t judge him on his performances under this manager. Back up is needed tho and I again would look at leeds and see if we could bring in Tyler Roberts - could also grow into our first choice. 

So in short we need at least 6

GK: Kaminski, Pears, Sterg.

RB: New, JRC.

CB: Ayala, Wharton, Carter, New, New, Phillips. 

LB: Pickering, Edun.

CDM/CM: Travis, Buckley, Edun New, New, Garret.

Attackers: Markandy, Dolan, Dack, Hedges, Diaz (?), Khadra (?) New (?)

Striker: Gally, New

1 hour ago, TruRover said:

This summer is a rebuild no doubt about it - however I think the strength of our academy puts us in decent shape for it. Basing us off a classic 4231 position as with what we have next season I feel it would work best.

Kaminski 

Travis - Buckley 

Markandy - Dack - Diaz 

Gally 

First and foremost I don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion that Diaz stays. We probably value him at the 20million mark, though his lack of playing time and goals in the 2nd half of the season may put teams off. It wouldn’t surprise me if no team gets close to our valuation. The ideal scenario for me would be getting van Hecke and Khadra in a swap deal for him. 

There is no doubt that we need a new RB to replace Nyambe - and personally Zeefuik hasn’t proven himself to fork out a couple of million on him. I wouldn’t be opposed to another loan for him but I would personally go for Drameh from leeds (currently on loan at Cardiff). 

If van Hecke doesn’t return then and Lenihan leaves we will need at least 2 CBs. One who is first team quality and one who can provide decent back up. Kipre or Ajayi from westbrom (who have been out of favour this season) could be decent shouts.

2 CMs are needed - one to provide back up to Travis, and one to push Buckley for that position next to him.

The 3 positions behind the strikes looks alright to me - Diaz (?)Hedges, Dack, Markandy, Dolan and potentially Khadra, who I feel we will be able to get back either on loan or perm. If Diaz goes we will need to bring someone in tho even then I like the look of Markandy, Dack, Khadra behind a striker. 

The striker position will be key. I really feel Gally upfront can make a name for himself next season. Don’t judge him on his performances under this manager. Back up is needed tho and I again would look at leeds and see if we could bring in Tyler Roberts - could also grow into our first choice. 

Personally I think it's at least 90% certain that Brereton is gone. It may be for a lot less than we would like, as you say, but like Armstrong, if he won't sign a new deal we may just have to just make the best of the interest that we have.

Getting near to replacing his goals will have to be the main concern. Gally, who has some good points to his game, won't be able to get nearly enough without bringing in at least two out and out wingers who would suit him if we played him as a number 9. Hopefully whatever money we get for Brereton can fund a move for a reliable goalscorer, but I say that in more hope than expectation.

Pretty much agree with your assessments elsewhere. We'll obviously need a new right back, although after Nyambe's performance against Stoke I'm more convinced than ever that he is replaceable (albeit I'd be very happy if he signed a new contract). If we play four at the back then maybe just one new CB is needed alongside Wharton, with Carter/Ayala/Phillips as the back ups. I'm hoping that another season's improvement in Buckley and Dack with a full pre-season will soften the blow of losing Rothwell, but we'll still need more creativity from the midfield too. 

I'm not sure how many new faces we'll need in the end, but I'd say that at least three or four will need to be starting XI players from the start, so that in itself makes it a big summer for us. 

They'll cash in BBD if the opportunity arrives, absolutely no doubts. 

They've lost out on any transfer fee for 3 of our players and BBD is probably the only big sale we have In the squad left.

Problem of course is that he's now in his last year and has us over a barrel, so clubs will be circling for a bargain and we will be screwed over on price.

Mowbray has already been saying to the press that Gallagher could pick up the goalscoring mantel next season.

We can not go into a season with Sam Gallagher as our main striker. I feel like due to some poor performances out wide but with the caveat of the excuse of playing out of position, people forget that he is not a good striker either and is ineffective when he plays there.

In these months in which Brereton has been out, the onus was on Gallagher as much as anyone and he failed to score between the Boro game at home and the Derby game in which he came off the bench. He has never been a player that sniffs out chances.

He also still lacks many basic fundamentals of being a striker that are unlikely to massively improve with him being around his peak years. His first touch is terrible, he cannot bring others into play, he cannot use his body effectively, he often goes offside.

Sadly I suspect that we will because Brereton will go and I would be surprised to see any of that money reinvested. 

5 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Would it be too much to ask to try and sign this type of midfielder? 

You could argue that Harvey Elliot and, even, John Buckley, are that type of player (in style and certainly not substance) but Mowbray played them mostly in the forward line. They had their moments but I think a deeper position suits both. It's notable that Klopp sees Elliot as a centre mid, rather than forward, probably, because he doesn't have the pace required to be in the front three.

I would like to see the likes of Garrett, Cirino, Whitehall and Vale get a chance to contribute to the squad next season. I think it makes sense to start giving the sub appearances, given that we have almost nothing to play for.

Cirino and Whitehall have had bad injuries and are still out but Garrett could be an option.

3 hours ago, TruRover said:

Kaminski 

Travis - Buckley 

Markandy - Dack - Diaz 

Gally 

Is Brown a right-back ? If Mowbray is still here next season, I don't think it matters what squad we have.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Would it be too much to ask to try and sign this type of midfielder? 

We used to have one of that calibre. Sadly, he retired in May 2009. There are a lot of decent players out there, but the imagination, finances, care and interest are all missing at Ewood these days. Buy plodders and squad fillers and you get a mid table finish at best.

37 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

2 x RB

2 x CB

3 x CM

2 x Winger

1 x Striker

I would add 2 x LB's to that too, but I guess that is being too greedy and unrealistic. For me, Pickering isn't up to it, nor is Edun at LB.

The amount of space that the opposition has had in the last few games, to attack down our left hand side while Pickering is caught upfield is a worry. There is so much work to do in the summer and nobody has a clue who is going to oversee it. A real mess.

On 20/04/2022 at 14:03, roversfan99 said:

We can not go into a season with Sam Gallagher as our main striker. I feel like due to some poor performances out wide but with the caveat of the excuse of playing out of position, people forget that he is not a good striker either and is ineffective when he plays there.

In these months in which Brereton has been out, the onus was on Gallagher as much as anyone and he failed to score between the Boro game at home and the Derby game in which he came off the bench. He has never been a player that sniffs out chances.

He also still lacks many basic fundamentals of being a striker that are unlikely to massively improve with him being around his peak years. His first touch is terrible, he cannot bring others into play, he cannot use his body effectively, he often goes offside.

Sadly I suspect that we will because Brereton will go and I would be surprised to see any of that money reinvested. 

There's a lad at MK Dons Troy Parrott.  He's a Spurs player there on loan.  I reckon he is gettable with spurs willign to loan him to a Championship club again.  He was with Millwall but did not impress there but he is starting to to show the promise he showed with Spurs and is starting to score regularly.  Its a punt but I reckon he could do a job here.  He's still only 19 or 20.

On 20/04/2022 at 11:06, TruRover said:

Kaminski 

Travis - Buckley 

Markandy - Dack - Diaz 

Gally 

There’s more chance of me playing for Rovers next season than Brererton.