BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Squad for next season

With the loanees going and several first-teamers out of contract in the summer, just how big of a gap will we have to fill in the squad for next season?

Loanees: van Hecke, Poveda, Giles, Khadra, Zeefuik (although we have an option on him I don't see us paying 3.5m)

Out of contract: Lenihan, Nyambe, Rothwell, Davenport, Johnson, Chapman

Contact extended: Magloire, Butterworth, Eastham

Sold (anything else would be a big surprise): Brereton Diaz

-------

This leaves us with:

Goalkeepers: Kaminski, Pears, Eastham

Defenders: Brown, JRC*, Ayala, Carter, Wharton, Magloire, Edun*, Pickering

*JRC and Edun both prefer playing further forward

Midfielders: Travis, Buckley, Dack

Wingers/Forwards: Dolan, Gallagher, Hedges, Markanday, Butterworth

Plus any promotions from the U23s/academy. I've already counted Brown as he will be too old for the U23s I believe.

As it looks now we'll be as strong in the goalkeeping department as this season but that's about it, major strengthening needed in all other areas.

Thoughts?

Edited by OsloRover
Contract status Carter

Rovers are going to need 8 to 10 new signings under hopefully a new manager. A new manager will be able to put his own stamp straight away on the playing squad and mould it into his own style, formation and tactics. I would say that a new manager would be exciting challenge for him

I think Lenihan will sign a new contract here. 

Signing wise we need

1 right back

1 centre back. Maybe 2

3 centre midfielder

2 strikers 

1 winger. Maybe 2 wingers depends on the formation we will play

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

No point fascinating at this stage as to how the squad will look next season, so many ifs, buts and maybes.

Assuming we stay down, what will actually happen is there will be a massive gap before any decisions are made, Venkys will demand a flight to India, half the summer will go in the process, all of our rivals will steal a march.

The manager will probably get a new deal, everything revolves around a Brereton sale, and most likely, none of the proceeds will be made available as was the case with Armstrong.

Everything has been made harder with none of the Armstrong money reinvested and with a potential sale of Rothwell and 2 new assets brought in blocked in January.

It's nothing to be excited about.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, OsloRover said:

With the loanees going and several first-teamers out of contract in the summer, just how big of a gap will we have to fill in the squad for next season?

Loanees: van Hecke, Poveda, Giles, Khadra, Zeefuik (although we have an option on him I don't see us paying 3.5m)

Out of contract: Lenihan, Nyambe, Rothwell, Davenport, Johnson,

Out of contract "reserves" (who may re-sign or carry options): Carter, Chapman, Magloire

-------

This leaves us with:

Goalkeepers: Kaminski, Pears

Defenders: Brown, JRC*, Ayala, Wharton, Edun*, Pickering

Plus any promotions from the U23s/academy. I've already counted Brown as he will be too old for the U23s I believe.

As it looks now we'll be as strong in the goalkeeping department as this season but that's about it, major strengthening needed in all other areas.

Thoughts?

Carter signed a 4 year deal earlier this season

• Like 4

We've gone from stock piling midfielders to being pretty thin on the ground....

I expect most of our business will be loan deals, although in fairness we've done pretty well in the past few seasons on that front. Maybe 2 permanent signings.

All depends on the Brereton situation though.

I'd be delighted if we could tie Lenihan down. Not particularly arsed about Rothwell going now, Nyambe I can live with providing we sort a decent replacement.

Ideal scenario would be Mowbray saying his goodbyes last game of the season and we get a new man in ASAP so he can hopefully bring a few new faces in. I would however be surprised if this happens....IF he goes we'll no doubt dawdle and get someone in a day before the new season kicks off. If he signs a new contract, well actually I don't even want to think about that scenario 😪

Edited by Ossydave

31 minutes ago, OsloRover said:

Out of contract: Lenihan, Nyambe, Rothwell, Davenport, Johnson,

Out of contract "reserves" (who may re-sign or carry options): Carter, Chapman, Magloire

-------

This leaves us with:

Goalkeepers: Kaminski, Pears

Defenders: Brown, JRC*, Ayala, Wharton, Edun*, Pickering

Thoughts?

Well done for starting a thread about what will be, I believe one of the most important summers of recent times. The lack of quality and ability of the players left should frighten the life out of any Rovers supporters. Replacing the out of contract players will cost a lot of money, money we simply don't seem to have. I can't see the stand out loan players like Khadra and Van Hecke returning as they will be part of Brightons first team squad. Looking at the list you have compiled coupled with no money and this newly found 'wage structure ' I can't help but worry about next season. And if Mowbray is still here heaven help us.

• Like 3

It's not beyond the realms of possibilities in venky world that mowbrays contract is not renewed and they leave it to the week before the season starts before appointing a new manager. They will view this as saving on a manager wage through the summer months when in their view one isn't needed.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

It's not beyond the realms of possibilities in venky world that mowbrays contract is not renewed and they leave it to the week before the season starts before appointing a new manager. They will view this as saving on a manager wage through the summer months when in their view one isn't needed.

thats a good point and scarily quite possible,i don`t see swag urging them to get it sorted quickly either,unless they are intent on keeping the job in house,johnson or venus,who since the derby 1st half debacle has become visably more involved

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No point fascinating at this stage as to how the squad will look next season, so many ifs, buts and maybes.

Assuming we stay down, what will actually happen is there will be a massive gap before any decisions are made, Venkys will demand a flight to India, half the summer will go in the process, all of our rivals will steal a march.

The manager will probably get a new deal, everything revolves around a Brereton sale, and most likely, none of the proceeds will be made available as was the case with Armstrong.

Everything has been made harder with none of the Armstrong money reinvested and with a potential sale of Rothwell and 2 new assets brought in blocked in January.

It's nothing to be excited about.

Sadly, this post is on the money.

Venkys generally drag their heels on most decisions. Even signing a player takes an ice age because it needs approval from these clowns.

The manager thing is a huge concern because even if they don't want to keep Mowbray, they won't be even remotely proactive in having another lined up from the word go.

The squad will need an astonishing amount of work and the chances of us bagging any decent players who are out of contract (disclaimer I haven't checked if there are any) is merely a pipe dream as it always seems like our slow approach allows other clubs to steal a march on us.

• Like 1

• Backroom

This summer is probably the most perilous off-season since 16/17 when a combination of poor transfer business and Owen Coyle sunk us. 

Replacing Mowbray and bringing in 8-10 players, at Venky's glacial speed and with what will at best be a modest budget? Can't see that ending well. 

• Like 3

Big rebuilding job for whoever it is in the dugout in the summer. Most likely Mowbray on an extended deal.

I think Lenihan may be waiting to see how this season plays out before making a decision. Go up and he probably signs a new deal. Nyambe and Rothwell are gone, I feel.

Very worrying looking at that list above. Question marks over the full backs/wing backs. JRC not good enough, nor comfortable playing back there. Brown is untried. Can't say that Edun or Pickering have really stood out on the other side either. Ayala has shown that he can't be relied upon.

We will be left looking so thin in midfield and attack, both in numbers and quality. I'd expect a raft of loans brought in again, plus a few freebies and maybe a couple of buys for around £400k each if we're lucky.

Is it true that there is more wiggle room for the owners to spend this summer? Not that I am expecting them to do that. I just remember somebody on here saying that when ffp was being discussed a few months ago.

Ideally, they'd get a new man in and allow him to spend a bit. But this lot don't do ideal. I'm expecting Mowbray to be given a new deal and our business to be done at the usual snail's pace it does with these owners.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

FFP is just assumed to be the main reason, for some reason many Rovers fans have seen how Venkys have behaved in the last 11 years and have concluded that only FFP regulations are stopping them from investing more.

Yes there is a definite brain deficiency amongst some of the fanbase.

• Like 2

The issue with this summer is actually one that has been year upon year in the making. We have relied on loans for so long that it always means we are starting 4-5 players down before we even start. Then there's the fact that we let a lot of out of contract players go last summer - admittedly of mixed quality - without really replacing them. As we have seen repeatedly, nobody is actually worse than somebody. Then there's not replacing Armstrong, the only permanent CB signed being an utter crock and you are looking at the issues coming to a head in spectacular fashion. The issue for me is we have always been relying on sticky plaster solutions to our problems. It's no way to build a squad. 

• Like 4

It’s taken over a decade for us to get a decent defence under Venky’s. Despite his “defenders are coming” speech, it’s taken Mowbray 4 years and 9 months.

Take Nyambe, Lenihan and Van Hecke away and the age old problem returns. There’s only Wharton left who I am completely comfortable with.

As Ossydave states, we are already light on midfielders, and 3 are out of contract.

Brereton will surely be the subject of big bids and will be off.

But not to worry, we will have at least half a dozen wide strikers!

An absolute mess.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, neophox said:

Van Hecke is the one we should go for.

Think the only chance we have of signing him is if we get promoted.

Think the lad is destined for bigger things than Rovers in PL.  His performances will not have gone unnoticed. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

Think it will be disastrous if we don't go up.

Nyambe, Lenihan and Rothwell will all be off for nowt.  Why on earth would Lenihan want to stay here at his age knowing our squad is going to be decimated?  Lenihan's next contract will almost certainly be the biggest of his career and at his age he needs to make hay whilst the sun still shines. 

Think it's a certainty Brereton will go with La Liga the most likely destination.

• Like 1

At a minimum (to not go down) we'll need:

A goalkeeper reserve

2 x RB to replace Nyambe, one backup

2 x CB to replace Darragh & JPVH

3 x CM (replacing Rothwell, Johnson, Davenport) - at this moment in time we'll have Travis and Buckley available and that's it

1 x Winger to replace Khadra, I'd argue 2

1x Striker - Gallagher is crap, give Dack someone to pass to

Brereton leaves then add another winger/striker to the list.

Only way we accomplish that is if Mowbray isn't here. If he is, I expect to see 4 strikers signed, 2 of who will play CM on the opening day of the season and one will start right back in a new system he's invented called 'the back 6'