BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

7 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I actually think he’s probably right about the key point - we still don’t know what we want, (or what we’re doing).

It really is pathetic.

I agree with roversfan99 on this, we don't even have a vacancy until the Club announce he is going.

I hope Mowbray will reimburse anyone who has placed bets on the next manager market should he agree a new deal this week having previously insisted on several occasions he will be leaving.

Almost definitely, well probably, well I'll wait and see what they have to say. Never say never.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

And there was no middle ground to take between the Bournemouth January approach and what we pursued? 

And if that middle ground had failed in keeping us second, certainly it could have helped to prevent a fall to 8th in three months… 

I think whoever sanctioned the Markandy and Zeefuik deals probably thought they’d make a lot more of an impact.

Also I don’t recall Bournemouth, Fulham or many of the other teams in the top 6 missing key players (like Mitrovic / Solanke) for huge periods either.

None of our issues fall under the remit of “effort” in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I never expected us to compete with Bournemouth financially, as they’ve still got parachute payments.

But, I did expect us to at least try and strengthen the squad from the position we were in. Injuries are inevitable and need to be expected. As it happened, nobody we signed in January really made any difference, if we are completely honest.

Going from second in February to finishing 8th overall though. Some collapse, that. 

Brown, Markanday, Zeefuik and Giles. I genuinely thought they’d bring more at the time but captain hindsight has proven me utterly wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I think whoever sanctioned the Markandy and Zeefuik deals probably thought they’d make a lot more of an impact.

Also I don’t recall Bournemouth, Fulham or many of the other teams in the top 6 missing key players (like Mitrovic / Solanke) for huge periods either.

None of our issues fall under the remit of “effort” in my humble opinion.

I didn’t say it did, thought the players did everything they could. They just needed a bit of help.

Markanday and Brown had never played a first team game of football (I’m discounting semi pro League of Ireland), Zeefuik is a run of the mill full back, that isn’t a club serious about promotion.

The lack of effort was with the owners, just like it has been for 12 years, it’s just much more noticeable when you see the big time slip away.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Brown, Markanday, Zeefuik and Giles. I genuinely thought they’d bring more at the time but captain hindsight has proven me utterly wrong.

Don’t get me wrong, we were unfortunate with Markanday getting a serious injury pretty much right away, but you don’t need the benefit of hindsight to know that playing a LWB at RW when he’s never played there before probably wouldn’t get the most out of him….

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We don't have a managerial vacancy chaddy, until a press release is on the official website outlining that Mowbray is to leave the football club.

Incredible that anyone pays notice to a word he says. "Would imagine" keeping it as vague as possible, and just naming a series of well known managers whilst adding a couple of unnamed mystery extras to keep to his own narrative of a 6 man shortlist.

He himself admits that the club doesn't know what it wants yet Nixon seemingly must be ahead of the curve.

"Would imagine" are the key words there. Nixon doesn't know any more than the rest of us.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I think the point that Gav makes well, is that it’s difficult to imagine us competing with the type of investments that Bournemouth made - ie Cantwell on £40k a week loan, Nat Phillips, woodman, Laird, Brady on a free and 5m+ on Dembele, Hill and Moore as permanents.

Wtf have Bournemouth got to do with it? We should have been in the play offs at least. So we are competing with the likes of Huddersfield and Luton.  Amazing that people can move the goalposts to suit their narrative 

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

Don’t get me wrong, we were unfortunate with Markanday getting a serious injury pretty much right away, but you don’t need the benefit of hindsight to know that playing a LWB at RW when he’s never played there before probably wouldn’t get the most out of him….

Nothing to do with effort or trying that though, and whilst I agree that this was stupid decision, it came during a period Dolan, Gallagher, Brereton and Khadra had injuries.

Lack of nous, lack of inspiration, lack of ownership support… but effort? Can’t agree.

This is part of the reason why I’m not going full “roverandout” in my celebrations on TM leaving.

I remember rovers teams in the last 12 years who literally didn’t give a fuck, and certainly didn’t “try”.

2 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Nothing to do with effort or trying that though, and whilst I agree that this was stupid decision, it came during a period Dolan, Gallagher, Brereton and Khadra had injuries.

Lack of nous, lack of inspiration, lack of ownership support… but effort? Can’t agree.

This is part of the reason why I’m not going full “roverandout” in my celebrations on TM leaving.

I remember rovers teams in the last 12 years who literally didn’t give a fuck, and certainly didn’t “try”.

Dolan Gallagher khadra? Hardly key players.  I'm pretty sure Luton forest Sheffield utd and Huddersfield have had injuries.  Nice dig at me. Should I be a Mowbray apologist like some people? No one is arguing over the players effort. Just a shame the 'manager' didn't give a shit. 

“Effort.”

Don’t think any player goes out and deliberately doesn’t try. But players can certainly be on the one hand at it 100% or if things are going badly hide or if not wanting to get injured lay off by a few % - ditto if nothing on the game or sometimes prioritising one match over another.

But it was unquestioningly the case in the game with Johnson as false 9, that the energy levels of the players in the first half was low, the body language poor and the football hopeless. Second half, without a doubt the players were ‘at it’, snapping into tackles, pressing like demons. Clearly, they then believed in the changed shape and tactics.

That second half change of attitude and performance was down to management issues and nothing to do with money. Only a simpleton would deny the importance of cash (and obviously a competent structure off the pitch.) But many here contend that irrespective of that, Mowbray has underachieved, failed badly, and not moved us on in 5 years.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

"Would imagine" are the key words there. Nixon doesn't know any more than the rest of us.

" Couple of surprise additions" on there as well. Lol.

Am I right in thinking people actually now pay him for that shite?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aletheia said:

“Effort.”

Don’t think any player goes out and deliberately doesn’t try. But players can certainly be on the one hand at it 100% or if things are going badly hide or if not wanting to get injured lay off by a few % - ditto if nothing on the game or sometimes prioritising one match over another.

But it was unquestioningly the case in the game with Johnson as false 9, that the energy levels of the players in the first half was low, the body language poor and the football hopeless. Second half, without a doubt the players were ‘at it’, snapping into tackles, pressing like demons. Clearly, they then believed in the changed shape and tactics.

That second half change of attitude and performance was down to management issues and nothing to do with money. Only a simpleton would deny the importance of cash (and obviously a competent structure off the pitch.) But many here contend that irrespective of that, Mowbray has underachieved, failed badly, and not moved us on in 5 years.

Great Post.

Mowbray chose not to bring in a back up striker by his own admission - the inevitable happened and BBD got injured - the tinkerman returned and started playing people in positions they were not comfortable with and the players seemingly lost belief in what they were doing.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Dolan Gallagher khadra? Hardly key players.  I'm pretty sure Luton forest Sheffield utd and Huddersfield have had injuries.  Nice dig at me. Should I be a Mowbray apologist like some people? No one is arguing over the players effort. Just a shame the 'manager' didn't give a shit. 

You’re more than welcome to that opinion, aka TM not giving a shit but I couldn’t disagree more.

I personally think he isn’t good enough to achieve our expectations, not savvy enough, not tactically inept but not creative enough, and unable to consistently motivate a team that’s evidently good enough to finish top 6.

As @aletheia eloquently points out - there are ample examples of this team being mismanaged due to poor decisions, but I still find it difficult to see how this falls at the door of effort.

Before TM, I remember plenty of occasions where our team simply didn’t give a shit.

Hopefully we’re not going back down this avenue!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JBiz said:

You’re more than welcome to that opinion, aka TM not giving a shit but I couldn’t disagree more.

I personally think he isn’t good enough to achieve our expectations, not savvy enough, not tactically inept but not creative enough, and unable to consistently motivate a team that’s evidently good enough to finish top 6.

As @aletheia eloquently points out - there are ample examples of this team being mismanaged due to poor decisions, but I still find it difficult to see how this falls at the door of effort.

Before TM, I remember plenty of occasions where our team simply didn’t give a shit.

Hopefully we’re not going back down this avenue!

Completely agree with ur points but i also don't think he gives a shit because he has made it perfectly clear its not about results. Has downplayed our chances time after time.  Doesn't look motivated in the dugout. The players could do so much better with a better more passionate coach

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Completely agree with ur points but i also don't think he gives a shit because he has made it perfectly clear its not about results. Has downplayed our chances time after time.  Doesn't look motivated in the dugout. The players could do so much better with a better more passionate coach

He let the cat out of the bag about him not giving a shit when he said "We're not going to get disappointed about drawing at home to Blackpool" or similar.

A proper manager who gave a toss would have been devastated/incandescent in equal measure at the run of form in general and that performance in particular.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You would be right in thinking that. He has got a Patreon page set up where people can get daily football stories, transfer/manager updates and so on, for a monthly fee.

Nobody within Ewood seems to know what is happening, so how a football journalist is expected to is beyond me. But each to their own, I guess.

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He let the cat out of the bag about him not giving a shit when he said "We're not going to get disappointed about drawing at home to Blackpool" or similar.

A proper manager who gave a toss would have been devastated/incandescent in equal measure at the run of form in general and that performance in particular.

Again, obviously he was gutted but hes not going to come out and say as such post match in the way you imply. He was presumably trying to keep the players heads up, the usual spiel about putting the point in the bag rather than inciting panic.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

I saw them words and thought the same. The pedestal that he puts himself on (and his worshippers do) seems to have become unstable. He gets his information from sites like this for sure.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

he did come across as completely indifferent a lot of the time,judging by some of the performances over the last five years,it came across in the players as well,barring a good few months this season,the whole 4 years in the championship has been underwhelming,the journey was never coming to fruition in my eyes

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

You would be right in thinking that. He has got a Patreon page set up where people can get daily football stories, transfer/manager updates and so on, for a monthly fee.

Nobody within Ewood seems to know what is happening, so how a football journalist is expected to is beyond me. But each to their own, I guess.

Good grief. Anybody who pays for the privilege of reading Alan Nixon’s made up nonsense needs their head examined, and deserves to be parted from every penny they spend on the service. 

You nailed it in your second paragraph - from a logical perspective anything he reports about rovers has to be fabricated, and why anybody gives his gossip and rumour-mongering a second glance is beyond me. 

• Like 2

When Waggot gets confirmation from the V’s that TM’s contract is not being renewed, then we will get an announcement.  The only reason not to announce it is because you’re not 100% sure it’s definite.

Waggot will have recommended Mowbray stays but Venkys don’t agree and have said they’ll phone Mowbray to explain the situation this week (hence the TM comments about not knowing how much authority Waggot has and expecting a ‘phone call’.

Anyone who thinks Waggot and the owners are in discussion about who to interview and what kind of manager they want are in cuckoo land. There will be a Teams meeting scheduled early June to discuss it. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Amazingly, he appears to have a patreon. £2 per month by the looks.

Ironically, it's headline is "Alan Nixon is creating football stories" (presumably, out of thin air)

• Like 1

@glen9mullanThe rumours atm all seem to suggest that the managerial search has only just begun, with shortlists being drafted up and interviews soon to be scheduled. Whilst this wouldn't be surprising, given there is still no official statement about TM, you said you heard Farke was in the picture back in March. This goes against the current consensus as it suggests there HAS been some planning going on behind the scenes, albeit perhaps w/o any of the boards involvement.

Do you believe, as the reports suggest , we are playing catch-up again or do you think an appointment is imminent? 

Edited by DingleDestroyer
  • Like 2